Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:18 pm

I'll be flying HKT-BKK-PEK----ORD eventually. But, will I have to process exit immigration in BKK before going to PEK or will this be done in HKT? Also, how much time should I allow there? I am considering changing my flight:

Current Layover Time: 5 Hours
Option 1: 3 Hour Layover
Option 2: 2 Hour Layover

Changing the flight obv would give me more time in HKT and less at BKK airport.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
You can be stamped out of the kingdom in HKT if you are planning on spending the layover time in the airport. If you have a longish layover and want to head into town then deal with immigration in BKK.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:53 pm
formerly RZachSmith

In a couple of weeks, I'll be arriving in Y on TG 921 at 6:20am, Connecting to a domestic TG flight which departs at 8:00am. Anyone have any recent insight on the busyness of immigration at this early hour? I'm trying to determine if I should hire an arrivals service.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
The Thai transfer from Unternational to Domestic is very painless. Upon exiting your aircraft the "Transfer to Domestic" signs appear. Follow these signs, there is a passport check then it is onwards to the Domestic terminal, your bags have already been sent, so there is no problems. It is a breeze, 8am sounds like the Chiang Mai, enjoy your holidays you have picked a beautiful spot
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:49 pm
formerly RZachSmith

Originally Posted by BKKROP
The Thai transfer from Unternational to Domestic is very painless. Upon exiting your aircraft the "Transfer to Domestic" signs appear. Follow these signs, there is a passport check then it is onwards to the Domestic terminal, your bags have already been sent, so there is no problems. It is a breeze, 8am sounds like the Chiang Mai, enjoy your holidays you have picked a beautiful spot
Awesome, CNX indeed. Thanks BKKROP!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by CAlex
Hi,

I will arrive on Tuesday morning with TG in C from FCO at 6:05am, and connect to USM on TG in Y at 07:45. I recall from 2 months ago that I need first to go to Immigration, fill-in the form, pay for the visa, queue and wait to get it (was pretty fast last time) and only then sprint to the other side of the terminal, for the domestic flights.

Is there any change now? With both flights being on TG, any chance to clear Immigration in USM? Any other faster options? Flights are on 2 sepparate tickets, i do expect though luggage to be sent all the way to USM.
Sorry this is already Wednesday... I guess you went through what you went through already......

Normally to transfer from International to Domestic you can go through the transit immigration area, but if you have to do Visa on Arrival, you must go through the main immigration area, and then hop back to Departures upstairs. Depending on how many flights there are coming in from India (and there would be a few in the morning), the wait at VOA could be as short as 10 minutes to as long as 90 minutes. So if you are conencting to a domestic flight and requries a visa (even though VOA available), get the visa BEFORE you fly.

Do tell us what actually happened.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by hellyea
I'll be flying HKT-BKK-PEK----ORD eventually. But, will I have to process exit immigration in BKK before going to PEK or will this be done in HKT? Also, how much time should I allow there? I am considering changing my flight:

Two hours is fine. You will clear immigration at HKT.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RZachSmith
In a couple of weeks, I'll be arriving in Y on TG 921 at 6:20am, Connecting to a domestic TG flight which departs at 8:00am. Anyone have any recent insight on the busyness of immigration at this early hour? I'm trying to determine if I should hire an arrivals service.
With many flights arriving from Europe early morning, the immigration line can be quite long. Hopefully, you will be one of the first flight landing.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:42 pm

I'm more concerned about your transit in Beijing than anything else. It's never clear whether you need to clear immigration at Beijing, despite being an international-to-international connection. And if immigration is required, you should budget at least 120 minutes. Previously, baggage handlers in Beijing and Shanghai were known to not have been trained on "connecting flights, off goes the bag to the connecting plane".

Recent guidelines show that International-to-International connections require only 60 minutes and no need to retrieve bags or go through immigration, but better double-check to be safe.
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/city...t-transfer.htm

Last edited by zhaobao; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:58 pm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
With many flights arriving from Europe early morning, the immigration line can be quite long. Hopefully, you will be one of the first flight landing.
If you are visa-free or have visa on hand already, you will be proceeding to the transfer immigration desk and therefore the queue at the main immigration lines do not concern you.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zhaobao
If you are visa-free or have visa on hand already, you will be proceeding to the transfer immigration desk and therefore the queue at the main immigration lines do not concern you.
I am not talking about the queue at the main immigration. The line at the transfer immigration (and security) can be quite long.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
You can be stamped out of the kingdom in HKT if you are planning on spending the layover time in the airport. If you have a longish layover and want to head into town then deal with immigration in BKK.
Originally Posted by brunos
Two hours is fine. You will clear immigration at HKT.
I just changed the flight to allow 3 Hours -- the 2 hour connection flight is as of now unavailable on award availability...

Originally Posted by zhaobao
I'm more concerned about your transit in Beijing than anything else. It's never clear whether you need to clear immigration at Beijing, despite being an international-to-international connection. And if immigration is required, you should budget at least 120 minutes. Previously, baggage handlers in Beijing and Shanghai were known to not have been trained on "connecting flights, off goes the bag to the connecting plane".

Recent guidelines show that International-to-International connections require only 60 minutes and no need to retrieve bags or go through immigration, but better double-check to be safe.
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/city...t-transfer.htm
We have 13 hours in Beijing. We're going to go see the Great Wall. From my understanding though, you do need to do some sort of immigration check for INTL-INTL connection regardless, but we will be stamping out on a transit 24 hour visa to explore the area.

Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:46 am

TG917 Arrival

Hi there,
I'd be very grateful on the typical wait at immigration following arriving on TG917 (Y). Just before Xmas.

I'm considering an arrival service.

Many thanks
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Powers106
Awesome tip on the fasttrack website, I didn't know that existed.

I also go through fasttrack when on Thai, and I've noticed that they don't have the signs up guiding you to the area (it is baggage claim 1-? entrance for immigration, right side, into the Crew/Diplomat area, then there are 2 desks for fast track). Agreed it is always fast, and combine it with no luggage and a taxi from the dropoff area and you are very quickly on your way. But note that Thai airways does not give out the arrival fast track passes in C any longer, but you just need to show your boarding pass in C to the immigration guy. I think on Emirates they still hand out fasttrack passes and it is possible to load up on those if you see that the normal lines are empty.

I'm tempted to try the golf cart ride! Could easily get burned by an offload bus from plane to immigration, but deboarding at E6 and the golf cart would be great!
Okay, I just tried this service for departures for 1,300 baht plus a tip (not required) of 150 baht. I was called 3 hours before departure to ask when I would arrive at the airport, and then they called again and I was checking in and told them the desk number. Nice guy arrives, takes over my carry on bags, takes me to fast track, helps me unpack for the check then goes to meet me the other side of immigration. I go through security and he has immigration agent lined up for me, I make it through security and immigration in less than 4 minutes total on a busy Friday night but not crazy busy. The dude wheels my bag to the Emirates lounge in concourse D and I tip him. Awesome service, fast and painless. If I am not flying business I will do this every time. Next I will try arrivals in about 10 days
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
j fastrack and how long to get through at 1330

Hi what are the current fasttrack arrangements for arriving business passengers Thai airways. Also how long to get through immigration at 1330 thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.