Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Smiles business class did not make me smile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Smiles business class did not make me smile

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Yes, yes and yes.

I'd put schedule first, for an hour flight.
After all you should be well used to some clinging euro J
Considering I am used to NEK this may well feel luxurious!

Thanks for the quick answers.

Thai Smiles booked.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
As others have posted, for short flights at low cost Thai came up with Thai Smile, which is their version of a LLC to compete with the other LLCs. What they refer to as Thai Smile Plus, which 3rd party booking engines refer to as Business Class, is identical to the Business Class used throughout Europe. It is hardly a new concept and for some reason it seems to work fine in Europe without massive revolts. (The same UA business award to go from LHR-FRA will be in the same garbage economy seat as Thai Smile.)

I have flown the BKK-MFM route several times. As much as I hate business class on european carriers I also hate the business class on thai smile, it is simply an economy seat with the middle seat blocked, worth to me 1.5x the price of economy. But... I suffer fine through the euro carriers, as well as Thai Smile, because these are short flights.

Ultimately, it is up to you to determine what kind of plane you are flying on. If the convenience is there for a Thai Smile flight I take it, as is the case when I need to go to Macau from BKK, flying into Hong Kong and waiting hours for the 45-minute ferry over wasn't worth the hassle and time in order to take a proper business class seat, though, your priorities may be different than mine. I am just glad that Thai offers a flight to MFM.

In closing, compared to other LLCs in the region, I think Thai Smile likely has the best service/seat of them all. Have you flown Air Asia or Nok?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:20 am

(I posted here before...)

It is over before it began:

Last week I purchased a tkt CNX-BKK-CNXon PG for only a THIRD (!) of the smile price. Even the smile tkt was in "before-the-curtain-class", a whY seat is a whY seat is a whY seat.

Oh, this brings me to the question: Is there any class divider on smile flights at all?

On PG I have also the 30kg luggage allowance and a (sub-sub-standard) lounge at BKK. Only CNX is lackinging the lounge experience....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
What I don't like is seeing Thai smile creeping in now on routes like BKK-DEL! I find that ridiculous.

Thai need a smaller aircraft with proper business class seats. Heck, Thai Smile would be just fine if they just put in silkair style seating in business, I don't understand why they don't. Then add normal TG business class catering.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
What I don't like is seeing Thai smile creeping in now on routes like BKK-DEL! I find that ridiculous.

Thai need a smaller aircraft with proper business class seats. Heck, Thai Smile would be just fine if they just put in silkair style seating in business, I don't understand why they don't. Then add normal TG business class catering.
Thai Style is also on CMB routes and which is not that short of a flight.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thai Style is also on CMB routes and which is not that short of a flight.
.... and at horrendous times when a proper sleep is required
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pogonation
.... and at horrendous times when a proper sleep is required
Fortunately there is the CX flight.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Fortunately there is the CX flight.
That's true, but it's a fair bit more expensive than TG usually TG was so cheap even when it was operated by an A330. But CX is definitely worth the premium now to have a proper J seat!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Today I found my reservation on CMB-BKK TG2902 in J, next week, cancelled.
Listed as "unable, does not operate".

Scrolling down the same page it actually appears rebooked, but in Y (economy restricted), while the following segment is correctly in J.
Here the status is "confirmed, timechange".

The scheduled departure is the same, no changes.

Call centers seem all off for the weekend.
Any clue what happened?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:52 am

Today I found my reservation on CMB-BKK TG2902 in J, next week, cancelled.
Listed as "unable, does not operate".

Is there any reason to fly "J" on smile/WE? If not, UL is the way to go. You get a new lie-flat seat on a A330 and a meal like this:

Colombo - Bangkok

Fruit Juices
A selection of freshly squeezed juices and exotic pasteurised juices

Fresh Fruit

A seasonal assortment of finest fresh cut fruits

Cereals

Yoghurt
A fine selection of homemade exotic and plain yoghurts

Main Course

Traditional Sri Lankan Breakfast
kiribath a rice dish associated with breakfast and cooked using coconut milk
is paired with fish curry and "Seeni Sambal"
a onion preparation simmered in tamarind, sugar and spices

Sri Lankan Style Savoury Omelette
Serued with duxelle mushrooms with tomato, rösti potato &
chicken lingus sausage

Singapore Rice
A popular Asian breakfast dish which is made fried rice style with generous
helping of chicken, prawns, shitake mushrooms & spring onion

Vegetarian Choice
Corn, leek & potato cake served with creamed spinach in tomato cup,
sautöed mushroom & vegetable kebab with napolitana sauce

A la carte meals
Our chefs have selected the ideal meal combinations with each meal. However in our quest to enhance your on-board experience we are at your disposal to afford any combination of your choice from the above mains selection

Bread Basket
A selection of freshly baked breads from our bakery
and accompanying preserves

Hot Beverages
Freshly brewed Ceylon tea or your selection from our flavoured exotic
teas and coffee

We apologise if occasionally your choice is not available
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Fan2502
Is there any reason to fly "J" on smile/WE? If not, UL is the way to go. You get a new lie-flat seat on a A330 and a meal like this:
It's part of longer itinerary, very well priced, and as *A I take also into account the earned miles.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
It's part of longer itinerary, very well priced, and as *A I take also into account the earned miles.
Thai smile is in the process of leaving star alliance. No more miles
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
Thai smile is in the process of leaving star alliance. No more miles
That's their plan at least. They've yet to de-list TG numbers and still work the TG/TG code shares for the time being.

Count me as one skeptical they'll actually go through with this move. Just a personal feeling.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I have a domestic flight on Thai Smile next week, but absolutely no need to credit the miles to ROP as I burned all those miles except for a few hundred orphan miles and have no intentions of giving those crooks (ROP management who arbitrarily decide to change the rules and expire everyone's miles earlier than they promised) any more of my business. I'll be crediting the miles to OZ and post the results here as to whether they went through or not.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by A_Lee
I have a domestic flight on Thai Smile next week, but absolutely no need to credit the miles to ROP as I burned all those miles except for a few hundred orphan miles and have no intentions of giving those crooks (ROP management who arbitrarily decide to change the rules and expire everyone's miles earlier than they promised) any more of my business. I'll be crediting the miles to OZ and post the results here as to whether they went through or not.
For now the flights are still listed as TG/WE so *A benefits and mileage acrual should not be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.