Search

Thai Airways makes first flights to Samui

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Thai Airways makes first flights to Samui

From today's Bangkok Post

Thai Airways International (THAI) will this week launch twice-daily flights between Bangkok and Samui Island, targeting European tourists making stopovers in the capital, the national carrier announced Monday.

The daily flights will begin on Thursday using Boeing 737-400 airplanes with a capacity of 149 passengers.

"We aim to make the route very competitive by marketing it to tourists from major European cities currently served by THAI connecting through Suvarnabhumi Airport," said THAI Exectuive Vice President Pandit Chanapai.

THAI expects more than 70 per cent of passengers on its Bangkok-Samui routes to be foreigners.

Pradit described the new route as a "breakthrough" for THAI, the national carrier.

Samui, already one of Thailand's most popular resort islands, has for the past two decades been served exclusively by Bangkok Airways, a private airline that owns the island's only airport.

THAI must pay Bangkok Airways for the use of its airport and ground services in order to gain access to the island. (dpa)
Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
fantastic little airport too, I wonder how Thai will treat its pax ex USM, they'll have to supply free food and drink to all their passengers too or everyone will see what the Bangkok air passengers are getting and move over.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aceman
fantastic little airport too, I wonder how Thai will treat its pax ex USM, they'll have to supply free food and drink to all their passengers too or everyone will see what the Bangkok air passengers are getting and move over.
Just out of curiosity does anyone know why TG does not serve Alcohol on any of it's domestic flights? I know Bangkok Airways serves you beer... Quite well priced too.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:50 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aceman
I was on the first flight on TG ex USM on Feb 15. Quite chaotic as expected, with handwritten boarding passes and baggage tags

The departure 'gate' had the usual Bangkok Airways self-service bar counter with snacks and drinks for TG passengers. On board, service is the standard TG snack box, far below the old-school F&B service that PG offers.

Fares are roughly equal, so it only really makes sense with a TG international connection in BKK.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:16 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by lallyr
Just out of curiosity does anyone know why TG does not serve Alcohol on any of it's domestic flights? I know Bangkok Airways serves you beer... Quite well priced too.
They used to serve beer but it was stopped as part of the cost cutting exercise some years ago during the Far East economic crash

Regards

John
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:17 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Braniff
From today's Bangkok Post

The daily flights will begin on Thursday using Boeing 737-400 airplanes with a capacity of 149 passengers.
Are they selling J class on these flights?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Are they selling J class on these flights?
Yes they are.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Fares are roughly equal, so it only really makes sense with a TG international connection in BKK.
Or for mileage collection, no ?

F.R.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
Or for mileage collection, no ?

F.R.
Or for cashing miles? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the award the same number of miles whether its to Samui or BKK?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by lallyr
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the award the same number of miles whether its to Samui or BKK?
Sure, same thing.

F.R.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Any information on how this route is doing, or predictions on whether it will re-launch next year?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJ99
Any information on how this route is doing, or predictions on whether it will re-launch next year?
What do you mean by re-launch next year? I was not aware that this is only a seasonal flight?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: TK, SQ, TG, NW, PCR, MR, SPG
For *G passengers on TG departing from Samui Airport, is there any contract lounge to use? Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by aerosmith
For *G passengers on TG departing from Samui Airport, is there any contract lounge to use? Thanks.
I flew USM-BKK on TG-J in April 09. From what I remember there is no lounge to speak off. Things could have changed since then. The airport is very basic, with an open air concept. If it is raining you will be advised to bring an umbrella as you have to walk outside to get to the gate area. The gate area has snacks and juice for all passengers regardless of class. (Something that Bangkok Airways (the ground agent at USM) does for all its flight). No jet-bridge with everyone being shuttled to the aircraft in a buggy. I took the morning flight and found no services open. Only one restaurant but all they were serving was coffee, no breakfast to speak off. I wouldn't plan on spending any extra time at the airport and suggest you bring something to eat if you think you will be hungry. If flying J you will get a small meal on board. No clue about economy class.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: TG Gold
Flew BKK-USM-BKK 2-3 weeks ago and when returning to BKK i asked BKK Air about lounge and i was told there is none for Thai Air.As said in earlier post you can have softdrinks and snacks at the gate.

Here's some pics from that trip

Food in C, BKK-USM

Toothpick

Friendly FA

Koh Phangan, just before landing at USM

Runway at USM

Buggy back to terminal

Bagageclaim didn't look like this 15 years ago...

Bangkok Air

Snacks at gate and a lovely lemonade

Boarding

Up front in the 737

Food in C, USM-BKK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.