Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Important ROP Changes regarding Status Evaluation and Mileage Expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Hyatt Globalist

For all details see here

http://www.thaiairways.com/frequent-...20Dec12_EN.pdf

Obviously there will be some changes starting March 2013. I still have to figure our if for the better or worse
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Did TG always require a new 12 month requal period begin on the heals of hitting status?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, they've delineated Platinum qualifications.

Note: 80,000 miles are required, including class of service bonus miles, for travel on THAI in Royal First Class or Royal Silk Class, within each evaluation period of 12 consecutive months, for 2 consecutive periods.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:17 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
What's interesting is that once you've qualified for a level (*S, *G or *P), you have two evaluation periods to focus on. The first is for renewal at the current level - and that's hitting the threshold within 12 months from qualification. The second is for the next level - and that's hitting the next threshold based on the "original" 12 month qualification period.

Example:

To QUALIFY in YEAR 1:
  • Start in Mar'13
  • (Say) Hit 10k in Jun'13 for *S (valid to Jun'15)
  • To get *G, another 40k b/w Jul'13 and Feb'14 (equivalent to 50k in the period Mar'13 to Feb'14)
    (but also watch period Jun'13 to May'14 for *S requal - see [1] below)
  • (Say) Hit 50k total (or 40k since Jul'13) in Oct'13 for *G (valid to Oct'15)
  • To get *P, another 30k b/w Nov'13 and Feb '14 PLUS 80k in Mar'14 to Feb'15 (equivalent to 80k in the period Mar'13 to Feb'14)
    (but also watch period Oct'13 to Sep'14 for *G requal - see [2] below)
  • (Say) Hit 80k total (or 30k since Nov'13) in Dec'13 to be eligible for *P if you hit 80k in Mar'14 to Feb'15
To QUALIFY or REQUALIFY in YEAR 2
  • Qual month for *S was Jun'13, so to requal *S need to hit 10k in Jun'13 to May'14 (Same as [1] above)
  • Qual month for *G was Oct'13, so to requal *G need to hit 50k in Oct'13 to Sep '14) (Same as [2] above)
  • But if not already *G, need to hit 50k in Mar'14 to Feb'15 to qual *G
  • For *P, if hit 80k in Mar'13 to Feb '14, then will qualify *P (subject to other criteria) if also hit 80k in Mar'14 to Feb '15
    [/I]
Note: In my example I've ignored the "extended period" qualification of 15k for *S and 80k for *G

Presumably the qualification month for *P will determine the rolling 12 month period for *P requal, also.

Possible downside: There is no mention of the old benefit where you received the automatic two year requalification for *G if you hit 50k in the year following qualification. I wonder if this great benefit has been removed?

Upside: Under the old system, you could hit *S/*G by flying 15k/80k in the period b/w joining and the end of the next calendar year (so if you joined in Mar '12, you could fly 15k/80k b/w then and Dec '13 to get *S/*G). Under the new system, you have more time... this is a benefit for some. You'll have a full two years, from Mar'12 to Feb '14 to fly the 15k/80k. This will probably result in an increase in the number of *S's and *G's as a result of the extended time for the 15k/80k qualification pathway. Not sure if this is a good thing or not - more people qualifying will probably lead to a decrease in benefits

Will be interesting to see how this is implemented. Not sure what benefits are derived from a relatively complex approach to qualification/requalification - I'm pretty sure all the qualification periods will confuse even some TG people. Certainly, it will be a bit tricky to explain to newbies how all this operates... in time I can see a sticky coming on around TG qualification.

The ROP staff I deal with are always on the ball and super-helpful... so I'll have a chat to them and see what I can learn when I call in the new year to get my 2013 travel organised.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend of mine has a Nov-Nov qualifying year. If he should have a busy schedule early in his requal year it will skew the next 12 month cycle. This is a potential detriment for those who have spurts of travel followed by down times.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Hmmm. Still no change to offer one way travel for 50% miles that I was hoping for...
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Perhaps someone could help to clarify the following:

My assumption is that the Gold / Silver status will be valid for 2 years once it has been attained, it is not being mentioned anywhere (same assumption hgp made).

If so, will the miles earned during the "dead year" be considered for status retention with the new 12-month rolling period.

Originally Posted by hgp
Possible downside: There is no mention of the old benefit where you received the automatic two year requalification for *G if you hit 50k in the year following qualification. I wonder if this great benefit has been removed?
I am also a little concerned about this issue.

My ROP is valid until 2014 and I would like to clock 50K miles this year to retain my Gold status till 2016. But I hope that when it is not mentioned, then there is no change in this issue.

I think I will not clock my miles with ROP for the time being until the issue is clarified.

Last edited by anaidross; Jan 2, 2013 at 8:43 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
This area of the ROP program has been the most difficult to get a handle on and understand, of any airline program I'm aware of out there. These changes sure didn't do anything to simplify that!

