Crazy miles upgrade pricing?

Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold

Hi,

I have done a search but haven't been able to find any other discussion on this topic. I could be wrong but in reading the Thai ROP handbook is my thinking below correct:

MEL-BKK-MEL in Business Redemption: 98,000 miles + 15,000 Baht
MEL-BKK-MEL buy cheapest economy and upgrade to business: Original Economy Fare + 112,000 miles + 3000 Baht (fuel surcharge difference)

If this is correct it seems crazy 98,000 miles for an outright redemption ticket or 112,000 miles for an upgrade on an existing ticket.

Someone please tell me I am reading this wrong or are Thai just as mad as I think they are?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:55 pm

http://www.thaiairways.com/frequent-...ds-on-thai.htm
and
http://www.thaiairways.com/frequent-...ards-chart.htm

MEL-BKK-MEL in Business Redemption: 98,000 miles + 15,000 Baht - CORRECT

MEL-BKK-MEL buy cheapest economy and upgrade to business: Original Economy Fare + 112,000 miles + 3000 Baht (fuel surcharge difference) - CORRECT

All is correct. It is quite pricey.
(Now please allow other people to come and bash you for flying on award ticket and that you should be mistreated and deserve it too and that awards should cost ideally even more. Strangely this seems to be the tonality lately - I wonder why really)
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

It just seems crazy that it is more miles to upgrade an already bought fare than buying an award ticket in the first place. It isn't an incentive for Thai to easily get miles off the books and more revenue in the door. They would get more revenue by people paying for an economy ticket and upgrading rather than just buying an award ticket outright.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:23 am
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
Originally Posted by travelislife
It just seems crazy that it is more miles to upgrade an already bought fare than buying an award ticket in the first place.
I have never really understood this, either. The only possible justification is the Y+upgrade option may offer other benefits - eg. more flexibility - compared to the J redemption.

A long time ago I stopped trying to understand why TG does some things the way it does. Instead, I just enjoy flying with them and leave it at that!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
To some extent is like comparing apples and pears...

You can buy a revenue ticket on any TG flight you want unless completely sold out (it is just a matter of the appl. fare) which will allow you to upgrade for miles if upgrades are available whereas availablity for award tickets can be very limited/non-existing (Admittedly, I have no idea about availabilty for BKK-MEL, but try finding I class availabilty to/from Europe during high season...)
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:02 am
Original Poster

The thing is though that often upgrades using points come out of award classes so it makes no difference. These are not like GUPs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.