Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I thought your first statement quoted was to stay up and watch the reruns on the Samsung..

Maybe the seperate paragraphs are 2 seperate ideas.. Did you mean to grab a hotel room and watch TV?
Oh. Sorry if I was unclear. I meant, bring book, movies and TV series and your laptop.

I don't really have a TV at home, so this is about all I know about watching TV series and DVDs.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Oh. Sorry if I was unclear. I meant, bring book, movies and TV series and your laptop.

I don't really have a TV at home, so this is about all I know about watching TV series and DVDs.
Gotcha!

and with the internet access.. the Samsung chairs.. and getting up for some food and a cup of coffee is about as good as it gets in Dallas airport.^
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
They aren't full lounges. They're just a bunch of cushy chairs with power outlets.

Samsung mobile travel lounge - A29, B8, B28, C8, C27, E8, E31

They don't have doors and a full wall, and are un-manned, so they should never be closed, although I haven't checked to see if there was a pull-down grill. I used to hang around there before I got AC membership.

DFW services
They're quite nice actually. I stumbled off a half-redeye (SFO I think) last year into one, still loopy on Tylenol PM, and went right back to sleep before going to catch my connection
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rob0001
Thanks for the info....
I had never heard of the web site sleepinginairports.net before, it's great!

The Hyatt would be $110, and for 5 hours on my own dime I'll pass I think.
The ugly connections (I have another 6+ hours when I get to Miami, lol) are due to using AA miles for a free trip to Colombia so I can't change it....it's pure vacation travel.....
Luckily the return trip is quick and painless, and on the way there in Miami is an Admiral Lounge I can use during the day for that 6 hours.

Thanks again everyone!
I hope that you are not relying on rates from the website. If you call the front desk (not the 800#) and ask about the specific times (lets say in at 10:30 PM and out at 4:30 AM) you may find them very willing to give you a much better rate. If that doesn't work, start calling hotels in a concentric circle around the airport which offer 24-hour shuttle.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
4.5 hour layover in DFW? Grapevine?

Hi all. Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. I thought it was a better idea than starting a new one.

I have a 4.5 hour stop in DFW as part of a mileage run. For some silly reason, I thought I read somewhere that there was an easy bus that would take me to downtown Grapevine in 15 minutes. I can't find this information anymore, so I think I might have been making this up...

With that in mind. Any suggestions for something to do that does not involve renting a car?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Hi all. Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. I thought it was a better idea than starting a new one.

I have a 4.5 hour stop in DFW as part of a mileage run. For some silly reason, I thought I read somewhere that there was an easy bus that would take me to downtown Grapevine in 15 minutes. I can't find this information anymore, so I think I might have been making this up...

With that in mind. Any suggestions for something to do that does not involve renting a car?
I've never used it (ok, I've never heard of it), but I think this is the bus you're looking for.
https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/Ma...0/Default.aspx
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Thanks for the link! That is it!

Just when I planned everything out for my MR this Wednesday, however, I checked the weather...

Am I nuts for wanting to walk about historical downtown Grapevine for a couple of hours ~3-5 PM in this heat? Is it as bad as weather.com is warning and should I stay in DFW or is Grapevine worth fighting the heat for?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Well, it is 100 miles from here to Grapevine, but Mother Nature makes little of the distance. I was outside, a necessary trip to one of those "mostly big box" shopping venues yesterday afternoon at 4PM. The weatherman said it was 106F. My amazingly accurate car's gadget rang in at 110F. It felt about 3 degrees below boiling point, and the asphalt was tacky.

I'd find a comfortable, cool, dark lair at DFW, 'cuz for all of the appeal of downtown Grapevine ;-), it ain't worth a few hours on Hell's doorstep.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:29 am

Yes, it is very hot, but it depends on what your tolerance is and if you have dressed appropriately. I and many others were outside watching professional tennis from 5:30p on in Grapevine last night, not to mention the players on the court. So it is doable, it is just whether you are willing to get very hot. You might want to bring an extra set of clothes to change into after you get back to the airport. (Or if you are wearing pants, bring shorts to change into on arrival, and then switch back to pants back at DFW.) As to whether Grapevine is worth it, I don't know, but personally I'd almost always rather spend some time seeing something as opposed to just an airport.

You could just walk around the outlet mall instead of downtown Grapevine. It isn't an airport and it is inside.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
DFW Layover---Whataburger......

I've got a one day turnaround planned at DFW for later this month and since I don't live in the south anymore, I really want to get a burger at Whataburger. I know it may not be the most healthy place to eat but when you've got a craving, you've got a craving!

I know that there is a Whataburger north of DFW near a bunch of hotels (Fairfield Inn, etc in Irving?). Short of taking a hotel shuttle is there any other way to get to a Whataburger without renting a car, using a taxi or getting on a hotel shuttle? Should I take the TRE to downtown?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
How long is the layover?

One option: Take the Remote South parking shuttle to that lot, then from there take the #408 DART bus. There's one on the bus route at 2931 North Belt Line Road, about a 20 minute ride.

http://dart.org/schedules/busschedul...d=&quicksched=
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:53 pm

Or to get to the one on the North end, take the Remote North parking shuttle and then DART 310. However, the problem with DART service is that it is usually hourly in the middle of the day.

It might be easier to ride one of the Grapevine shuttle buses and then go to the Whataburger near Grapevine Mills Mall (the Grapevine shuttles stop at the Embassy Suites (7 on their map) and on the North side of the Embassy Suites is Bass Pro and on the North side of Bass Pro is a Whataburger.)

https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/Ma...0/Default.aspx

I have to think that would be the easiest for a non-rental/taxi/hotel shuttle option.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
There is a Whataburger in the Shell station next to one of the offsite parking outfits, as well as several hotels right where it is. Maybe you can talk them into a ride back and forth. I think the parking company is Fasttrack. The Shell station is at Freeport and 114.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:32 pm

The absolute easiest choice would be the Whataburger on the perimeter of Grapevine Mills Mall. Take the Grapevine Shuttle (I think it's $5 for an all day pass) and use the Bass Pro or Embassy Suites stop.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
There is a Whataburger in the Shell station next to one of the offsite parking outfits, as well as several hotels right where it is. Maybe you can talk them into a ride back and forth. I think the parking company is Fasttrack. The Shell station is at Freeport and 114.
Thanks. That's the one that I know of from before (I stayed at one of the hotels nearby). Grapevine Mills is an option assuming that it doesn't take too long to get there from the airport----I will have about 4-5 hours at least so it should be enough time......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.