Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
All about Austin, Texas

Threads that focus on Austin Specifics:

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

All about Austin, TX [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Drove out to Austin this past weekend to visit friends. Had dinner at Vox Table (just outside of the downtown scene) and it was amazing. It's located just down from Uchi (go if you can get in).

When are you going? I ask b/c if UT is in session then anywhere you go downtown is going to be a mob scene. If you want a bourbon street feel then go to 6th street. Same atmosphere just more homeless folk.

Rainey st has some great bars. In particular, the blackheart. Great bourbon / whiskey bar.

If you're renting a car keep in mind the traffic is horrible. And this is coming from someone who lives in Houston.
Thanks so much! I'm going in early April (hopefully, the students will all be on Spring break in Cancun or whatever! ) and at this stage not planning to rent a car. Houston is where I used to live in TX so you get my sympathy re-traffic!! Please say hi to the city for me!!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm pretty new to the Austin area and I'll be near downtown this weekend with friends. Does anyone have suggestions for a place to eat dinner on Friday night?
Looking for almost any kind of food, casual, and prices no more than $20 for dinner.

I found this place that seems to fit:
https://locu.com/places/la-condesa-austin-us/#menu

Has anyone been there? Thoughts?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm pretty new to the Austin area and I'll be near downtown this weekend with friends. Does anyone have suggestions for a place to eat dinner on Friday night?
Looking for almost any kind of food, casual, and prices no more than $20 for dinner.

I found this place that seems to fit:
https://locu.com/places/la-condesa-austin-us/#menu

Has anyone been there? Thoughts?
Going solo or with others? VOX Table was amazing. It's more of a tapas/share style. Really high quality stuff and great drinks.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:22 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Go to Salt Lick for the BYOB or for the atmosphere; don't make that trip for the food, though. Salt Lick is not on Texas Monthly's most recent (2013) list of Top 50 BBQ joints. Several places in Austin (in addition to Franklin) do make the list--and that list was compiled before three heavyweights opened here (Black's; Terry Black's; and Cooper's). If your goal is to find great BBQ, a trip to Driftwood should be pretty far down your list.

Back in the day we used to say that in Austin you can get "both kinds of food in the world: BBQ and Tex-Mex." It was always in jest, and new locals of cosmopolitan Austin would probably be completely puzzled to hear it. Still, any short-term visitor should make BBQ and Tex-Mex (or interior Mexican, something quite different), their first and second priorities.

The Fearless Critic website's current "Most delicious in Austin"list (regardless of cuisine type):
9.7 Congress
9.7 Uchiko
9.6 Uchi
9.5 Franklin Barbecue
9.4 Louie Mueller BBQ
9.3 Snow’s Bar-B-Q
9.3 Teji’s Foods
9.3 Taco More
9.2 Justine’s Brasserie
9.2 Olivia
Scores are for "food" only. See the website for other scores and price categories.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Austin is a wonderful city to hang out in. Make sure you head down to Rainey Street for a night of drinks. You can't go wrong with practically any bar there but Icenhauer's and Banger's Sausage House are my favorite. Banger's has something like 100+ beers on tap.
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Going solo or with others? VOX Table was amazing. It's more of a tapas/share style. Really high quality stuff and great drinks.
I asked some people in the office today; one has a friend who is a foodie and goes out to downtown Austin about weekly. The recommendation was for Banger's, and I think that's where we'll go. From their website (and Google satellite images), it looks like a perfect place (weather permitting), and the price is right too.

I have some good local Mexican, Tex Mex, pizza, Chinese, and a few other restaurants that I've found here....but they are all up in Round Rock, Cedar Park, or Georgetown. It is rather surprising that there's good food even out suburbia.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
Does anyone have suggestions for a place to eat dinner on Friday night?
I first dined at Gloria's Restaurant when it was a hole in the wall in Oak Cliff section of Dallas. I've eaten in their new location as well as one of two others they opened in Dallas and was quite pleased with the food.

Now I see they have a location in downtown Austin as well. If it's as good as Dallas then I recommend this Salvadoran / Tex Mex establishment.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:16 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Other than downtown/6th street, does anyone have recommendations of other neighborhoods to either stay in or explore?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Other than downtown/6th street, does anyone have recommendations of other neighborhoods to either stay in or explore?
Rainey Street is absolutely worth exploring. I love killing an afternoon there, drifting from bar to bar drinking good beer and cocktails, checking out the food trucks that always cluster there, playing some games etc.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Rainey Street is absolutely worth exploring. I love killing an afternoon there, drifting from bar to bar drinking good beer and cocktails, checking out the food trucks that always cluster there, playing some games etc.
I'd consider Rainey downtown. Pretty much anything from the I-35 to the Mopac for about a mile either side of the river. And some goes to the east of the 35.

It really depends what you're looking to do. I'm not sure where you're from to give any comparisons... (I Googled, "Rahmistan," and came up with some Chicago neighborhoods).

The Domain area is nice, but it is basically just an outdoor mall. There are tons of shops, restaurants, and even a few hotels. But it is all chain stuff that you can find in nearly any American suburb.

I actually like downtown Georgetown. It has enough to fill an afternoon, possibly going into dinner and drinks. But there aren't any hotels in walking distance (the Hampton Inn would be a hike, not sure if they have a shuttle/transport).
Similar could be said about downtown Round Rock. Perhaps enough to fill a few hours, but not much more. There are some hotels not too far, you could check on shuttles.
Staying out here would be far less than staying in downtown Austin, but you'd definitely need a car.

You could go out near the lakes. Travis is the closest, and there are some restaurants and things nearby. But by far I really liked Marble Falls. Seemed more manageable, with a downtown area.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:36 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Thanks all. We ended up staying at the Hilton downtown, which was perfect as it was walking distance to East 6th, Rainey street, the Capitol, and SoCo.
We also visited Barton Springs and went out one night in Zilker. We used the RideAustin app (identical to Uber) to get around when not walking.
Great first trip to Austin!

(And yes, Rahmistan is Chicago - a reference to Mayor Rahm Emanuel)
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist
I know (but still can't believe) no uber or lyft in Austin. Do I need to rent a car for a 4 day vacation? Hotel's not set, but will be downtown. 4s-fine points, Hyatt Regency-points+cash, Hilton- points or pay are my tops, but am open for other ideas. Plan is relaxation and bar hopping, eating good food, etc. We have family there so will see them one day and I'm sure they'll come pick us up if we don't have a car.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:28 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Use RideAustin: http://www.rideaustin.com/

Exactly the same as Uber/Lyft.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I enjoyed a blowout dinner at Truluck's with freshly flown in stone crab claws (the medium to large seemed more flavorful than the larger ones) and Alaska king crab legs. Ouchy expensive, a couple of the servers can be pretentious, but oh my, what a sea feast we had.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:38 am

Use RideAustin: http://www.rideaustin.com/

Exactly the same as Uber/Lyft.
RideAustin is one. A couple others are Fasten and Fare.

You can use RideGuru to see which rideshare would be cheapest for you.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:22 pm

Uber and Lyft officially resumed services in Austin on Memorial Day, May 29th, 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.