Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Any chance of compensation for aircraft change?

Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ROP GOLD, QFF GOLD

Last year my husband took advantage of the special 2010 Gold Award to redeem a First Class return ticket for 50% less miles than it would usually cost. The routing was SYD-BKK-FCO-BKK-SYD.

He had no problems with the first three legs of the ticket but, when he arrived in BKK from FCO on 22 November he was informed that the A340-600 had been changed to an A340-500 with no First Class and that he therefore had to travel in Business from BKK to SYD. While he was waiting for the flight in the First Class Lounge at BKK a member of the Thai staff approached him and gave him an envelope containing 15,000 THB. As this amounts to approx. A$500 he wasn't quite sure what it was for and the staff member seemed to suggest it was for 'inconvenience'.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether Thai might consider that A$500 is the difference in value for someone redeeming a First Class ticket from BKK-SYD using Air Miles? Of course, he now has the 15,000 THB, which are useless to him as he never stops over in Thailand on his way to Italy - merely changes flights.

As he is about to return to Italy (fully paid fare this time) should he request that Thai accept the THB 15,000 as part payment for the ticket?

Does he have any other 'rights' in regard to the aircraft change?

I would be grateful for any information from someone who's experienced a similar situation.

Cheers
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
The involuntary downgrade is always a hassle. In my view, noting that it was a 50% Gold Award ticket, and so the only money paid by your husband was for taxes, then the payment by THAI of THB 15k is very generous. THB 15k might be close to the fare difference between full Biz and deeply discounted F

It is unreasonable to calculate the compensation as the value of 25% of the journey. The mileage required for SYD-BKK-FCO is not double that required SYD-BKK. Mixed class award journeys are always charged in 'full' at the rate of the higher class. The alternative of 2 awards is more expensive again.

I see this as a bit analogous to, say, using miles for a F award flight, but having to fly some sectors in C (or even Y) due to anything from equipment change, non-availability of cabin etc etc. Unfortunate, but difficult to make a firm basis for compensation.

Change the THB at the bank, deposit it, and use it to contribute towards the next trip!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Considering the difference in a first class award and a business class award, it is only half of a sector and you did buy @ 50%, it is about spot on, but as a compensation has been offered and accepted, this finalises the procedure.

Did Thai think this was the difference in the fares, I doubt it but this is the standard MCO offered for anything of this nature. If you wish to challenge the amount or discuss the reimbursement of mileage used to purchase the award, then that was the time to do it.

Will Thai in Australia accept Thai currency to part pay for an airline ticket. Here again I doubt it, but it is a nice bargaining tool.

There is no need for TG Australia to know all the details, I would go into their offices and ask for my new ticket, advise them there was a hiccup on the way over, and that TG gave you 15000baht compensation. As you do not wish to exchange it into AU$ or Euros, can they just take it off the total price of this new ticket. By doing this, your booking will be flagged to the supervisor/manager and whilst I could guess as to an outcome, I would love to know how it all works out for you.

Will you post what did happen?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ROP GOLD, QFF GOLD
Thank you both Thai-Kiwi and BKKROP for your very prompt responses -

[QUOTE=BKKROP;15576800]Considering the difference in a first class award and a business class award, it is only half of a sector and you did buy @ 50%, it is about spot on, but as a compensation has been offered and accepted, this finalises the procedure.

Did Thai think this was the difference in the fares, I doubt it but this is the standard MCO offered for anything of this nature. If you wish to challenge the amount or discuss the reimbursement of mileage used to purchase the award, then that was the time to do it.

Will Thai in Australia accept Thai currency to part pay for an airline ticket. Here again I doubt it, but it is a nice bargaining tool.

There is no need for TG Australia to know all the details, I would go into their offices and ask for my new ticket, advise them there was a hiccup on the way over, and that TG gave you 15000baht compensation. As you do not wish to exchange it into AU$ or Euros, can they just take it off the total price of this new ticket. By doing this, your booking will be flagged to the supervisor/manager and whilst I could guess as to an outcome, I would love to know how it all works out for you.

I've always found the staff at ROP in Sydney to be extremely helpful so I'll contact them to organise another ticket and see if I have any luck asking them to accept the THB in part payment.

BKKROP, when you say that 'by doing this your booking will be flagged to the supervisor/manager" is that a good thing or a bad thing??

Will post back after I've bought the ticket.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Why didn't he change the THB at the airport in to a currency he could use?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Scadger
Of course, he now has the 15,000 THB, which are useless to him as he never stops over in Thailand on his way to Italy - merely changes flights.
Surely the airport FOREX offices would be happy to take care of that little problem. And no doubt their equivalents in Australia in Italy could do the same.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
FOREX

There are plenty of banks where you can change money in the international area of Suwannaphum. Accessing these does not require a stopover or going through passport control. The rates are good too.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
You can send the TBH15,000 my way if you like...!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old May 7, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: UA/AA
I was recently downgraded from F to I on a recent 5+ hour flight from BKK and they gave me 9000 Baht in an open envelope. No receipt or paper to sign. Where is my other 6000 Baht? Did I accept a bribe ? This is an outrageous way to conduct business as * alliance carrier in my opinion. I expected to receive the level of service for which I booked the ticket. Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Old May 7, 2011, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Paiteaw
I was recently downgraded from F to I on a recent 5+ hour flight from BKK and they gave me 9000 Baht in an open envelope. No receipt or paper to sign. Where is my other 6000 Baht? Did I accept a bribe ? This is an outrageous way to conduct business as * alliance carrier in my opinion. I expected to receive the level of service for which I booked the ticket. Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Route?
Old May 7, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: QFWP, TG*S, ex-UA 1P
Where is my other 6000 Baht?
Thai records show the full 15000 Baht was handed to passenger Paiteaw. It was fully disclosed this was compensation for the involuntary downgrade. He accepted the compensation and agreed to waive all rights in this matter. Thai is puzzled he is now claiming to have only received 9000 Baht. Lounge staff recall serving him several alcoholic drinks in the lounge.

Oh, by the way, have you see the compensation manager's new PDA? He picked it up just recently for about 6000 Baht. Nice.
Old May 7, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Where is my other 6000 Baht?
LOL! For what? Did they say you should get 15K for your 5 hour flight? A couple of years ago we were downgraded from F to J on a TG BKK to NRT flight and received 10K Baht each. It was a reward redemption flight that we paid a few $ for in taxes. There obviously is not one compensation price for all downgrades and I imagine they change over time as prices fluctuate.

This is an outrageous way to conduct business as * alliance carrier in my opinion
Don't forget, TIT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.