Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Downgrade Compensation Offer Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrade Compensation Offer Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
This is pretty pathetic behavior by TG. I hope it works out for you. Please keep us updated.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: UA/AA
A few years ago I experienced a change in class of service on Thai going from BKK - NRT due to an equipment swap. This happened to me more than once.
At the check-in desk they gave me 9k Baht ( approx $300US) in an unsealed envelope as compensation for the downgrade. I learned of this situation by checking on my reservation on-line a few days before departure. There was no email or call from the airline at all. Never be surprised on TG.

Last edited by Paiteaw; Oct 26, 2013 at 10:42 am Reason: Add on
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
You are entitled to 75% of the one-way F class fare filed on that nonstop route pair according to EU261/2004 and precedents for similar cases
Award-flyer`s dream only unfortunately . Rules say 75% OF THE PRICE OF THE TICKET . And " THE TICKET " is what the person uses to enjoy Thai Airways services on that occasion . Based probably on US-miles or whichever system .
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
delete
Old Oct 26, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by somkiat
Award-flyer`s dream only unfortunately . Rules say 75% OF THE PRICE OF THE TICKET . And " THE TICKET " is what the person uses to enjoy Thai Airways services on that occasion . Based probably on US-miles or whichever system .
I know personally multiple people who got 75% of the revenue ticket price after working with the local regulator. EU261 specifies that compensation must be in cash, and miles have no cash value
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: ROP
I know personally multiple people who got 75% of the revenue ticket price after working with the local regulator. EU261 specifies that compensation must be in cash, and miles have no cash value
Only my opinion, miles can convert to cash equivalent so they can calculate the cash value from used miles.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joy16
Only my opinion, miles can convert to cash equivalent so they can calculate the cash value from used miles.

Please elaborate on how miles can be cashed out.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

I rejected the offer and wrote regarding "Regulation 261/2004 states that I am entitled to 75% of the one-way F class fare on that nonstop route"

If anyone has any other information on how to get this processed, I would appreciate it.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11
I rejected the offer and wrote regarding "Regulation 261/2004 states that I am entitled to 75% of the one-way F class fare on that nonstop route"

If anyone has any other information on how to get this processed, I would appreciate it.
I would be shocked if TG paid you before the national regulator compelled them to. I'd recommend contacting the LBA.

If you don't have the time or patience to fight your way through this, you can try using a service like EUClaim.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Please elaborate on how miles can be cashed out.
I mean the cash equivalent can calculate from the used miles based on the value of ticket class.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by joy16
I mean the cash equivalent can calculate from the used miles based on the value of ticket class.
Even if it went that route, which would be quite unorthodox, it would be 80,000 UA miles * 0.75 = 60k UA miles. Since compensation has to be given in a cash equivalent, the only fair valuation is the cost to buy 60k UA miles at 3.5 cents each, meaning the OP is owed at minimum $2100 according to EU law.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turtleisland
Even if it went that route, which would be quite unorthodox, it would be 80,000 UA miles * 0.75 = 60k UA miles. Since compensation has to be given in a cash equivalent, the only fair valuation is the cost to buy 60k UA miles at 3.5 cents each, meaning the OP is owed at minimum $2100 according to EU law.
UA miles can be purchased at 2.1cpm but there's no way anything of the sort will transpire.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Would you be so kind to specify which " local regulators " you are talking about ?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
UA miles can be purchased at 2.1cpm but there's no way anything of the sort will transpire.
The promotional price at which they can sometimes be purchased is even less relevant.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:02 pm

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...2007072001.pdf
Originally Posted by somkiat
Would you be so kind to specify which " local regulators " you are talking about ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.