Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
For someone looking to make the most of a layover in DFW I always recommend downtown Grapevine, which is very charming with a lot of local restaurants, shops and wineries. However, a Sunday morning is not the optimal time to visit. Still, it's a very short drive/cab ride from the airport; logistically it's an ideal choice and most other times there is plenty to do.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:56 pm

If you find yourself without adequate time to venture outside, I'd recommend sitting down at Tigin in Terminal D and enjoying a few rounds of Black and Tans (or whatever draft you prefer) -- food is pretty good to
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:28 pm

DFW 12 hs. layover!!!!

Hi. We (Wife and me + 2 girls -11 & 9 yo) will be in DFW in september 14th (tuesday) for about 12 hrs. Our flight will land from HNL at 7 AM and next flight will depart at 7 PM aprox. Last flight is an international one (to Argentina).

AA phone seller told us that this kind of things happens everyday and advised us to leave the luggages already dispatched and go to Dallas City to spend the day. Will it worth it?
What is is supposed we have to do?. Is there any kind of tour or some of the sort?.

By the way, where can we leave the carry-on luggages?. Are still lockers in American airports? I will be carrying lots of carry-on, including an electric guitar.

Some people told me about going to Grapevine. Worth it?
Other told me to relax and spend the whole 12 hrs. inside the airport. Sounds oppressive!

And in case that we can do something, what could I expect upon returning to DFW to board the next flight -which is an international one-? I have read too much about people getting in lots of trouble because they went out of the airport for a couple of hours.

Any clue will be welcome.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's no problem at DFW to leave and re-enter. You're checked bags should get checked thru from HNL, so no worry about those. And security at DFW is easy, on a Tuesday afternoon, it'll probably be 5 minutes or less to get back thru. I don't think there is any bag storage, so you're best bet it to head to the lobby of the Hyatt hotel (attached to terminal D, the international terminal that you will depart from) and ask the bell desk to store them. If they give any push back, a tip should solve that.

There's a couple of other recent threads here about what to visit during DFW layovers.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: aadvantage plt
4hr connection at DFW, need suggestions

Thought the AA forum would be place to ask this question...

I have a relative who just texted me and has a 4 hour connection here in DFW, lands at (2pm). I have not seen him in many years and am looking for best options to have lunch with him...

-is there enough time to leave airport
-restaurants close to airport

thank you in advance
Jen
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:08 am

My parents live in Dallas and they have come to the airport to spend time with me at one of the Hyatt lobby restaurants a couple of times now. This is with a 3 hour layover. They are both fairly nice restaurants and a great place to catch up.

However, 4 hours is enough time to actually leave the airport, too. If they are just connecting, then they don't have to worry about checking in and can show up at the airport 45 minutes before their flight (assuming they didn't loose their boarding pass for the next flight). That gives you over 3 hours to spend together outside the airport. As for suggestions on where to go, that I cannot give.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: AAEXP, and every other one on the planet
Grand Hyatt

There is an excellent restaurant at the Grand Hyatt above Terminal D, easy for the traveler, and they will validate your parking ticket, just remember to remove your TollTag or they will bill you anyway...

dittymau
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: aadvantage plt
thanks for quick replies!
should be able to walk in, or are reservations needed?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
If you take the north exit out of DFW, there are lots of places in Grapevine.

Take 114 west (coming out of the north exit there is a loop to the right pretty quick)

Exit Main street, they are on your right
- High End - Bob's Steak and Chop House
- Wood Fired Pizza - Fireside Pies

Exit William D Tate
Chains:
-- on your right of the service road all together
- Uncle Julio's (Tex Mex)
- La Madelin
- PF Chang's
- Chilli's
-- turn left at the light, cross the overpass and turn left again onto the service road all these are together on the right
- California Pizza Kitchen
- Boston Market
- Red Robin (Burgers)
- Carrabba's (Italian)
- Boston's
- TGI Friday's
- Outback
- Hooter's
-- on your right after crossing the overpass.
- Bone Daddy's (Hooter's of BBQ)

There is more stuff near by, but that gives you an idea if you want to leave the airport.

Irving is another option if you want to drive a little further.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:13 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Please continue to follow this thread in the South forum, where there are several recent threads on what to do during long DFW layovers.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I wouldn't try to leave the airport, given the vicissitudes of 4 hour connections. The Grand Hyatt attached to Terminal D has decent restaurant facilities, no reservations needed, and represent an easy exit to lobby from terminal D (quick connect inside security to other terminals by SkyLink) for your arriving relative, and usually a quick passage back through security for him/her. Parking validation for you, too....
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:56 pm

6 hour nighttime layover in Dallas, what to do...

Hi All,
I have an ugly 6+ hour layover at night in Dallas. I arrive at 10:00 pm and fly out at 5:45 am so all the lounges are closed I believe. Should I camp out somewhere in the airport (suggestions please, where in the airport) or get a room somewhere (suggestions please)? I'm flying AA to Miami at 5:45 am if that helps pinpoint an area.
Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by rob0001
Hi All,
I have an ugly 6+ hour layover at night in Dallas. I arrive at 10:00 pm and fly out at 5:45 am so all the lounges are closed I believe. Should I camp out somewhere in the airport (suggestions please, where in the airport) or get a room somewhere (suggestions please)? I'm flying AA to Miami at 5:45 am if that helps pinpoint an area.
Thanks!
Here is what SleepingInAirports.com has to say about DFW.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I'd choose the Hyatt attached to the airport if the rate was within reason.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by rob0001
Hi All,
I have an ugly 6+ hour layover at night in Dallas. I arrive at 10:00 pm and fly out at 5:45 am so all the lounges are closed I believe. Should I camp out somewhere in the airport (suggestions please, where in the airport) or get a room somewhere (suggestions please)?
My first inclination is to tell you to change your itinerary...

I would never counsel anyone to sleep in an airport, but if you choose to do so DFW seems like a decent enough place to do so. I'd recommend Terminal B - smaller, quieter, darker. Terminal D would be a nightmare.

DFW does have an attached Hyatt hotel (no shuttle needed), so arriving at 10pm you might get to bed by 11:00, and then could sleep as late as 4:30am. If that incoming flight is delayed however, you're gonna be doubly pissed (delayed, plus cutting into your already limited sleep hours).

That Hyatt might be pretty expensive for 5 hours, but maybe this is on a company dime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.