Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Transferring International - Domestic at Suvarnabhumi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG

Hi, I arrive BKK at 16:00 from LHR on a TG flight. My onward flight is domestic TG and I have 3 hours between the flights, which are on separate tickets.

I assume I can check luggage through to final destination but clear immigration at BKK. Do I just follow the signs indicating transfer to domestic flights, I seem to recall seeing these before but not taken much notice. . I've been through Suvarnabhumi dozens of times in the past but normally would stay in Bangkok for a while before heading off elsewhere.

A supplementary question, can I take duty free alcohol purchased at LHR through security to the domestic flight. It would still be in a sealed bag, etc.

Thanks for help.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:22 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Yes (in 99% of cases), and thus yes and yes to your questions
Old Mar 9, 2024, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Yes (in 99% of cases), and thus yes and yes to your questions
Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by greynose
Thanks
TG (or any airline) has no obligation to check through luggage on separate tickets. However some will, and TG is among the best for being willing to do so.

In nearly 40 years of flying into Thailand, I have never had an immediate connecting flight to a domestic destination. Things are well marked, and you’ll see signage in the area where 3 Concourses merge, either C/B/A with D (East side), or E/FG with D. Concourse D in the main one that holds arrival/departure halls, and the others are like 3 finger piers at each end.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:35 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
it also depends, where your final destination is!
check through luggage and domestic transit is only applicable to certain destinations with international airports such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rain, Krabi, Koh Samui and I believe Trat (Koh Chang)

for all other airports you have to go through normal immigration, pick up luggage and check in again; 3 hours should be sufficient time also for that
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
it also depends, where your final destination is!
check through luggage and domestic transit is only applicable to certain destinations with international airports such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rain, Krabi, Koh Samui and I believe Trat (Koh Chang)

for all other airports you have to go through normal immigration, pick up luggage and check in again; 3 hours should be sufficient time also for that
Sorry, should have said, it's Chiang Mai. I'd forgotten that they list certain locations on the signage. And, as you point out, 3 hours is plenty of time, so I knew I was OK booking that flight.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:32 am

Related to this question, now that domestic security has been reorganized, does the passport check for international-domestic transfers take you to a pre-security portion of the domestic wing (meaning we would be able to access domestic lounges but still need to go through security again before heading to gates)? This could also impact OP's duty-free alcohol question, no?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am now in Chiang Mai and everything went smoothly, according to plan.

At Heathrow they were able to connect my bookings and check luggage through to CNX.There was a slight hiccup because I had not put in my middle name when booking the domestic flight. Apparently that can cause problems.

Arriving at Suvarnabhumi you leave the gate and just look out for the large overhead signs for domestic transfer to Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc. After about 400m you get to the transfer immigration check. There was no queue, it took all of 2 minutes to go through and you get a sticker to identify you as having to clear customs at final destination. Immigration exits right by the shops and restaurants that are central between A and B domestic gates. I headed off to the Thai lounge.

I texted from the plane at 15:57 to say I'd landed and got to the domestic lounge at 16:24. Not bad!

Domestic security was before the B gates. At Heathrow duty-free they had asked if I would have a transfer and put my bottle of gin in a sealed tamper proof bag. Thai security did check it very carefully, reading the receipt, before letting it through.

At CNX when de-planing you have to follow the signs and go to a separate carousel in the International end of the airport, clearing customs there.
MDOH, restlessinRNO and BinSabai like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:20 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MDOH
Related to this question, now that domestic security has been reorganized, does the passport check for international-domestic transfers take you to a pre-security portion of the domestic wing (meaning we would be able to access domestic lounges but still need to go through security again before heading to gates)? This could also impact OP's duty-free alcohol question, no?
that's correct
after transit immigration at BKK, you get directly into A/B wing and can access lounge: later when going to the gate, you have to pass security
duty free from overseas are ok as long as they are sealed and you keep receipt
MDOH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.