Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas traffic

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Dallas traffic

I am going to be in Dallas for a wedding. It will be near desoto in the southern suburbs. The closest full service marriotts are north of downtown. How bad is traffic in Dallas? I live in Chicago and view Chicago traffic as abysmal.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by steve4031
I am going to be in Dallas for a wedding. It will be near desoto in the southern suburbs. The closest full service marriotts are north of downtown. How bad is traffic in Dallas? I live in Chicago and view Chicago traffic as abysmal.
I would say it's the same, I used to be in Chicago for weeks at a time a few years ago.

What's going to hurt you is going through downtown each time, as that can always be a headache. The weekends will be ok, but weekend traffic can and will change at a moments notice. Which Marriott are you considering? I35 going into downtown can be a total clown show at any given point, just be aware of your surroundings. There really are no traffic laws in Dallas proper, no turn signals, speeding, aggressive tailgating, etc. There are not enough cops to patrol all of the highways and side streets.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

That's what I thought. The ride through downtown would be unpredictable. I don't have particular full service in mind. My friend who is getting married can get us employees rates. If I can get a full service I would prefer that over a cy or fi. The towneplace suites in desoto looks so so on trip advisor. Plus restaurant selection on yelp was so so. How is the drive from dfw to desoto if I avoid 35?
Old May 21, 2014, 3:27 pm

If you don't mind paying tolls, you can take Bush (161) to I20 over to DeSoto. If you don't want to do tolls, 360, which has it's own issues, and 183 to Loop 12 to I20 can be another option. I think Bush will be your best option as it has the least amount of traffic that far south. Going back and forth to DFW from DeSoto will take you 45 min to an hour sometimes without traffic.

Maybe try Irving? That is east of DFW and would give you a small head start to DeSoto. You could always stay north and just try to time yourself appropriately. North of downtown is like a totally new city from the south side, much better restaurants, scenery, etc.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Ok. Thx. I'll focus on Irving. What is the driving time from Irving to desoto worst case scenario? What is desoto like?
Old May 21, 2014, 6:57 pm

Ok. Thx. I'll focus on Irving. What is the driving time from Irving to desoto worst case scenario? What is desoto like?
Irving to DeSoto absolute worst case scenario could be an hour or more, without traffic probably less than half an hour. Really any place north to DeSoto worst case will be an hour or more. There is a Marriott on the east side of downtown I believe, I've never stayed there though.

DeSoto itself is ok, it's one of the nicer southern suburbs. Nothing special. No offense to anyone on here that lives in DeSoto or near DeSoto.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Longhorn, thanks for the information. The trade off is location versus hotel amenities. Your information will help me make an informed decision. I was liking the rates at the marriott by marketplace. This may be the first choice.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:29 pm

Sure thing. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Old May 26, 2014, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
The trade off is location versus hotel amenities. Your information will help me make an informed decision. I was liking the rates at the marriott by marketplace. This may be the first choice.
The traffic on I-35 will be horrible, especially during rush hour

There's fairly new, and very nice Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas South at 1310 E Wintergreen Rd DeSoto, TX 75115 (Right on I-35).

I stayed there about 5 years ago when I was still traveling for work, and I was quite impressed. Nicest HIE I ever stayed in, and much nicer than most HI.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:01 am

Thanks longhorn11 for your brief explanation....
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:19 pm

I think chicago traffic is better than Dallas traffic.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Although you could get tangled in traffic at any time, south traffic flows into downtown in the mornings and out int the afternoons. If you avoid these times, you're probably looking at 10-15 minute delays maximum most of the time. Unless you're doing other things in the downtown area, I'd just stay closer to DeSoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.