Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Four days in Dallas: where to stay, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Wife and I (both in our early 30s) are heading out to Dallas in July (15-20). I've been to the city once, during the winter and very briefly, so we could use some help. We will be there for four full days, at the conclusion of which I will have a work day in Irving and we'll fly to L.A. after. But for the long weekend (Friday night to Tuesday afternoon) we'd like to figure out things to do. I remember Uptown being a fun neighborhood, but am a bit wary of staying in the middle of the city for the entirety of the four days given how vast the Metro area is.

We're looking for pretty much any suggestions but especially where to stay (either paid or on points; if you know of any hotel chain discounts like buy 3, get 1 free, so much the better). Outdoorsy stuff is good but it will be hot, so there's that to keep in mind. If there are any lakes around worth checking out, we'd love that. We are likely going to check out the zoo. Maybe a soccer game (Chicago Fire is playing in Dallas on the 16th of July).

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
For outdoors-y stuff, mornings are your friend. I will hike or bike or paddle here in the summer, but try to be done by around 11 am.

Recreationally, most of the area lakes are aimed at boaters. Not much in the way of good beaches. Motorboat rentals are available at many lakes, if you want to fish or water ski, but I haven't done that in many years.

White Rock Lake is a good spot for biking and paddling. You can Google for bike rental shops near the lake; once at the lake, it's a nice 9-10 mile loop to ride the bike path around the lake.
Kayak and SUP rentals are available from http://whiterockpaddle.com/

For hiking, the best spot is probably Cedar Ridge Preserve. It's a far cry from Colorado, but there are some interesting trails for an hour or two.
http://www.audubondallas.org/cedar-ridge-preserve/
Old May 26, 2016, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
For outdoors-y stuff, mornings are your friend. I will hike or bike or paddle here in the summer, but try to be done by around 11 am.
Yeah, good point. I've driven through Texas in August. Only New Orleans was worse in terms of heat. Given that we will still be on Detroit time, this may not be a big problem even in spite of our sleeping-in proclivity.
Recreationally, most of the area lakes are aimed at boaters. Not much in the way of good beaches.
Now, that's disappointing. May need to find a hotel with a good pool, then.
White Rock Lake is a good spot for biking and paddling. You can Google for bike rental shops near the lake; once at the lake, it's a nice 9-10 mile loop to ride the bike path around the lake.
That's not a bad shout, thanks!

Where would you stay? And what would you recommend on the urban flipside as far as activities?
Old May 26, 2016, 10:21 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Where would you stay? And what would you recommend on the urban flipside as far as activities?
The Perot Museum gets high marks in Dallas, but I'm still a fan of Fort Worth.

Sundance Square, Museum District, and IMHO, Fort Worth Zoo over Dallas, monorail notwithstanding.

To add to White Rock lake which is very nice, I used to ride my bike along trails of Trinity River in Fort Worth (did I mention I was a fan of FW?)

As for hotels, give us a price range

And if you rent a car Fossil Rim Park has a nice safari (southwest of FW).
Old May 26, 2016, 10:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Dallas in the summer is not pleasant for outdoor activities. I usually try to stay in air conditioned locations as much as often.

The Dallas Arboretum is nice to take a walk around in the mornings.

The lakes are meh although there are some city lake beaches if you're willing to drive into the suburbs, but it's far from the Dallas core.

The Dallas Farmer's Market and Bishop Art's District isn't bad for outdoors shopping.

NorthPark Center and the Dallas Galleria are where people love to shop especially for expensive items.

Plenty of museums...Perot, DMA, George W Bush library at SMU, etc.

Catch a Texas Rangers baseball game if they are playing in Arlington.

Six Flags or Hurricane Harbor if you're into amusement parks and water parks.

Dinner at the top of Reunion Tower at sunset, but make reservations way in advance.

Uptown, Downtown, Deep Ellum...lots of different neighborhoods.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
As for hotels, give us a price range
Think Holiday Inn Express with anything extra (say, if any special offers are available) being a pleasant surprise upgrade.

Free parking would be good, as would easy access to roads to all the different places folks here have suggested.

Last edited by highlanderfil; May 26, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The Perot Museum gets high marks in Dallas, but I'm still a fan of Fort Worth.
Add the Kimbell Art Museum to the Fort Worth list. Excellent collection housed in a building by Louis Kahn (architect oh the Salk Institute in San Diego).
Old May 27, 2016, 11:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Now, that's disappointing. May need to find a hotel with a good pool, then.That's not a bad shout, thanks!
If you were in town the weekend prior, there's an open water swim happening near Little Elm in Lewisville Lake on Sun 7/10. There's all kinds of options for the swim, from 750m up to 4000m, plus some splash + dash options, and the cost is quite reasonable.
I'll probably come up for it; I'm trying to get my other half to go. I've never been to the DFW area, other than passing through the DFW airport and a day at Six Flags once back in 1990.

Unfortunately, I don't see any swimming events happening when you'll be in town.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
Unfortunately, I don't see any swimming events happening when you'll be in town.
Not super important. We just wanted a lake to splash around in and it looks like there are a few. Sadly, there are no places to stay (major chains, anyways) that don't require driving to get to those lakes.

So how about I make it easier with my request for lodging advice... I'm looking for a Cat 1-4 (for most major programs) property that is in a nice enough neighborhood for an evening walk (i.e., tree-lined street not overlooking a strip mall or a gravel lot and with at least a coffee shop of some sort that is reachable on foot) and within a half hour's drive from Dallas proper. Any ideas?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:30 am

The only hotel I can think of is Warwick Melrose Hotel, others tend to be more expensive. Lots of trees and walking possible, close to Katy Trail, though it is near the heart of Dallas' alternative lifestyle district. Does not bother me, but it may be a consideration for some.

I'm sure there are others I'm not familiar with.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

The only hotel I can think of is Warwick Melrose Hotel, others tend to be more expensive. Lots of trees and walking possible, close to Katy Trail, though it is near the heart of Dallas' alternative lifestyle district. Does not bother me, but it may be a consideration for some.

I'm sure there are others I'm not familiar with.
We generally tend to like the liberal vibe of those districts, actually. Problem is, Warwick isn't a mainstream point-redeeming property and I'd like to avoid spending cash if I can.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:42 pm

We generally tend to like the liberal vibe of those districts, actually. Problem is, Warwick isn't a mainstream point-redeeming property and I'd like to avoid spending cash if I can.
Ah, OK.

There's a Holiday Inn a couple of miles from there on Harry Hines. I've stayed there before for 15K points, but if you look outside ..... well, it's not pretty.

But Uptown and Katy Trail are only a few miles away, and it does have a pool.

And about a quarter mile from Light Rail station.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking at the Market Center area - there are a few cheap-ish Hilton properties there with free parking (which, in the areas close to Downtown is impossible to find and gets expensive very fast). Any comment on that area of the city?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I'm looking at the Market Center area - there are a few cheap-ish Hilton properties there with free parking (which, in the areas close to Downtown is impossible to find and gets expensive very fast). Any comment on that area of the city?
It's not necessary a great part of Dallas, but it's close to I-35 and close to the Dallas core (downtown, uptown, etc). And depending where you are staying, you can be close to the train (DART).
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
It's not necessary a great part of Dallas, but it's close to I-35 and close to the Dallas core (downtown, uptown, etc). And depending where you are staying, you can be close to the train (DART).
Gotcha. Can you recommend a better one to look at outside the Down/Uptown area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.