Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible relocation to Dallas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
...the weather wasn't really that different (and for those of you who say it is a dry heat in PHX, I invite you to spend a month in July/August - yes not 90% like Michigan, but 115 degrees + 50% doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference).
Weather is more than temperature. North Texas gets hit by far more tornadoes per year than Phoenix. Also, when was the last time PHX was shut down by a snow storm?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
How is Dallas/Ft. Worth going to work w/ Ian's "10 mile rule"? (10mr is he won't go farther than 10 miles for a date).

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
How is Dallas/Ft. Worth going to work w/ Ian's "10 mile rule"? (10mr is he won't go farther than 10 miles for a date).

Cheers.
I would say terrible, but Phoenix is nearly as sprawly as DFW is and it seems he has managed to make Phoenix work. He's going to have to pick a place well in DFW, though.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I would say terrible, but Phoenix is nearly as sprawly as DFW is and it seems he has managed to make Phoenix work. He's going to have to pick a place well in DFW, though.
Dallas is denser. I'll be fine if I move.

FWIW I did a 10 mile search for the following criteria on match

zip 85255
F 35-48
White
slender, athletic and toned
results: 344

zip 75254
F35-48
White
slender, athletic and toned
results: 766

Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by enviroian
Dallas is denser. I'll be fine if I move.
I'm used to Boston/NYC level of density, but Dallas shouldn't be any worse than Phoenix, and will probably be better from that perspective than Phoenix. Plus people from Texas are used to driving far, so you might have better luck with having someone from outside your 10 mile radius being willing to meet you inside of it.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the other hand Ian you could be here in Wyoming running bleachers with me in the snow with 14 degree weather.

*I totally get why people don't like the mountains but I've always said I can dress for the cold and get comfortable (although today I didn't wear a heavy enough glove and my fingers were getting pretty cold at the end). When its 110 out and humid I can get down to shoes and shorts but its still too hot for me to workout outside.

**I'm not a huge fan of doing it when they are wet but snow is better than rain I guess.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
On the other hand Ian you could be here in Wyoming running bleachers with me in the snow with 14 degree weather.

*I totally get why people don't like the mountains but I've always said I can dress for the cold and get comfortable (although today I didn't wear a heavy enough glove and my fingers were getting pretty cold at the end). When its 110 out and humid I can get down to shoes and shorts but its still too hot for me to workout outside.

**I'm not a huge fan of doing it when they are wet but snow is better than rain I guess.
Call me odd but I don't mind heat at all. I'm also a weather nerd and the Dallas thunderstorms are legendary.

I can just see me now...smoking a cigar and enjoying a PBR looking at match profiles with storms rumbling in the distance. Lol
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call me odd but I don't mind heat at all.
Some people do enjoy being out in the heat...i'll never understand that

Some people don't do much outside but move from AC to AC (or heat to heat where I live)...those people also tend to be a bit less impacted by the weather.

I can just see me now...smoking a cigar and enjoying a PBR looking at match profiles with storms rumbling in the distance. Lol
^
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Ooh Dallas. I know nothing about it but it sounds exciting.
The thought of moving to the DFW area makes me nauseous. And my mother was a Texan. Decent airport, however.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I grew up in Michigan. It's not a problem for me....
The additional 10-15 degrees make a big difference, believe me. I grew up in the northeast and thought I could handle humidity.

82 and humid is tolerable...97 not so much.

You are correct, however, that Houston is more humid.

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
...and for those of you who say it is a dry heat in PHX, I invite you to spend a month in July/August - yes not 90% like Michigan, but 115 degrees + 50% doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference)....
Try 115 degrees and 12%. Sorry...the difference is huge. The human body simply can't cool itself effectively when dew points are in the mid-60s and higher.

Last edited by Bonehead; Apr 17, 2016 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lease cancellation costs

For kicks and giggles I went down to my leasing office (Camden apts) today to check what I'm looking at if I break my lease.

1. If I transfer to another Camden property I'm looking at 30 day notice (while being current at $1824) + $924 1/2 month fee + $2864 concession fee re-pay (I got this credit when I moved in) so basically $5,612.

2. If I cancel altogether (not transferring to a Camden property) I'm looking at 60 day notice (while being current = $3648) + 1 month fee $1848 + $2864 concession re-pay so basically $8360

Well folks I'm not interviewing for an EVP job for IBM so there is no way in hell I would see them paying this. Hell I'm probably looking only at $5K for the truck move.

