The Disappearing Dom

Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
The Disappearing Dom

Reminded by the comments by AirCash and Noy in the lounge thread, I thought reduction in Dom is serious enough to warrant it's own thread.

They have indeed started to restrict Dom in F on long haul flights. They are only supposed to load four bottles in total at BKK for the outbound and return, meaning there is only two bottles out and two bottles back.

In addition to this, crew have been asked not to serve Dom for pre take-off drink to those requesting champagne, instead serving the Grande Armee. As TG do not bring the bottle to your seat to pour your champagne in F a la SQ etc, they believe this allows them to get away with not serving Dom.......

Once two bottles have gone on the outbound, they are supposed to switch. However, some pax are complaining and if pushed they will open another one. This is leaving only one for the return and is why people have been finding them out of Dom after one bottle on the inbound flights.

Apparently they were looking to phase Dom out altogether, but some crew have been telling them this is not a good idea, and indeed I have had crew actively encouraging me to complain about it on two recent flights.

I know TG desperately need to cut costs, but there are far better places they can and should be doing it instead of penny pinching on their premium products. Banning FOC upgrades to someone's neighbours brothers friend would be a good start...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
I agree!

What is this all about, who in their right mind would think that 4 bottles of Dom to and from BKK to Europe/Oz/USA is going to last the flight(s) and keep pax happy, relaxed and jovial?!

I really think that penny pinching on premuim services is the wrong strategy for TG - I mean who makes them the most profit!

Even the crew understand no Dom = unhappy pax!

Grrr.

BTW, what is Grande Armee - sounds cheap?!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
I flew BKK-CDG in F a few days ago, and Dom was served ( from the bottle) as the pre take off drink.
Looks like the FA's are giving the finger to the silly and probably corrupt cost cutters at TG. Well done...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:08 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
The "alternative" champagne is actualy Bollinger Grand Annee (1999?). It's really rather good BUT it's certainly not Dom Of course certain other premium (*cough*) (e.g. BA) airlines' fans get all excited when the Bolly is their premium offering It's the way TG are going aout such changes that gets me....kind of a nice problem to have though
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by pansted00
Looks like the FA's are giving the finger to the silly and probably corrupt cost cutters at TG. Well done...
Some (the ones that care) are, and are to be commended. As I said, some are encouraging people to complain. Other crew couldn't care less, and indeed have tried to deny it's going on.

Originally Posted by NoY
The "alternative" champagne is actualy Bollinger Grand Annee (1999?). It's really rather good BUT it's certainly not Dom
+1.

Indeed, it is the Grand Annee, and I agree it is quite good. Not Dom as you say, but it's not bad.

It's the way TG are going aout such changes that gets me....
That's the problem.

Last edited by MAN Flyer; Dec 10, 2009 at 1:56 am
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: BA*G
Bollykok follies

Manflyer, I completely agree.

On Tuesday I wasn't late boarding, arriving with around 5 other F pax from the SAS lounge, and the DOM was no where to be seen for pre take-off drinks. Bolly was presented and poured the same way DOM usually is. The drinks menu still had DOM listed.

There was no refill after 10 minutes on empty. Last time I flew the refills were free flowing. Feels like staff are definately told to be in conservation mode, and with F passengers!

What next, salmon roe to replace caviar, and crab sticks to replace lobster?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by AirCash
Manflyer, I completely agree.

On Tuesday I wasn't late boarding, arriving with around 5 other F pax from the SAS lounge, and the DOM was no where to be seen for pre take-off drinks. Bolly was presented and poured the same way DOM usually is. The drinks menu still had DOM listed.

There was no refill after 10 minutes on empty. Last time I flew the refills were free flowing. Feels like staff are definately told to be in conservation mode, and with F passengers!

What next, salmon roe to replace caviar, and crab sticks to replace lobster?
I'd never even consider waiting 10 mins for a refill... Ding, please replenish my glass, ding etc.

Cheers,

Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: SPANAIR GOLD, IBERIA GOLD, SPG GOLD
I flew last 3/12/2009 in TG 949 In F MAD-BKK and DOM is OK from the bottle pre-takeoff and in flight.At the rest 3 bottles opened for 6 pax.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by martin-g
At the rest 3 bottles opened for 6 pax.
Is that all...!

Cheers,

Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
Is that all...!

Cheers,

I polished 3 bottles of Dom by myself on TG from BKK-FRA last summer.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by macabus
Easy done! Love your work!

Cheers.

Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I think we all know that the one thing Thai is is inconsistent - wouldn't it follow therefore if the amount of Dom loaded on to flights followed their most consistent quality of inconsistency?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by lhrpete
I think we all know that the one thing Thai is is inconsistent - wouldn't it follow therefore if the amount of Dom loaded on to flights followed their most consistent quality of inconsistency?
I for one certainly hope that this current downward trend is matched by an equal and opposite one in time for my flight in F from LHR on 7 January
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
That is what I call premium flying. I like Krug and Bolly, so with my flying I choose the airline with it "on tap", no problems to date
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:53 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Really? That's the equivalent of a bottle of whisky. Either you were paralytic or you have a serious drink problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.