Reload this Page >

Parking at DFW - options, questions, suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking at DFW - options, questions, suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by mctrees02
Do you have to make a reservation on their site to use them? Flight is at 7:40AM so I was thinking of getting there about 5:30 AM to play this one safe. Is that too early?
Reservations are optional. I'd only use them around peak flying times (e.g. Thanksgiving).

I typically arrive at South 90 min before my flight--usually that's more than enough time. I do print my BP from home in case I get stuck in traffic and cut it closer. I'd also do >90 min before if checking bags.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
ha...if only I was that lucky. I'm just a 20 something living in an apartment cuz it's a lot cheaper than Uptown!
^
OK, I'm busted for trying to bust you!!
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Best- use DART. Its $3 or $5 one way.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Do you have to make a reservation on their site to use them? Flight is at 7:40AM so I was thinking of getting there about 5:30 AM to play this one safe. Is that too early?
Assuming you are asking about the south location, I have not needed to reserve since they expanded.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by elpi
Best- use DART. Its $3 or $5 one way.
Walking - free, and it might even get you there quicker than taking DART.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
DFW Parking Rate Increase - Oct '09

http://www.star-telegram.com/busines...y/1514127.html

As fewer people use its parking lots, Dallas/Fort Worth Airport is increasing some of its parking rates to raise money for its fiscal 2010 budget, approved Friday.

The increases range from $1 to $3 and take effect in October. Not all parking rates will be raised, and the pass-through rate of $2 will also remain unchanged.
  • Terminal parking, 2 to 3 hours: $4, from $3
  • Terminal parking, 3 to 6 hours: $6, from $5
  • Express covered parking: $12, from $11
  • Remote parking: $8, from $7
  • Infield parking: $17, from $14
  • Terminal covered parking: $17, unchanged.
Now, I think our rates are pretty good compared to other major US airports, so I can't complain about an increase per se. And, personally, I usually park at the terminal, and those rates are staying the same. So this isn't a gripe.

That said, this all leaves me baffled. Not enough people are using their parking, so they raise prices? Won't this only drive demand down further? How about lowering prices, to win back parkers from the off-site lots?

Especially since they're increasing the price of the options that have the most competition - the discount options are the ones that compete with the off-site lots. The terminal parking is so convenient (if you have minimal bags) that they have no peer. But those rates stay the same. And they are pricing the outdoor infield lots the same as the terminal garages??? Why would anyone choose the infield now, unless the garages have filled up?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
"Mini Wright Amendment" - Monopolizing Valet Parking @ DFW

Here's some excerpts from an e-mail I just received from the owner of one of the privately-run valet parking operators:

[...]So let's talk bailouts at D/FW Airport.

In June the D/FW Airport Board approved a financial bailout for the California parking company (PCI) that operates the D/FW branded valet parking (you know, the guys that say “There's Only One”). The Board waived the minimum annual guarantee that PCI agreed to in the contract, and the percentage fee PCI pays to the airport was reduced by 33.3%.

Here's the part you're not going to like.

This past week the D/FW Airport Board approved a 25% increase in the fees that (customers of off-airport valet companies) have to pay for the right to choose (an off-airport entity) as (their) valet service. That's right. The airport's DFW branded valet company's fees went down 33%, (while fees charged to off-airport operators) went up 25%. I guess they need your money to pay for all the big banners, and carpeted parking slots, and $10 per day valet parking coupons (which independent operators are restricted from having).

The truth is, this has been brewing for some time. I've been holding off notifying you to see how the airport was going to respond to the financial results of their in-house valet project.

What are those results? PCI, the airport's valet contractor from California, lost $2.1M on $2.4M in revenues its first year in business. That's a loss of 87% on revenue. D/FW Airport also may have lost approximately $1.1M on the valet project based on information we have obtained through the Texas Public Information Act (information even the Airport Board has not been shown).

Instead of acknowledging the failure of this project, and allowing the successful off-airport valet companies [...] to take up the slack, D/FW Airport has responded by placing operating restrictions on the free-enterprise providers, and by using their regulatory authority to increase the financial and operating disparity between their government-supported operation and the independent valet companies. If you want a more detailed explanation of the systematic steps the airport is taking to eliminate competition in this market, click on this link.

But the bottom line is that they are increasing your fees to pay for their failed project. I personally believe that in order for their valet project to succeed they will ultimately need to eliminate all other valet options and establish a monopoly in the airport valet service industry at D/FW Airport. I believe that if the airport's Parking Business Unit is able to regulate the industry without any public accountability, then their valet motto will become a reality: "There's Only One." In fact that is exactly what one of their marketing memos states as a goal: “To build a fence around parking business from going to off-airport.” (June 9, 2008)

HKG_Flyer1, that will be a sad day, not only for you and for me. It will be a sad day for private enterprise in North Texas. The message to free enterprise will be: If you innovate for the benefit of the North Texas traveler, take risk, invest capital, develop a market, work hard to serve that market, and are successful in your efforts, DFW Airport will use its regulatory authority to usurp your innovation and seize control of that market. What country are we in?

I've appealed to the airport staff, with no results. So it's up to you.

