Reload this Page >

Weird & Wacky Attractions in Dallas

Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

A friend of mine is going to Texas for work and has a free weekend around the Dallas area. He wants to do something weird or offbeat.

He likes cars, planes, military history, cowboys, food eating contests aka man v food, vintage roadside diners. The stupider the better I think.

Does anyone have any ideas of what he might see or do.

Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Easy answer, go to Austin! 3 hour drive or catch a cheap Southwest fare.

If he has to stay in Dallas, Deep Ellum might be a place to go. Also, Frontiers of Flight museum near Lovefield airport is a cool place to hang out.

Last edited by longhorn11; Jun 2, 2014 at 8:29 am
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Stupid to him, is likely everyday stuff for us.

What date?

On June 15 I am going to watch a friend of mine do some cowboy style shooting. This is part of the Single Action Shooting Society type of activities. I have not been to this group's functions before. I think it is a smaller group. With the heat, they may not dress up in the old style cowboy clothing that weekend.

Along those lines he could go to a local indoor gun range and blast off a few rounds. Then again, he could just visit one of my neighbors as they practice just about every weekend, if not during the week. I am not quite sure who they think war is going to breakout with.

If he wants to mix shooting with horses, what could be more cowboy, I have another friend who does mounted shooting events such as the Mounted Shooters of America type stuff. I think they are popping numerous caps in Stephenville the same weekend.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:47 am

If launching bullets through the air is not his thing, how about a genuine country rodeo. The Cleburne rodeo is June 11, 12, 13, and 14. You will indeed see real live cowboys, good ol boys, horses, and gigantic pickup trucks. It is put on by the sheriffs posse. They will be directing the parking of cars on horse back. You cannot get anymore country than this. http://www.sheriffsposse.com/ I was just on a trail ride with the sheriff. He looks and acts the part very well.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:50 am

For cowboy stuff, the Mesquite Rodeo or Fort Worth Stockyards
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:38 pm

I do hope I didn't scare off our visitor.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
I do hope I didn't scare off our visitor.
I was scared and I live here part time!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Hi folks... sorry I haven't been back here. I've seen a lot of Texas Man V Food tv shows and I am nervous of your 25 pound ribs and 3 pound pecan pie!!!

He'll be there from July 14th.

He's found the barbwire museum which tickled his fancy.

I'll get him to google the rodeo names.

Thanks folks...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.