Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Same-Day: BKK-RGN;RGN-BKK-FRA - Tag bags just BKK-FRA @ BKK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

Yes. You're reading this right.

I'll actually be originating Bangkok; however, my main international ticket is RGN-BKK-FRA. So, I'm planning to buy a separate BKK-RGN ticket traveling on the same day to legally begin the main international trip at RGN.

Would TG be able to tag my bags just for the BKK-FRA flight when I check in at BKK for the BKK-RGN flight? That way, I won't have to worry about claiming bags at RGN and doing bag check again.

If you're wondering why I'm doing this, let's just say that I got a really good deal out of RGN.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:55 pm

I think you already know the answer to your own question. In my experience, no way would an airline check you in for BKK/RGN and tag your bags BKK/FRA, and then hold your bags for you at BKK awaiting your return from RGN.

What if you get delayed at RGN and cannot make your BKK/FRA flight? Will the bags travel without you? That's a definite no-no.

Are you planning to get a visa for RGN? TWOV is not allowed in case where the originating and destination country is the same, such as BKK/RGN/BKK. But if you do a one way SIN/RGN before beginning your RGN/BKK/FRA flight, then TWOV may be possible, but don't take my interpretation on this.

Good luck. I am awaiting the dust to settle on a similar booking RGN/BKK/AMS/JFK and return.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangoll
Are you planning to get a visa for RGN? TWOV is not allowed in case where the originating and destination country is the same, such as BKK/RGN/BKK. But if you do a one way SIN/RGN before beginning your RGN/BKK/FRA flight, then TWOV may be possible, but don't take my interpretation on this.

Good luck. I am awaiting the dust to settle on a similar booking RGN/BKK/AMS/JFK and return.
Thanks. I was planning to get a visa regardless of TWOV status. I actually continue to JFK too. I was going to be in BKK regardless and have had a confirmed CX ticket to JFK for a few months.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Wiirachay

If you're wondering why I'm doing this, let's just say that I got a really good deal out of RGN.
I guess you're the first one to use this deal.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I guess you're the first one to use this deal.
Not necessarily - the trip is in January. I'll have enough reports from other FT'ers about their experience traveling from RGN.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not necessarily - the trip is in January. I'll have enough reports from other FT'ers about their experience traveling from RGN.
Don't know why I read that you were about to embark upon this journey. My bad. Too much going on right now I guess.
Old May 4, 2012, 3:47 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
If you have purchased the mistake fare ex RGN - congratulations... I waited too long and apparently the fare is gone
Old May 4, 2012, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
If you have purchased the mistake fare ex RGN - congratulations... I waited too long and apparently the fare is gone
Indeed. I looked at flights to JFK with little success.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:12 am

There is left luggage at bkk, however, you may not be allowed to emigrate and immigrate on the same day. We had a situation where we cleared immigration in Phuket so as to get massages in tg first class lounge just before planning to go downtown for 10 hrs, when they would not let us out of the country. Immigration found same day exit stamp and were adamant not let us out. Only because of tg staff they were able to annul the stamp, but it took a long while as immigration in Phuket had to find our exit form to fax it to Bangkok..... Specifically immigration want to see your intl arrival boarding pass to clear immigration, which we didn't have. Perhaps you could find out if it's possible to store bags and go through immigration multiple times the same day
Old May 4, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: various
Why not just head for RGN a day ahead of time? Yangon is worth a look-see for a day or even a part day, even if it's just around the Shwedagon Pagoda. Then just take all the stuff with you, spend the night in Yangon, and the situation takes care of itself. You said you'd have to be in Bangkok regardless and also that you'd be getting a Myanmar visa--might as well spend last night pre-Europe in Yangon as in Bangkok.

I'd be nearly 100% positive they will not tag your bags only for BKK-FRA when you are originating in RGN.
Old May 5, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tangoll
In my experience, no way would an airline check you in for BKK/RGN and tag your bags BKK/FRA, and then hold your bags for you at BKK awaiting your return from RGN.
I beg to differ. SQ at SIN has done something similar multiple times for me upon request. eg. Checked my bag in for SIN-FRA a day later (SQ allows checkin 48 hours early) and handed me boarding passes for SIN-CGK-SIN-FRA for two separate tickets SIN-CGK and CGK-SIN-FRA.

YMMV with TG, of course.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I don't know about TG but I often do SIN-KUL-SIN-LHR in a day and my bags are checked in at SIN for LHR and don't come with me to KUL. As long as my itinerary is logged in the system, SQ say they can see no point in sending the bags to KUL to come back. This applies even when the sectors might be on MH for one or both sectors.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Would TG be able to tag my bags just for the BKK-FRA flight when I check in at BKK for the BKK-RGN flight? That way, I won't have to worry about claiming bags at RGN and doing bag check again.

)
They can do it Wiirachay, it is easy for us because they know us, but you will be leaving Bangkok in the morning and returning in the afternoon, connecting up with your flight later that evening, so it is a matter of declaring cabin baggage only for RGN, and the large stuff goes through to FRA. A day in Yangon is great fun, plenty to see, the main point is not to let anyone talk you into a day trip to Bagan. On paper it works, but on 5 flights in the last month,the Bagan to Yangon flight has been late and there are seperate Domestic and International terminals at Yangon and the connection to meet up with the TG flight fails, and the Thai flight is the last one of the evening. Yes we got burnt a couple of times
Old May 13, 2012, 11:54 pm

Get to Yangon a couple of days before and enjoy the country before making your trip, assuming you have never been to Myanmar before. Shame to fly into Yangon in the morning and wait a few hours to get back to Bangkok with the evening flight. You might be able to squeeze in a visit to Shwedagon Pagoda (per jiejie's suggestion), and even roam downtown and have a lovely lunch at Feel Myanmar or Monsoon, but no harm doing it at a slower pace.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zhaobao
Get to Yangon a couple of days before and enjoy the country before making your trip, assuming you have never been to Myanmar before. Shame to fly into Yangon in the morning and wait a few hours to get back to Bangkok with the evening flight. You might be able to squeeze in a visit to Shwedagon Pagoda (per jiejie's suggestion), and even roam downtown and have a lovely lunch at Feel Myanmar or Monsoon, but no harm doing it at a slower pace.
Thinking about jiejie's and zhaobao's suggestions and doing a 1-2 day tour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.