Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Dallas Fort Worth

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Traveling to Dallas Fort Worth

Hi I am planning a trip to Dallas end of Oct. First time there. Need some help of choosing a hotel since I am not planning to rent a car. I am think one of the three hotels: Fairmont, Omni Dallas (by the convention Centre) and Westin Galleria.
I understand that Fairmont and Omni are both in downtown so it is convenient. Westin Galleria is within a big mall so it is a big benefit. Just not sure whether is it in the middle of nowhere but just the mall ? How easy to get around if I stay in Westin Galleria ?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I believe there is a DART train station near the convention center.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
The Westin Galleria would be just west of 635 & Dallas North Tollway in the map below. In addition to the major construction of 635 in that area, there is no DART station nearby.

http://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT100
Travelling to Dallas Forth Worth

How long will you be here? Where will you be going? Starwood guy?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've stayed at that Fairmont and it's a great property with excellent staff.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG

Love the Fairmont! Get a top floor, awesome floor to ceiling windows, especially at night!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
The omni is supposed to be a fabulous hotel and it's convenient to downtown. The Westin will it be good for getting around at all.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Texas Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrassMonkehy
How long will you be here? Where will you be going? Starwood guy?
I am only staying for 4 days. I prefer the Fairmont but it is sold out on that weekend. Only reason I am considering Westin Gallaria is because it is next to the mall but at the same time don't want to feel like I am in the suburb and spend lot of time in traffic since I am not driving
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:37 pm

What are you planning on doing in Dallas? I would rent a car for sure (I live here) and you can't get around without one.

The Omni is nice, but downtown is not a place I like to be ever, and definetley not at night. The Westin in the Galleria will put you closer to Addison, which has a lot of restaurants in a small area, but again, you'd need to drive there.

Rent a car and save yourself A LOT of time and cab fare.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT100

Yeah. Rent a car. I live there too.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'll agree that a car is a good idea, but if OP is unable to rent one or uncomfortable driving here, it can still work. I'd suggest downtown or uptown (the area just north of downtown). Definitely not the Galleria. Depending where you're going DART trains can be decent, and UberX is a reliable option that is a bit cheaper than taxis.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
As the others have said you're going to have to rent a car or use uber/lyft/taxi quite a bit as public transit is nonexistent here. You might be able to get away with no car at the fairmont because it is in a walkable neighborhood. The Galleria is meh. I can't speak to the Omni.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:59 am

Yes i am also lives there, need Rent a car.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I am only staying for 4 days. I prefer the Fairmont but it is sold out on that weekend. Only reason I am considering Westin Gallaria is because it is next to the mall but at the same time don't want to feel like I am in the suburb and spend lot of time in traffic since I am not driving
The Galleria area is a faded big-money high-rise office area where the money used to really roar before the money moved farther north to something newer and now roars up there. The Galleria itself is a past its prime boutique mall that has some really eclectic places to shop and some great places to it if money is no problem. Not what it was 10 or 15 years ago and I think you could more than wear it out in four days. Still it is quite interesting in a have-money-to-spend way. Whether the drive is worth it is a personal question. I would call it far more urban than suburban even though it's miles from downtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.