Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

BKK-PEK involuntary downgraded 747 (3 cabin) to 777 (2 cabin)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-PEK involuntary downgraded 747 (3 cabin) to 777 (2 cabin)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by Portolan
Thanks. Knew or assumed all this. I should have been more explicit:

1) Has anyone been on this flight lately who can report the equipment?

2) How reliable is the Thai site? If Thai and United disagree, who would you believe? I'd like to believe the Thai site, but recent experience would trump.
If you have a print out of your itinerary showing F and it does get downgraded I think you're best bet is to 'play dumb' and still rock up at F check in and say you didn't know it was downgraded. I think they would look after you and give access to F lounge.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Portolan
Thanks. Knew or assumed all this. I should have been more explicit:

1) Has anyone been on this flight lately who can report the equipment?

2) How reliable is the Thai site? If Thai and United disagree, who would you believe? I'd like to believe the Thai site, but recent experience would trump.
I fly BKK PEK with TG's day flight TG614 2-3 times per year. this flight has switched many times as far as I remember between a 747 and a A330. But usually the plane that was scheduled was also there.
At the moment there are still some uncertainties about TG's winter schedule as you see from other threads. So I would check in 2-3 weeks when everything is clear
if it is downgraded, travelslife's advise might help to get F treatment; spa is not so busy from 0800-1000 so you might get your 1 hour massage
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
TraveIsLife and BibSabai:

Thanks for both replies. Useful information. First, that despite this thread that says the B747 ended earlier this year, that apparently isn't the case so there is some hope, and second that "playing dumb" when I show up at the airport in BKK with my printout showing F class might get us the enhanced treatment (not that I much care about the 60 versus 30 minute massage, but Mrs. Portolan is looking forward to it). Actually care less about the inflight experience since it isn't a long flight (compared to the subsequent 13.5 hours back to the US!).

Talk about serendipity: a few minutes after I posted this I got a United revised itinerary email now showing the Thai #614 flight as a B773 in I (aka C). That's probably a bad sign... At least (per seat map and seat selection) it the B777 with flat beds.

Last edited by Portolan; Sep 1, 2014 at 6:53 am Reason: update
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:34 pm

Booked this flight in January and thank you Thai for waiting to the last minute to downgrade us to business class. So for our last United award trip (due to 88% increase in *A awards) we have now been screwed by Thai airways both directions. They cancelled our leg in April and never told us or United and now just lost our First Class return leg too. Not worth busting my butt to save for award travel anymore. Too late to get any new routing I'm sure. so disappointed in all this. Oh well, as Rick Steves always says, "...and most important, always be flexible"
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:21 pm

back to a 747 on TG614! at least in early November

I check our reservations periodically on the United web site and noticed tonight that our seats on the erstwhile 777 were now in row 23...which doesn't exist on the Thai 777 (the aircraft type still showing on the UA site). Pulled up the reservation on the Thai site and was, indeed, now in row 23 on a 747, still downgraded to business. Called United and the agent got us back into F which is what now shows on the Thai site. I was then able to reselect our original seats. Right back where we started from.

So, the good news is that F service seems to be back on TG614, at least in early November. The bad news is that Thai didn't reverse the downgrade. If you were downgraded, better check.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:10 am

one additional thing...

Our pre-selected meal choices survived the downgrade from F to C, but got lost in the rebooking in F. So, if you are in the same situation, reconfirm or choose your meals after getting back into F.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
All I will say is that TG has removed F service from several markets, but hasn't removed it from HKG IIRC... so this is the logical market to "sample" it (especially given that HKG is a pretty good place to connect).
Seems even this isn't a sure bet anymore. Just got an itinerary update e-mail from United and noticed that our BKK-HKG segment in Feb was downgraded from F to C.

A trip to the Thai website informs me that they are now running a 777-300 instead of a 747-400 for the late afternoon flight (TG606). Looks like the early morning A380 is the only option out.

*sigh*
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Collins
Seems even this isn't a sure bet anymore. Just got an itinerary update e-mail from United and noticed that our BKK-HKG segment in Feb was downgraded from F to C.

A trip to the Thai website informs me that they are now running a 777-300 instead of a 747-400 for the late afternoon flight (TG606). Looks like the early morning A380 is the only option out.

*sigh*
on these "regional" routes Thai very often changes the equipment depending not only on demand but also for technical/maintenance reasons and others.
since they seem no longer to operate their B747's within Asia and deploy the A380 only to Japan and to HKG there is not much First Class left.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.