Wiki Posts
Search

Best Credit Card to Accumulate ROP Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Best Credit Card to Accumulate ROP Miles

Hi everyone,

Was wondering which is the best credit card to use that helps me accumulate miles quickly? I was told that the main ones are Amex ROP, Citibank ROP, and KTC ROP.

Apparently with Citibank every 20 baht can be converted into 1 mile. The others are 25 baht i think.

However I currently (and have been for the past year) holding a normal kasikorn bank credit card. Apparently if you have the k-bank platinum card, 1 award point on the card can be converted into 1 mile (25 baht = 1 point). so that's an option as well.

Any input will be highly appreciated, thank you!!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold
Yes Amex, Citibank and KTC are the best. I have all three and suggest you hedge your bets also.

You can get miles with other credit cards but these companies are not dedicated ROP partners.

As far as the best one, well they all have their different virtues, for example Amex you get a bonus of 25% once you have spent over 100,000 baht (which was introduced after Citibank came in with a better earning rate) plus you can buy points to convert to ROP miles which then costs less than buying from Thai. They also sometimes offer extra points bonus. Their are other benefits too which for me still makes Amex the best.

Citibank is a very straightforward scheme.

KTChave some good offers every now and again but as I cant read Thai script, they are sometimes difficult to find out about.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: ROP
You can convert every 20 Baht into 1 mile for using KTC ROP and this card doesn't have annual fee.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
Million baht bonus

AMEX also gives you a 25,000 mile bonus when you spend at least one million baht in a calendar year. I put everything on the card, and pay it off the next month. Twice in 2010, AMEX also offered a conversion bonus of 10 and 15 percent for redeeming miles. Unfortunately in Thailand, many merchants still don't take AMEX, so I have a KTB card too. I also wish they would translatetheir newsletter and offers into English, as well.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by joy16
You can convert every 20 Baht into 1 mile for using KTC ROP and this card doesn't have annual fee.
Good point but if you speak to Amex nicely they will waive the fee as long as you use the card a reasonable amount or as they did last year gave me lots of miles bonus if I paid the fee. This was a great deal.

No fee on Citibank either
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:11 am

Programs: TG Gold, BA Gold
For those of you that use the cards (non-amex). Do you incur a conversion fee if using the card for purchases in a currency other than Thai Baht?

I could qualify for one of these cards, but lot of my spend is outside Thailand.

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input! Good stuff.

So it sounds like Amex is good but requires a lot of spending (also not all thai merchants accept amex, i've heard that from quite a few ppl too).

So i guess its between citibank and KTC. not sure if it is just me but i do notice more restaurants and malls having special deals for citibank cards...does this only apply to their platinum select and other cards or is the citibank ROP also included?

As for the annual fee, apparently you can also get citibank to waive theirs. argh, choices choices!!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
Thank you for your help

Originally Posted by bkkman
Good point but if you speak to Amex nicely they will waive the fee as long as you use the card a reasonable amount or as they did last year gave me lots of miles bonus if I paid the fee. This was a great deal.

Thanks bkkman. I called Amex, and sure enough, they waived their fee for me and my fiancee.
If you were in CM, I would treat you for dinner!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:55 am
Original Poster

since you have all three, would you say citibank is a good choice since its (1) visa so can use almost anywhere, (2) only 20baht for one mile and (3) has no annual fee?

thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by larrythai
Thanks bkkman. I called Amex, and sure enough, they waived their fee for me and my fiancee.
If you were in CM, I would treat you for dinner!
Glad to help
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by maximsilentfoot
since you have all three, would you say citibank is a good choice since its (1) visa so can use almost anywhere, (2) only 20baht for one mile and (3) has no annual fee?

thanks!
Yes I have also enjoyed good customer service from them as they are an international provider.

I have not had any major problems with KTC but unless you are Thai, can speak Thai or have a Thai partner or PA I would go with Citibank

One thing to remember though, is VISA is more acceptable in Thailand but that does not stop some outlets from wanting to charge you 3% especialy most retail travel agents.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by molasis
For those of you that use the cards (non-amex). Do you incur a conversion fee if using the card for purchases in a currency other than Thai Baht?

I could qualify for one of these cards, but lot of my spend is outside Thailand.

Thanks
As far as I am aware they all charge a conversion fee.

Amex actually convert any foreign currency transactions into US dollars first and then to Thai baht so a double whammy from them which means I avoid using unless Thai baht, USD or authorizations such as car hire or hotels.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

thanks bkkman! i'm thai and can speak thai, however i think if i pick one i'll go with citibank. i also assume that the miles you obtain from spending on the card does not expire?

Yes I have also enjoyed good customer service from them as they are an international provider.

I have not had any major problems with KTC but unless you are Thai, can speak Thai or have a Thai partner or PA I would go with Citibank

One thing to remember though, is VISA is more acceptable in Thailand but that does not stop some outlets from wanting to charge you 3% especialy most retail travel agents.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by maximsilentfoot
thanks bkkman! i'm thai and can speak thai, however i think if i pick one i'll go with citibank. i also assume that the miles you obtain from spending on the card does not expire?
Your Citibank points which you can then convert to ROP miles, its only then that they have a normal 3 year validity with Thai.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:46 am
r-7

Programs: TG / UA / SPG
I have both AMEX and KTC. For AMEX, if you hold AMEX Plat charge card, the AMEX ROP fee is waive. I think all 3 cards are geared towards different lifestyle. For AMEX, if you dine alot in hotel and shop at Paragon or Emporium, then you shouldn't have any problem finding vendor who will accept AMEX. + the hotel dining promo is rather attractive as well (ie buy 1 get 1 free).

I can't really comment much on KTC cause I rarely use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.