Reload this Page >

IAH / Houston Bush Intercontinental: flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

IAH / George Bush Intercontinental Connections Information and Times
Domestic and International (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

IAH / Houston Bush Intercontinental: flight connections

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:34 am

Hi, this has probably been asked already but for clarity if I arrive at IAH on one carrier (BA) and connect on to another carrier (United on an unrelated ticket/PNR?) do I have to go through check-in/baggage check/TSA etc.. or can I use the transfer desk in some way?

I'm looking at a 4 hour layover and would rather not spend my 4 hours standing in lines.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
Hi, this has probably been asked already but for clarity if I arrive at IAH on one carrier (BA) and connect on to another carrier (United on an unrelated ticket/PNR?) do I have to go through check-in/baggage check/TSA etc.. or can I use the transfer desk in some way?

I'm looking at a 4 hour layover and would rather not spend my 4 hours standing in lines.
If you arrive on BA but connect to UA or AA or DL, etc (Domestic USA flight), then:
Clear passport control at IAH
Get your checked luggage at the belt;
clear customs at IAH;
Exit the secured zone.
Get new boarding passes from UA (if you do not have online check-in / phone boarding passes)
Re-check luggage
Re-clear security

The amount of time you spend on all this will vary with:
1. IF you have checked luggage
2. If you have Global Entry
3. If you have pre-check
4. If you have UA status...which will get you shorter lines at check-in, etc.

Note: AA, DL depart from a different terminal at IAH....so you have to truck your luggage on a little train and check-in.........whereas with UA , you can check-in at E terminal and access all their gates.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Note: AA, DL depart from a different terminal at IAH....whereas with UA , you can check-in at E terminal and access all their gates.
Good tip! Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:23 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
.. or can I use the transfer desk in some way?

What transfer desk

No, should not even be close to 4 hours.

Originally Posted by ft4lyf

Note: AA, DL depart from a different terminal at IAH....so you have to truck your luggage on a little train and check-in.........whereas with UA , you can check-in at E terminal and access all their gates.
Good info in post.

You can walk to ALL UA mainline flights in C and E, but most of RJs depart B, which is easily accessed via SkyWay inside security. Since you have all that time you can try SubWay, which is before security, and you may well be the only person in a car. Kinda cool - I don't do it anymore as virtually ALL my connections these days are domestic - domestic.

And all non UA dometic depart from A (foreign carriers depart D), which is where you arrive, but end up between D and E after exiting Immigration.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:32 pm

This is not for a connection but wondering how long will it take to clear customs.

I have a friend arriving from Mexico around 630pm on a Tuesday. He is not a US citizen and does not have GE.

What could be the expected wait time to get through customs? I was thinking about 45 min. but from what I read IAH is a nightmare when it comes to customs.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Nathan Drake

I have a friend arriving from Mexico around 630pm on a Tuesday. He is not a US citizen and does not have GE.
It's been a while since I cleared customs / immigration at IAH, but that sounds about right for a non citizen. Certainly should not take more than an hour if there are no problems, and it could be as quick as half hour.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
It's been a while since I cleared customs / immigration at IAH, but that sounds about right for a non citizen. Certainly should not take more than an hour if there are no problems, and it could be as quick as half hour.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.