Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Retrofit status on TG's 747s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF KF
Originally Posted by BinSabai
wishful thinking...flew SYD BKK in march and it was showing 9F and finally was a 10F plane...
Maybe it will be the reverse this time. Wait an see!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
For those interested in TGs latest guess as the what aircraft will end up on what route:

Feb-Mar 2014
http://www.thaiairways.com.au/vwm/up...o_Mar_2014.pdf

Mar-Oct 2014
http://www.thaiairways.com.au/vwm/up...o_Oct_2014.pdf

Can someone explain to me why the new F disappears from the MUC route? There doesn't seem to be any route that is gaining a 744 with new F. And no route with a 744 is changing frequency. So where is the bird going, and why take it off of a longhaul?
Updated guess from TG

http://www.thaiairways.com/static/co..._Oct_14_V2.pdf

I notice that new F has mysteriously reappeared for MUC.....
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Updated guess from TG

http://www.thaiairways.com/static/co..._Oct_14_V2.pdf

I notice that new F has mysteriously reappeared for MUC.....

jasonvr,

Thanks for posting quite helpful (as I am going MUC-BKK) my question is what is the area shaded in Pink on this .PDF?? It is not just for A380 as A340 is in the other areas and not in pink....?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by tasnam
jasonvr,

Thanks for posting quite helpful (as I am going MUC-BKK) my question is what is the area shaded in Pink on this .PDF?? It is not just for A380 as A340 is in the other areas and not in pink....?
I think it probably is intended to highlight A380 destinations.

I believe this chart is wrong in its categorisation of 747 J seats...thai is putting 2+2 together and coming up with 4...ie thinking that the aircraft they just refurbed would have full flats in J...But that's not actually what they did!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
I think it probably is intended to highlight A380 destinations.

I believe this chart is wrong in its categorisation of 747 J seats...thai is putting 2+2 together and coming up with 4...ie thinking that the aircraft they just refurbed would have full flats in J...But that's not actually what they did!
Nowhere on that chart do they imply that any of the 747s have full flat J.

The only AC on there with full flat J are the 777-300ER, A380, and 787
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:19 pm
spk

Programs: TG*G
Nowhere on that chart do they imply that any of the 747s have full flat J.

The only AC on there with full flat J are the 777-300ER, A380, and 787
They put 747 biz seat as same type as A380 and 77W. That's so wrong
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by spk
They put 747 biz seat as same type as A380 and 77W. That's so wrong
No they don't. Look very carefully at the symbology. The J seat symbol with some yellow on it is the full flat (Royal Silk Class lie-flat seats). The other is not (Royal Silk Class shell seats, recline up to 167 degrees). Look at the legend at the bottom.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:59 pm

Look at the seat listed for Sydney, London, Munich 747 J class...it is the yellow one.

The same seat is found on the 772ER and the 777-300 (e.g. Moscow) and it is not denoted in yellow. That is what I (and spk) are getting at.

I understand they might be playing a game of semantics with the degrees of recline perhaps...167 vs 170??? Still, it's highly misleading.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:49 pm

Look at the seat listed for Sydney, London, Munich 747 J class...it is the yellow one.

The same seat is found on the 772ER and the 777-300 (e.g. Moscow) and it is not denoted in yellow. That is what I (and spk) are getting at.

I understand they might be playing a game of semantics with the degrees of recline perhaps...167 vs 170??? Still, it's highly misleading.
Are we looking at the same picture?

Sydney, London, and Munich have no hint of yellow in them implying they are not lie flat

Edit:!!!!!
I just realized I answered my own question - we are NOT looking at the same picture. I pulled the guide up from two different places and they are DIFFERENT! When I was replying, I was referring to the other one (screenshot below).

This guide from the Australian site has the proper notation:
http://www.thaiairways.com.au/static...2014_Final.pdf

The other link from the US website is totally messed up.

Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:54 pm

Edit:!!!!!
I just realized I answered my own question - we are NOT looking at the same picture. I pulled the guide up from two different places and they are DIFFERENT!
That solves that mystery then!

I wonder if there was once a (logical) plan to retrofit the 747 All Series with a full flat product...my assumption that 787 product would fit and is certified...and for some reason best known to TG they took the strange option of fitting the old and pretty unpopular product?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That solves that mystery then!

I wonder if there was once a (logical) plan to retrofit the 747 All Series with a full flat product...my assumption that 787 product would fit and is certified...and for some reason best known to TG they took the strange option of fitting the old and pretty unpopular product?
Probably pricing. Given how often people are getting TG premium products on awards as opposed to actually paying cash for them, it is probably reasonable to assume that it's not worth investing in a new C product in old planes. (We can also wonder about investing in F product, but 10 seats as opposed to a lot more probably does make a difference).

Keep in mind that LH equipped their A380s with their version of SQ's old Spacebed product up through about 2012 or so, so it's not that unusual for airlines to do this.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:45 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
THAI should equip the 747 with BE aerospace Diamond seat like in 787. That seat use practically the same space as the current angled lie flat seat.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by spk
THAI should equip the 747 with BE aerospace Diamond seat like in 787. That seat use practically the same space as the current angled lie flat seat.
Not if it's going to cost them money they won't get back from increased sales.

Given how most of the farang on FT who fly on TG are doing it on *A award tickets from other airlines (*cough*Avianca*cough*), it kind of rings hollow for people who won't pay cash for an airline ticket to give that airline grief about not investing lots of cash in their hard product. I do understand that it's kind of lame for the people who actually fly and pay money to TG, though.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Anybody know the schedule for new 380s and phasing out the non-refurbed 747s.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Anybody know the schedule for new 380s and phasing out the non-refurbed 747s.
What do you mean new A380s? I am pretty sure they already have all 6 they had on order. Thai love a hodge podge fleet! 6 of this 6 of that, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.