If you want to insure that you always have a choice of service providers in a fair market, you are going to need to let the Airport Board and staff know how you feel. You are their customer. They exist to serve you. If you reside in the city limits of Dallas or Fort Worth you might also want to contact your city council member or mayor.

You can email the D/FW Airport Board and staff, or call them. The email addresses and phone numbers are listed below. Better yet, take a few minutes to defend our free enterprise system and your right to chose, and come to the next D/FW Airport Board meeting. You can contact the Board secretary, Donna Schnell, at [email protected] to register as a speaker. You'll have 3 minutes to talk. The next meeting is at 8:30 AM on Thursday, September 3, at the DFW Airport administrative offices. I will be there.

Thanks for your support, and for being an off-airport valet parking customer.
Jeff Fegan, CEO
DFW International Airport
3200 East Airfield Drive
DFW Airport, TX 75261
(972) 973-5200
[email protected]

Ken Buchanan, Executive Vice President - Revenue Management
3200 East Airfield Drive
DFW Airport, TX 75261
(972) 973-5225
[email protected]

Armin Cruz, Vice President - Parking
3200 East Airfield Drive
DFW Airport, TX 75261
(972) 973-4850
[email protected]

Lillie M. Biggins
Member, D/FW Airport Board
Harris Methodist Fort Worth
1301 Pennsylvania Ave.
Fort Worth, TX 76104
(817) 250-1200
[email protected]

Robert Hsueh
Secretary, D/FW Airport Board
Law Offices of Robert Hsueh
4201 Spring Valley Road; Ste. 1102
Dallas, TX, 75244-3619
(972) 239-5888
[email protected]

Tom Leppert
Mayor, City of Dallas
Dallas City Hall
1500 Marilla Street, Room 5EN
Dallas, TX 75201-6390
(214) 670-4054
http://www.ci.dallas.tx.us/forms/mcc..._mail_form.htm

Mike Moncrief
Mayor, City of Fort Worth
1000 Throckmorton St
Fort Worth, TX 76102
(817) 392-6118
[email protected]

Francisco Hernandez
Vice Chair, D/FW Airport Board
Law Offices of Francisco Hernandez
800 W Weatherford
Fort Worth, TX, 76102
(817) 335-2331
[email protected]

Benjamin Muro
Chairman, D/FW Airport Board
Acme Brick
2821 West 7th Street
Fort Worth, TX 76107-2288
(817) 332-4101
[email protected]

Bernice Washington
BJW Consulting Group, LLC
18352 Dallas Parkway ste. 136 PMB 340
Dallas Tx 75287 6842
(972) 407-9090
[email protected]

Brenda Reyes
Arriba Solutions
6333 E. Mockingbird Lane # 147-779
Dallas Tx 75214
(214) 727-7295
[email protected]

Betty J. Culbreath
P.O. Box 764588
Dallas Tx 75376
(214) 374-9100
[email protected]

Forrest Smith
Forrest Smith
3232 McKinney Ave
Dallas, TX 75204
(214) 740-1413
[email protected]

Marilyn J. DeVoe
Vice President – Dallas/Fort Worth
American Airlines
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
(817) 963-1234

Media Contacts

Cheryl Hall
Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Jack Fink
Channel 11 News
[email protected]

Bennett Cunningham
Channel 11 News
[email protected]

Eric Torbenson
Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Byron Okada
Fort Worth Star Telegram
[email protected][/FONT][/SIZE]
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

1. I fear any thread with "Wright Amendment" in its title.
2. This is not an AA-specific topic.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
This is not an AA-specific topic.
Under the DFW Airport operating agreement:
1) AA gets roughly 86% of the profits (if any) attributable to this business; and
2) AA has the apparent ability to direct the airport to abandon this policy.

Also, the substantial majority of impacted customers are AA passengers (and I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're not one of them ).

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; Aug 9, 2009 at 8:09 pm
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:37 pm

To say that airport parking is an airline-specific issue is a stretch, at best.

You guessed wrong.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:04 pm

To say that airport parking is an airline-specific issue is a stretch, at best.
The extraordinarily close operating relationship between DFW Airport and AA is without equal. AA could stop this is in an instant, if they so chose... I can't think of another airport where they hold such power over airport operating policies.
You guessed wrong.
[indent]I am surprised if indeed you truly are an AA customer that uses valet parking at DFW, yet react with indifference to the prospect of a $7 - $8/day increase in your parking rate.

Last edited by dstan; Aug 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm Reason: redacted personal exchange
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:08 pm
Suspended

2. This is not an AA-specific topic.
How so? It's main effect is on AA passengers. DFW is AA's largest hub
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Is that the same parking operator who was complaining about this earlier?

And, this is not AA specific since it affects passengers on every airline out of DFW. And there are a few besides AA.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
AA could stop this is in an instant, if they so chose
Can you cite any instance where AA exerted any influence over or even expressed any opinion about DFW parking rates?

DFW's contract with Pepsi affects more people than its contract with its valet parking contractor.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:24 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Although relevant to many AA flyers, this topic is also relevant to others who park at DFW. As such, we'll move this over to the South forum and will leave a permanent redirect here in the AA forum.

Also note this thread already started in the South forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-oct-09-a.html

Finally, unnecessary interpersonal exchanges and responses thereto have been removed. Debate the topic, not the poster.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.