Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

first time in Thai First - pre-order meal and any other advice?

first time in Thai First - pre-order meal and any other advice?

Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
Well OP, I am glad we have cleared this all up!

With regard to having 2 meals, not sure you'd fit them in... Dom, Canapes, breads, Caviar, Dom, Dom, breads, salad, Dom, Dom, Dom, starter, Dom, Red wine, White wine, Dom, main course, Red wine, Dom, Cheese, Dom, Port, Dessert, Dom, Red wine, Cognac, Dom, Cognac, JWB (repeat x 3). After that, I'm pretty stuffed!

Cheers,

AG. :-:

LOL.

Given I don't drink and my personal trainer has told me to avoid carbs to have any chance of winning the "six pack challenge" I have set myself and a friend for when we hit the beaches in OZ and NZ (i.e. no bread and no Dom, Dom, white, Dom, red, port, dom, red, cognanc, JWB, etc, lol), I might try the 2 main course challenge.

Given all the debate I've caused, will also have a go at doing my first TR for this trip in 3 weeks.

cheers everyone for the inputs.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
first courses are identical, of the second courses, one option is identical and another is almost the same (different linguine). QF is slightly different with three of the four sometimes being the same/substantially the same between Fist and business.
I refer to main meals only. I stand by what I said . the business and economy meals come in identical rectangular casserole dishes. the first meals do not.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I do agree with the sentiments above though and will never forget the feeling of being mortified when a friend tried to send back a bottle of wine in a restaurant because it wasn't very nice (having orderd one of the cheapest ones)!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:21 am

first courses are identical, of the second courses, one option is identical and another is almost the same (different linguine). QF is slightly different with three of the four sometimes being the same/substantially the same between Fist and business.
On my first F flight with TG some years ago (rev tkt FRA-BKK, TG 921) I was shocked when I saw the menu. With two exceptions (additional soup and different desert -German Cheescake-), I had the SAME menu in C some weeks before.

I still kept the menus, but now there are lost during my move to Thailand.

Of course the food is taken out of the casserolls and thrown on bone china, dressed up with some fish eggs and bubble.

Even the breakfast items (eggs) come from Y.

I was so angry and switched to Y and I got the food I had on my first C flight and the breakfast I used to get in C and F.

I just use TG for domestic hops anymore because they have these "gorgeous" A300 running between CNX and BKK but at least "business class" or so.

When I come from an WY flight in C and transfer to TG's C, I feel like I ended up in "Sardine Class".
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by chris1979
LOL.

Given I don't drink and my personal trainer has told me to avoid carbs to have any chance of winning the "six pack challenge" I have set myself and a friend for when we hit the beaches in OZ and NZ (i.e. no bread and no Dom, Dom, white, Dom, red, port, dom, red, cognanc, JWB, etc, lol), I might try the 2 main course challenge.

Given all the debate I've caused, will also have a go at doing my first TR for this trip in 3 weeks.

cheers everyone for the inputs.
There are no carbs in JWB!

Cheers,

Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
There are no carbs in JWB!

Cheers,

lol. there is booze though last time i checked!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:22 am

I have spoken to my contacts and confirmed that F meals do not come in the business/economy dishes. They are stored in separate components and plated on board. This should be obvious if you look at the way a business casserole dish is all slopped together compared to how a F meal is presented. Of course this doesn't mean that a curry (which is served in a separate bowl on it's own in F) is not used in multiple classes. A green curry is a green curry is a green curry.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dazz81
I have spoken to my contacts and confirmed that F meals do not come in the business/economy dishes. They are stored in separate components and plated on board. This should be obvious if you look at the way a business casserole dish is all slopped together compared to how a F meal is presented. Of course this doesn't mean that a curry (which is served in a separate bowl on it's own in F) is not used in multiple classes. A green curry is a green curry is a green curry.
no one is disputing business meals come pre-plated and F come in components which are plated up. That is pretty much standard these days except on ultra short flights of an hour or so.

I have been given a business class meal plated on F china on TG (they took it out of the dish and plated it up - I told them it was fine like it was but they said they couldn't do that). I realised the similarities in the two menus because I was given a business class menu to see what was on offer there. Sure the presentation is not the same, but I didn't see a problem... it's food, on a plane.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:57 pm

no one is disputing business meals come pre-plated and F come in components which are plated up. That is pretty much standard these days except on ultra short flights of an hour or so.

read the thread again, fan2502 is disputing it
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:21 am
Original Poster

thanks again for all your help and comments - much appreciated and meant I had a great outbound trip.

Trip Report compiled as promised and can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post20137168
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:19 pm

Is there a place where I can see current F menu?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Is there a place where I can see current F menu?
only preorder meal but not normal menu

according to my observations, F menu change on a monthly basis with a quarterly rotation.
So when you fly long haul F in Jan, Apr, Jul and Sept you have 4 times the same menu
from year to year there are some changes and some dishes remain the same

or maybe that's just my perception and I am wrong; I am sure there are some that fly more F long haul than me....
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:08 am

Any updated recommendations/thoughts on food or anything else in TG F? Flying TG F for first time (first time in any F) later this month, super excited and want to make the most!

Appreciate any thoughts..
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by flood
Any updated recommendations/thoughts on food or anything else in TG F? Flying TG F for first time (first time in any F) later this month, super excited and want to make the most!

Appreciate any thoughts..
enjoy DOM, Caviar and some good Burgundy/Bordeaux; look at the preorder menu; you can select one but if the normal menu has something you would like to try, you can select from there...or have both
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
fyi, the john dory fish is no bueno

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.