Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:37 pm
SKL

Agree completely re: unacceptably long waiting times. BKK is supposed to have e-passport scanners at the end of 2011 to help improve passenger flow. It is startling (not?) to watch the airport/government's total lack of initiative of solve this problem.

Somebody with meeting services must have connections to stop any improvements in the waiting time. In Thailand, like anywhere else, just follow the money and you can roughly tell where to problem is.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Last two weeks were a tad busy, but then a lot of learning institutions throughout Asia started up for 2012, this week the air fare wars are heating up so the loads must be disastrous. Flying business class, you will avoid the delays
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Fortunately for me I have rarely suffered from this drama except on a couple of international Air Asia flights in from Bali and Saigon in past couple of years. I was somewhat lucky with those too as it was at a time when visitor numbers were down. I do have horrible memories though of outgoing immigration, even when flying J at a time when the Fast Track for nonTG was either nonexistent or inconsistently available. Wherever possible I now always try to arrive and depart BKK on TG J. For me the biggest problem with both the inbound and outbound immigration was which line to pick. When it is busy you cannot tell if there is one officer or two woring at the head of te line. Some were also twice as fast as others, and officers going off or on duty both cause frustration either with added delays or pax rushing to another line. If they cannot do much else it would be nice to see the airport rope off the queue into a single line with somebody at the head of the line to direct pax to the next available immigration officer. At least that would take ou the lottery of choosing a line. All that said, BKK is not unique, I have experienced worse in LHR, NRT, LAX, JNB and ZRH.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
depart BKK on TG J. For me the biggest problem with both the inbound and outbound immigration was which line to pick. .
The beauty of TG, @ BKK is you have 4 officers looking after the Thai airways business class, it is a walk in the park
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP
The beauty of TG, @ BKK is you have 4 officers looking after the Thai airways business class, it is a walk in the park
Sorry, I think my post was a bit confused. I meant to imply that I usually try to arrive and depart BKK on TG J for the reason you mention. However, when I'm using nonpremium class on likes of Air Asia and have to use general immigration lines then guessing which one to take is something of a lottery...and I usually get it wrong!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
...However, when I'm using nonpremium class on likes of Air Asia and have to use general immigration lines then guessing which one to take is something of a lottery...and I usually get it wrong!
Notwithstanding the situations where you can't actually see the immigration desks when needing to choose a line I offer the following advice:

1) Always choose a desk where there are 2 immy officers working (you'd be amazed at how often people won't pay attention to this).

2) Lean toward desks staffed by women.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Notwithstanding the situations where you can't actually see the immigration desks when needing to choose a line I offer the following advice:

1) Always choose a desk where there are 2 immy officers working (you'd be amazed at how often people won't pay attention to this).

2) Lean toward desks staffed by women.
Also, I used to head for one of the lines far to the left of entrance to hall. I recall being about half way down a line when onme of the two officers went on a break without any replacment, that hurt because it felt like I was right back where I started.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:55 am

Could someone please recommend a reliable VIP service that offer fast-track through immigration, other than the yearly service mentioned several posts above? Thank you.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
There was some discussion about this a while back, I think Bangkok Flight Services came out well based on several experiences...

www.bangkokflightservices.com go to the 'our services' tab and then click on the 'premium airport services' option
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:34 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by BKKROP
Not everybody can fly C or F same you and me and Thailand is just becoming an overpriced third world country with total lack of service culture and efficiency.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by behuman
Thailand is just becoming an overpriced third world country with total lack of service culture and efficiency.
I do not agree. while prices are rising like elsewhere it still offers fantastic value, even for the likes of me who has seen my local currency devalue over 30% against Thai Baht in recent years. As regards service culture I would say it is well above average, including most of the well developed countries. As examples, I just wish half the public conveniences and hotel rooms I have stayed in riorth America and Europe came up to the standard of those in Thailand. I have found that if you treat Thais well then you will be treated likewise. Just like anyplace else, if you treat them poorly then you deserve what you get. It is true there are problems in Thailand, but that is true every place else too.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:13 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Departing today the immigration desks on the right were right back to the wall while those on the right were about 4-6 deep.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Departing today the immigration desks on the right were right back to the wall while those on the right were about 4-6 deep.
Yosi, this must be a great riddle as both of your observations were were 'on the right'.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Stay away now if you can

Suwanapoopoo just now is such a <redacted> hole , if you are not lucky enough to be flying C or F .

It is an absolute disgrace, maybe because of the ongoing immigration relocation , maybe because of cutbacks in immigration staff, but who gives a ..... Thai civil servants, you are supposed to have enough brain cells to <redacted> manage it, but the sad truth is you do not give a damn.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm Reason: TOS q#88x 2
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:27 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Yosi, this must be a great riddle as both of your observations were were 'on the right'.
Sorry the left was back to the wall while the right was pretty empty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.