My biggest issue is that if I ask anyone at THAI (like on the phone) to clarify one of these points for my own situation, I'm rarely confident that they fully understand it and are giving me an accurate answer . . . especially with the Thai cultural trait of saying something wrong rather than just admitting "I don't know."
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:57 pm
hgp

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
This area of the ROP program has been the most difficult to get a handle on and understand, of any airline program I'm aware of out there. These changes sure didn't do anything to simplify that!
It was a bit confusing, but once you got your head around it then it was logical enough. I agree there is potential for increased confusion with these new changes. Perhaps things will become clearer as more information is made available?

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
My biggest issue is that if I ask anyone at THAI (like on the phone) to clarify one of these points for my own situation, I'm rarely confident that they fully understand it and are giving me an accurate answer . . . especially with the Thai cultural trait of saying something wrong rather than just admitting "I don't know."
This is a valid concern. Communication within the airline is often not ideal around changes. On a short domestic flight two years ago, I was flying Y and went to board during the initial call (with *G, *P, Royal Silk etc). The TG gate agent turned me away and so I pointed out the *P on my BP. She said "that's only *P, you need to be *G or Royal Silk, please wait for your call". Then her colleague overhead and waved me through. All very pleasant and mistakes do happen, but consistency is a mark of quality.

It is indeed frustrating to ask a question and receive information which you do not believe is reliable. Or worse, ask a question, receive information, act on it, and then find out the information is wrong. Many years ago this happened to me with TG and their attitude was "we are right and you are wrong" with no acknowledgement of the misleading information they provided

Fortunately, the person I deal with mostly at TG now is pretty good - informed, responsive and friendly.

Let's hope with these "improvements" they'll be upgrading the website so it provides an accurate picture of status including "Q miles/sectors by XXX required to achieve TOP*S/G/P", amongst other things.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it odd the examples are based upon March 2012 as the join date.

If this new scheme is being rolled out in March ("late March") why use 2012?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I find it odd the examples are based upon March 2012 as the join date.

If this new scheme is being rolled out in March ("late March") why use 2012?
Agree on this
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I used to be ROP Gold, years back. I got tired of flying LAX-BKK-SGN in their old 7441 seats & switched to CO/NW, then CO/UA, now UA.

My UA status is permanent for life and can easily switch programs. I certainly fly enough to make Platinum with ease. So I have 2 questions:
1. Even if you qualify by accrued mileage within each of the required 2 years, is Platinum still only by invitation by someone's whim?
2. What does "Unlimited complimentary upgrades ... on achieving specified mileage thresholds" mean? (Granted if flying BKK-LAX in C it's not possible to get an upgrade anyway!)

Thank you
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:32 pm
hgp

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
1. Even if you qualify by accrued mileage within each of the required 2 years, is Platinum still only by invitation by someone's whim?
Officially it's invitation only and in the past TG were a little coy about who would be invited. However, with the recent announcement, it seems the criteria (for invitation) is now 80k miles per year across two successive years with a good portion (my words) in Royal Silk or Royal First.

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
2. What does "Unlimited complimentary upgrades ... on achieving specified mileage thresholds" mean? (Granted if flying BKK-LAX in C it's not possible to get an upgrade anyway!)
For every 50,000 Q-miles, you'll receive a "PUP" (Platinum Upgrade). A PUP is good for a one class upgrade on an entire itinerary - a great benefit which somewhat makes up for the really poor earn rates on TG.

Whereas ROP*G's receive one GUP (Gold Upgrade) in any year (so fly 160k, get 1 GUP), ROP*P's receive one PUP for every 50k miles (so fly 160k, get 3 PUPs).

At least, that's my understanding.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Why does TG have to make things more confusing?

Also, is it just me that can't find the info but isn't the newsletter supposed to mention something about the mileage expiration (one of the two aspects)? I was just surprised that they don't mention any details about the latter point, yet both points were highlighted at the heading.

Also, my 6-consecutive-year Gold status has just ended in Dec 2012, and I am now a general member. Does this mean, based on the new qualification requirement, my qualification cycle will start from Jan-Dec 2013 & Jan 2013-Dec 2014 OR it will be based on the MONTH I enrolled onto ROP program 10 years back?

Why do I have a bad feeling some GOOD benefits are going away?

Edit: I think I understand why they change it to the rolling qualification period so that it matches how Platinum status is determined. What do you think?

Last edited by kiam; Jan 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:09 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by hgp
Officially it's invitation only and in the past TG were a little coy about who would be invited. However, with the recent announcement, it seems the criteria (for invitation) is now 80k miles per year across two successive years with a good portion (my words) in Royal Silk or Royal First.

The call center ran a report for me to tell me how close/far I was from ROP*P and the report only included C/F travel. So "good portion" may be wishful thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.