Wiki Posts
Search

Houston traffic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler
Houston traffic

Hi. A quick question about Houston area traffic. I finish up at Rice University around 5:15pm on a Tuesday. How long to drive to IAH?

I would then drop off rental car. Any chance I could be in the terminal (before security) in an hour? Can I make a flight departing at 7:15 or 7:30pm. I have TSA Pre-check, no bag checking.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Hi. A quick question about Houston area traffic. I finish up at Rice University around 5:15pm on a Tuesday. How long to drive to IAH?

I would then drop off rental car. Any chance I could be in the terminal (before security) in an hour? Can I make a flight departing at 7:15 or 7:30pm. I have TSA Pre-check, no bag checking.
I can't say for sure because I have no experience with rental car drop off and the shuttle back to the terminal at IAH, but as a Houston resident, 1 hr at that time of day would be too tight for comfort.

Traffic usually isn't bad on 59 once you get through Downtown, but the problem is Rice is before the downtown core so you'd get stuck in that traffic until you get through downtown. If you finished an hour earlier I'd say you'd likely be fine.

What airline you flying?

Just for fun I plugged this into google maps and it says Rice to IAH is 33 minutes, at 7 pm, so 1-2 hrs after peak rush hour.

For next Tuesday, leaving around your time it says this. I would highly recommend you leave earlier, or try to take a later flight. I think the odds are against you, and I want you to not miss your flight.

Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler
Thanks. Yeah, i was thinking this is too optimistic. I will stay the evening and depart the next morning.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I can't say for sure because I have no experience with rental car drop off and the shuttle back to the terminal at IAH, but as a Houston resident, 1 hr at that time of day would be too tight for comfort.

Traffic usually isn't bad on 59 once you get through Downtown, but the problem is Rice is before the downtown core so you'd get stuck in that traffic until you get through downtown. If you finished an hour earlier I'd say you'd likely be fine.

What airline you flying?

Just for fun I plugged this into google maps and it says Rice to IAH is 33 minutes, at 7 pm, so 1-2 hrs after peak rush hour.

For next Tuesday, leaving around your time it says this. I would highly recommend you leave earlier, or try to take a later flight. I think the odds are against you, and I want you to not miss your flight.

Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I will stay the evening and depart the next morning.
Not sure what your travel expense situation is like if its for work or whatever, but Hotel ZaZa which is right across from the main entrance to Rice is supposed to be a very nice hotel (it's a boutique Texas chain). I've never stayed there, only been to the lobby bar. Other than that I'd pick a place downtown, there are lots of good restaurants particularly on the northern part of Downtown.

Feel free to post here or PM me with any specific questions.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:50 am

Since you're going to spend the night go check out Tiny Box Woods. Great place to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.