Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Best BBQ in/near DAL?

Best BBQ in/near DAL?

Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Best BBQ in/near DAL?

Saw that there was thread for best BBQ near DFW and things to do during a layover there but nothing for DAL.

I've never had Texas BBQ and I'd like to try some during my 5 hour layover at DAL next Friday (12:40 PM to 5:40 PM) but not sure what the best options are. Would prefer a place that gives you some white bread aka napkins for sopping

Google says that there's a Dickey's in DAL but my Texan friends told me to just go outside and find something better but they disagree on what's better so I'm turning to FT for help.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Closest to Love Field is probably Big Al's. Maybe even walkable, if it's not too hot, about 2 miles. It gets good reviews, I haven't been in years, but remember it as good but not noteworthy.

A little further, but still a short (15 min) Uber ride is the Slow Bone. Outstanding brisket, not sure about white bread but try the jalepeno corm bread on the side. That'd be my recommendation.

Consensus best in town is Pecan Lodge, but be prepared for a very long line, especially on a Friday. With 5 hours, though, you should be ok.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm going to try for Pecan Lodge because go big or go home. Slow Bone if inbound is delayed and it hasn't closed for the day yet.

Wasn't too happy about having a layover but now I'm looking forward to having some BBQ
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by swag
Closest to Love Field is probably Big Al's. Maybe even walkable, if it's not too hot, about 2 miles. It gets good reviews, I haven't been in years, but remember it as good but not noteworthy.
Was there not too long ago for lunch while showing an airplane at KDAL. Unremarkable BBQ. I wouldn't go back unless time was of the essence.

Consensus best in town is Pecan Lodge, but be prepared for a very long line, especially on a Friday. With 5 hours, though, you should be ok.
Actually I think the bigger risk at Pecan Lodge is not the line but being out of food given OP's time window of 1240-1740. Pecan Lodge stays open all day on Friday and Saturday but when I have been there during odd hours for a very late lunch/very early dinner, they are often out of a lot of their food. New batches come off the smoker later for the traditional dinner hours crowd.

Suggestion to OP: give Pecan Lodge a call before you leave KDAL to head their way and make sure they have plenty of brisket left (I can almost guarantee they will be out of beef ribs).
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I didn't even think about availability issues! I can live without the beef ribs but brisket is a must. Calling is a good idea and I'll pop in here on Saturday or Friday for an update
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Everyone can live without beef ribs.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Pecan Lodge.

And living without beef ribs is a suspect proposition.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Pecan Lodge.

And living without beef ribs is a suspect proposition.
We are in Texas. Ribs are pork.
Deeloveli likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:43 pm

I completely agree with the Pecan Lodge suggestion that place is excellent. Also I would add Lockharts in the Bishop Arts District.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Surprised no one has mentioned Sonny Bryan's on Mockingbird. Further than Al's but this is an :-: institution :-:

Free ride from the airport on bus #524, but connection to the other bus is horrible. About 10 minute walk on Inwood.

Ride back to DAL is not free on DART, but if during weekday between 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. only $1.75. The whole walk one way is probably 45 minutes.

I walk these routes regularly for exercise
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:22 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Sonny Bryan's (Inwood at Harry Hines) is located practically in the shadow of Love Field. Barbecue abounds with personal opinions. Yet, in my view, Sonny Bryan's near DAL is the best Barbecue on the planet.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Sonny Bryan's (Inwood at Harry Hines) is located practically in the shadow of Love Field. Barbecue abounds with personal opinions. Yet, in my view, Sonny Bryan's near DAL is the best Barbecue on the planet.
Agree it's excellent, but wow, that's high praise indeed.

And it's been open 24/7 for a while now. Gone is the sign that said "Open until we run out of food."

But I'm not sure I'd say it's in the shadow of DAL

Without traffic probably 10 minute drive. Lots and lots of taxis, Ubers and Lyfts at Love.

About an hour walk each way if you want to work off your meal, but I would NOT suggest that this time of the year.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I have only been to Pecan Lodge (twice) of those mentioned, but I still dream about that place!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Two things. First, definitely pecan lodge over lockhart, which is, IMO, hit or miss on being elite bbq.

2nd, so you've called PL to confirm they have meat (never known this to be a problem since they opened the deep ellum store) and are headed that way. Assuming you get there and find a long line, check inside for a seat at the bar. You can order from the bartender and skip the line if you snag one of the barstools.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:10 am

Uber or take a Taxi to Pecan Lodge, ignore all suggestions that are not Pecan Lodge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.