Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Possible relocation to Dallas

Possible relocation to Dallas

Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I currently live in a brand new Camden property. I will check what they have in the metroplex area.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Maybe Arlington?

So, you are in to big hair right?

Giggles.
You know what they say.....the higher the hair, the closer to God.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What's las colinas like?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
What's las colinas like?
Las Colinas is a LOT of apartments and a few restaurants or bars. The city of Irving cannot get a project off the ground to put in shops around all of the apartments in the Mandalay lake/canals area. It doesn't have a "vibe" to me like Grapevine or Uptown does but it does have a lot of apartment complexes. It is very convenient to the airport and even in rush hour traffic wouldn't take long to get to/from the airport. It is pretty much deserted streets and office buildings because other than apartments and office buildings it hasn't developed.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Would Austin be too long of a commute?
^

I'd vote for ft worth as well. I'm not a big fan of either but its the lessor of two evils.

*I had back to back long term projects in dallas and couldn't ever acclimate to the weather or the traffic. I did enjoy the people and the food is amazing.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you're used to ASU talent, you might be slightly disappointed, but that's true about moving from ASU to 99.9% of places. SMU has a good bench of hot, upper middle class women.

This might belong in the Match.com thread but seemed more relevant here.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
If you're used to ASU talent, you might be slightly disappointed, but that's true about moving from ASU to 99.9% of places. SMU has a good bench of hot, upper middle class women.

This might belong in the Match.com thread but seemed more relevant here.
Dude I'm 47. I'm not interested in collegiate girls.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by csufabel
Fort Worth suburbs and Tarrant County are far better than Dallas and Dallas County. If you want to live north of Dallas (Frisco, Alllen) which your lifestyle may require, then that's your decision.

There are plenty of chain restaurants, so you will have a pool if you relocate

Tarrant County is not that dry, but some places are. Dallas and Collin (North Dallas) still have Dry parts too.
I disagree with this. I feel the Dallas side and suburbs are better for my lifestyle and I have lived in and around both cities. I have lived from Fort Worth, Hurst, Grapevine, Coppell, Dallas, up and down to McKinney, Plano, Frisco and Uptown. I did skip over Arlington and far west Fort Worth suburbs. My favorites areas to live are Uptown, Addison, Grapevine and Dallas.

Liquor laws have changed, you can get a drink anywhere in Dallas and Collin County if the restaurant wants to get a liquor license. If they don't have a liquor license a lot of restaurants are BYOB. You may have to drive over to the next city for a liquor store but you are talking 5 or 10 minutes. So I don't know what you exactly mean by dry, wine and beer sales are everywhere.

After 16 years of moving from one area to another I landed in Far North Dallas and just love it on the Dallas side.

I love it here, Dallas has a lot of activities you can do. The people area friendly, I have found it be easy to make friends here and find people to socialize with.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I will home office and travel frequently via DFW.

Is the metro phx area larger or smaller than the metro dfw area?

What's Plano like? My brother and his family lived in Plano/Frisco for years and it looks nice but I don't want to move to the equivalent of Chandler/Gilbert where it's mostly families.
I'm confused. If you work from a home office, why can't you travel from any major airport and not necessarily DFW? If you must go in for occasional meetings, couldn't you fly in at your own expense in the worst case?

ADDED: Are there potential emergencies that would require your presence in some DFW area office almost instantly?

I've heard of call center people who were required to live within a certain phone service area (such as being a "local" call away from the physical call center and served by the same provider of local hardwired service) as a condition of working from home. There might have also been requirements of being able to use some particular internet service provider.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I disagree with this. I feel the Dallas side and suburbs are better for my lifestyle and I have lived in and around both cities. I have lived from Fort Worth, Hurst, Grapevine, Coppell, Dallas, up and down to McKinney, Plano, Frisco and Uptown. I did skip over Arlington and far west Fort Worth suburbs. My favorites areas to live are Uptown, Addison, Grapevine and Dallas.

Liquor laws have changed, you can get a drink anywhere in Dallas and Collin County if the restaurant wants to get a liquor license. If they don't have a liquor license a lot of restaurants are BYOB. You may have to drive over to the next city for a liquor store but you are talking 5 or 10 minutes. So I don't know what you exactly mean by dry, wine and beer sales are everywhere.

After 16 years of moving from one area to another I landed in Far North Dallas and just love it on the Dallas side.

I love it here, Dallas has a lot of activities you can do. The people area friendly, I have found it be easy to make friends here and find people to socialize with.
"Activities" = drinking and mechanical bull riding? (Not that drinking isn't a favored activity in other places too.)
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Congratulations is in order. I hope they treat you better and now you have anew batch of Texan women.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Is this move because you have run out of new matches in PHX?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I think most of Plano and pretty much all of Frisco skews heavily towards families. The younger/hipper parts of Plano would probably be Shops @ Legacy area and the revitalized 15th St Downtown area.

I live in Far North Dallas, between Plano and Addison, and like it. Addison has a ton of bars and restaurants, owing to its legacy years ago as one of the first parts of the Metroplex to go wet. But a lot of the spots there are corporate / chains, with fewer independent and quirky places. Both Plano and Addison don't have many live music spots, if that matters you you.

The Uptown area others have mentioned could be a good choice.

One other that hasn't come up yet is the M Streets area near Greenville Ave below Mockingbird. I'd check that out too.

Traffic can be bad here sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad as Austin or LA. My 25 minute drive to DFW only expands to 30-35 during rush hour. But getting across town to Ft Worth can be horrific in the afternoon rush.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I currently live in north Scottsdale and am looking at a new potential job based out of DFW land.

I'm single, mid 40's and like the bars, restaurants, shopping, and other activities this area offers to said batchelor.

What would be a good equivalent for me to look at? I'd like to rent a new apartment, be 30 minutes from DFW and be in an area that has the lifestyle I enjoy now.

Thanks!
good luck! hopefully you will not run out of dates there
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:55 am

We moved to the Fort Worth area earlier this year and have been enjoying it so far.

OP what's your budget? Looking to buy or rent?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.