First things first I'm not obviously going to say anything before when and IF they provide me an offer (although I have made them aware I was in a lease situation). I see four scenarios:

1. Get job offer then when I tell them above lease cx costs they recommend I just hang tight for another 6 months when my lease expires (exp 9/15/16) then I will plan my move to Dallas. *This seems most plausible.

2. Get job offer and they want me out there despite it costing them $10-15K
*unlikely

3. Get job offer then redact it when they find out lease costs

4. NO offer given

Well if it's #3 it's probably not the firm I'd want to work for anyway so that would be saving me a lot of grief.

I'm a very positive person who believes life is about timing and things happen for a reason. That will play here. If I don't get this job I will continue with my current role as it is and that's that.

FWIW I didn't find any Camden apartments I like. The only new ones I did like are in the uptown area but I decided I'd rather stay clear of that area. I already did Logan Square. I'm done with that. Also the Camden apt there I do like is identical inside to mine right down to flooring and cabinetry however the price is $600 more per month.

Uptown living is definitely more expensive than Scottsdale. I even trulia'd new apartments ground zero in Old Town. Nope. Still cheaper than Uptown Dallas.

However, outside downtown the prices drop dramatically and are the same if not considerably less than Scottsdale. There are plenty of beautiful new places hopefully I will call home sometime. If not, nothing gained, nothing lost.

I'd also like to thank a fellow flyertalker for the enormous amount of information regarding apartment living in the metroplex area. Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will be interesting to see. My guess is that 10-15k isn't that much money and they'll cover it for you. If you take a look at a fully loaded wage (wage + benefits + commissions/bonuses) it puts the 10k in perspective.

I haven't seen any of our relocation packages in a long while but when I did they were pretty generous, IMO, for many positions and were always "grossed up".
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cover or have you work from phx for 6 months both sound reasonable
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: *G
Well folks I'm not interviewing for an EVP job for IBM so there is no way in hell I would see them paying this. Hell I'm probably looking only at $5K for the truck move.
2. Get job offer and they want me out there despite it costing them $10-15K
*unlikely
Originally Posted by annerj
Will be interesting to see. My guess is that 10-15k isn't that much money and they'll cover it for you.

Really a tiny drop in a big bucket. Atleast if we're talking about major corporations with enough mobile workforce necessitating defined reloc policy. Ours covered all moves down to the junior staffing level (the most frequent, since theyre mostt amenable to moving).

10K-15K would be on the low end of company expenditure, and its normal for that expenditure to be outsized compared to ones expectation, relative to salary. So executive positions not a requirement. And we're talking about typically young and single crowd relocating interstate... imagine shipping families back and forth across the borders
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I still haven't figured out why you need to live in D/FW with a home office but nevertheless I will provide my experiences in this area:

In the late 1980's to early 1990's, I lived in Arlington. I hated it because they have no city buses. At that time Arlington was the largest city in the USA with no public transit. Today, Arlington is still the largest city in the USA with no public transit. It makes no sense to me. 300,000 people live there and quite a few of them do not own a car. They have to bum a ride or a take a taxi. Idiot city!

I lived there before I had a car of my own, and ever since then, I punish them for their stupidity by not staying in a hotel in Arlington (i.e., hotel taxes) regardless of how inconvenient it is. I have a car now and have for many years, but I will never forget having to walk two miles in the horrible heat or freezing cold to/from work.

I moved to Dallas just so I could ride the city bus. I made $4.15/hr and my rent was $295/month for a studio apartment. The place was nice, with gates and two pools. Unfortunately, it went ghetto and got torn down and replaced with a shopping center (Skillman & NW Hwy).

Since then, the population of the Metroplex has exploded along with the traffic. I lived in Orange County California since then, so I know what bad traffic is. D/FW traffic is quickly approaching LA traffic levels and the people apparently just don't care.

Fortunately, DART has finally built trains, including a line to DFW Airport, and you can be there in 30 minutes during rush hour even while living in Dallas near a rail stop. I've ridden all the lines and there are some nice looking places, apartment buildings with retail on the street level. You could save a lot of money in rent by living south of downtown Dallas on any rail line, but those neighborhoods are quite scary. $2,000 a month should get you a very nice 2BR apartment.

I moved to BFE Oklahoma because I didn't want to throw away $600 a month on apartment rent. Occasionally I visit the D/FW Metroplex to visit family, and I swear every time I go the traffic is worse. Last Friday I-35E northbound was closed in Lewisville because of a fatal wreck+southbound had a lane shut+I-30 in downtown Dallas had two problem+etc etc... really, instead of doing traffic reports for 1 minute, every 10 minutes, they need a separate channel with all the traffic problems which would take 10 minutes before you refresh. sigalert on AM radio.

Best of luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.