Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking at DFW - options, questions, suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As AA and US have not merged operations, the American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum is not the place for this thread. As it is airport, not airline, related, it does belong in the proper destination forum.

/Moderator
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by carla568
I adore The Parking Spot South.
I agree with Carla. It is definite that you now get free reservations if you are a member of their Spot Club: https://www.theparkingspot.com/spotclub/spotclub.aspx

I budget 30 minutes to get from the Parking Spot to the terminal, but it usually takes less. And I always call for a shuttle on arrival regardless of the time of day, because I do think it can help to speed it up.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by carla568
I adore The Parking Spot South. They often have 30% off coupons (I have a discount through work so I haven't needed them).
I'm curious where you're finding 30% off Parking Spot? I can't recall seeing more than 25%, and even the 20% and 25% are becoming harder to find.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For AAA members, here's 25% off Parking Spot (w/ Sat. stay; 10% otherwise). I used this recently, and the agent did ask to see my AAA membership card.

http://memberdiscounts.texas.aaa.com.../uSource/PSRV2
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:14 pm

Best parking for the day around DFW

I have a MR tomorrow and wanted to know what was the cheapest option to park. Would it be at a dart station and then ride there and come back ?
thanks for your help
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, DART offers free parking and $5 roundtrip fare (half that for seniors). If you don't have an orange line station convenient to your home, the Belt Line station near the airport has plenty of parking spaces, and is a quick 7 minute ride to Terminal A. When I park there, I always see TSA agents and other airport workers using that station.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Yup, DART is the way to go ^

Seen plenty of cars parked at Beltline VERY early in the morning on my way to DFW over the years - and I KNOW they weren't going to work at 4 a.m.

OOPS, see I'm a little late with my answer, but hope it helps others in future.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:53 pm

Yes thank you. Actually wanted to know if it was safe to leave it for a couple days and if anyone heard they towed on weekends ? thanks
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DalAA21
Yes thank you. Actually wanted to know if it was safe to leave it for a couple days and if anyone heard they towed on weekends ? thanks
Official policy is "Overnight or long-term parking is at the discretion of the customer. DART assumes no responsibility for vehicles left overnight. "

I've parked there a half dozen times for trips of 7-14 days, including weekends, and never had a problem. (I'm not the only one, on my last trip I saw a car parked wrapped in a cloth car cover.)

But there are drawbacks to be aware of:
- Train stop is only at Terminal A. If you are flying out of another terminal, add time for the Skylink ride.
- If you aren't flying AA, and need to check in at the counter, add time for a Terminal Link bus journey.
- The Pre-Check at Terminal A is at A20, a good walk from the train, which is a few hundred yards past the A1 end of the building. And once you clear at A20, it's another good walk back to the Skylink. If you don't have or need Pre-Check, the A10 checkpoint is much better located.
- That walk between station and terminal is outdoors, hot in the summer and cold in the winter. There's enough cover to keep you dry in a drizzle, but if there's wind with the rain, expect to get wet.
- Coming home, the same Skylink ride if you come into a different terminal - or a bus if you have to exit security to claim bags.
- The trains run only about every 15 minutes during rush hour, every 20 the rest of the day, and every 30 late at night.

On a 10 day trip, the $100 saved in parking costs is worth it to me, but for a 3 day weekend, though, I don't find the hassle worth it, and use Express parking instead.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:58 pm

Wow thanks for the great advice. I did notice that Pre-check wasn't available at A10 which was a real pain when I traveled last week.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:18 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by swag
But there are drawbacks to be aware of:
- Train stop is only at Terminal A. If you are flying out of another terminal, add time for the Skylink ride.
- If you aren't flying AA, and need to check in at the counter, add time for a Terminal Link bus journey.
- The Pre-Check at Terminal A is at A20, a good walk from the train, which is a few hundred yards past the A1 end of the building. And once you clear at A20, it's another good walk back to the Skylink. If you don't have or need Pre-Check, the A10 checkpoint is much better located.
Just flew Saturday, and didn't find Pre Check Lite too bad: Kept my shoes on, but had to remove laptop (and liquids if I had any).

SkyLink is pretty quick, and usually comes every minute. Yes, it adds time, but not much.

I've found checkin kiosk beside the elevator for UA flights to be hit and miss, mostly miss

But I almost always have a BP already, so avoid the LONG bus ride to other terminals outside security (had int'l flights where I wasn't able to checkin online ).

And I've walked to real Pre Check once or twice, and it's only a 5 minute walk ^

So yes, nota bene, but all in all IMHO beats parking.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by DalAA21
Wow thanks for the great advice. I did notice that Pre-check wasn't available at A10 which was a real pain when I traveled last week.
It was a one point, but it moved sometime last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.