Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

IAH / Houston Bush Intercontinental: luggage issues

Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

IAH / Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport:
Baggage / Luggage Storage, Assistance, Issues, etc. (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

IAH / Houston Bush Intercontinental: luggage issues

Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by Indelaware
No, one cannot leave baggage at the UC -- or any other airline club.

Moreover, for security reasons all storage lockers were removed many years ago from US airports.

Your best bet would be to inquire of nearby hotels - especially, the on-airport Marriott, if you may store your bag with them. Phone the hotel and ask to speak with the "Bell Captain."

When you telephone, do not use the term "left luggage" as generally only Americans who have traveled to Europe would know it. Rather inquire about "bag storage." It would also be best not to say that you wish to leave a lap top - it will give the hotel fears of liability - just a bag; moreover, it would probably be best to have a back pack or some other non-laptop looking bag to keep it in.

How long will you be in Houston? There is a baggage storage facility at the train station. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten..._Page&code=HOS

Note some of the former CO Presidents Clubs, especially EWR the Club next to Starbucks have lockers and you can store bags there for the same day. I have done it many times.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Air Canada
Houston Airport Baggage Assistance FAQ

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but I just had a quick question.

My girlfriend is traveling to Vancouver, through Houston, from Cayman tomorrow. She has 3 very large heavy bags of luggage that she can't possibly carry by herself (and unfortunately I can't be there).

In the Houston Airport, I believe she will have to clear US Customs, get her bags and recheck them.

Is there a service that can be arranged to assist her with this and if so, how do I go about arranging that? Essentially a porter service between arriving International baggage to Departing International check-in.

I don't think there is an option to check the bags all the way through but please correct me if I am wrong! She is traveling Business Class on United.

Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Dan
Old May 29, 2015, 11:51 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread as I move it to the FT Texas Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 29, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Air Canada
Obscure2k,

This looks like a fairly inactive forum.

Is there a more active forum that it can be placed in please?

Thank you,
Dan
Old May 29, 2015, 10:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, there are no porter services available before / during USCBP / U. S. Customs; they even prohibit cell phone use.

How heavy are the bags? Many airlines limit baggage to 23 kg / 50 lb, and may not at all slow baggage over 32 kg / 70 lb at all.

What she can do:

She'll arrive and process through immigration procedures first. As she proceeds into the baggage retrieval area, get a free cart or use a credit card to get a baggage cart, then proceed to the indicated carousel.

There, it's possible there will be a representative who can help. These people, cleared to work in that area, are often there to intercept bags belonging to crew, etc.

Once the bags are on the cart, she pushes the cart to the Customs exit, turns her previously filled out U.S. Customs and Border Protection Declaration Form 6059B, and proceeds to the baggage check facility just outside US Customs. Personnel there will handle the bags.

I hope she has lots of time to connect; IAH can have long queues and chaotic processing, according to passengers. After processing l side, she will have to make her way to the UA terminal and process TSA security.

Link to IAH website page with maps, etc.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 10, 2015 at 10:34 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:22 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
FWIW I saw people with carts yesterday passing through, I thought I saw a porter or two as well
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At many CBP facilities, airport carts are free and can be taken as far as necessary in the airport. A few charge for the cart, as is done outside of the customs area.

Note that the bags will be "checked through", meaning that they will be tagged to the final destination, but arriving international passengers into the USA must always (exceptions for pre clearance originating flights and a rare airport that might have an expedited international transfer path) pick up the bags in the baggage claim just after immigration and walk the luggage through customs.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IceJoLT
Obscure2k,

This looks like a fairly inactive forum.

Is there a more active forum that it can be placed in please?

Thank you,
Dan
Not all that active, but as you see above, there are dedicated few who jump in to help ^

And with your very specific IAH question, no, there isn't a better forum to move to.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that the bags will be "checked through", meaning that they will be tagged to the final destination,
Will bags be checked through even with 12 hrs connect time. Since storage is not available, checking to the final destination might be the solution. Landing early morning, departing late afternoon.

Or how early can I check in before the flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.