Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best BBQ /Barbecue in or near DFW?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Best BBQ /Barbecue in or near DFW?

Got a 3.5 hour layover in DFW coming up. I was thinking to pass some of the time having brisket.

Looks like we have some choices: Railhead, Cousins, or Dickeys. We have a Dickeys here in CA, and I've been to Dickeys both here and in TX, so it'd have to be either Railhead or Cousins.

Any advice you care to offer would be appreciated.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Both are really good. I would have a hard time selecting between the two. Go to the one that is easiest to get to.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Cousins.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Reviews here, 3 years old but worth a read.
http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2011/03/...rport-bbq.html
Old May 21, 2014, 4:49 pm

There's a Salt Lick in DFW now.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MissJ
There's a Salt Lick in DFW now.
Should be a "Salt Lick" in DFW now.

It's nothing like the real thing in Austin.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
With 3.5 hours you could leave the airport, go to Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell (http://www.hardeightbbq.com/locations.html), and get back to DFW with time to spare.

Hard Eight is not the best BBQ in town but it is far better than any BBQ to be found inside the airport.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Well, we tried Cousins in terminal D. The brisket was not good, but the pulled pork was decent and my son and I both liked the sauce. Of course, good BBQ probably doesn't need sauce, but I'm sure you-all know that better than we do. Anyway, I'll never go back to that place again, but thanks to all those who took the time to reply/advise.
Old May 26, 2014, 5:27 am

Unfortunate. Cousins in general is always very good. The one not far from me is always consistent. Indeed if I were buying BBQ today, other than driving a ways to Sammies back in the old neighborhood, Cousins would be the place I would go.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Well, we tried Cousins in terminal D. The brisket was not good, but the pulled pork was decent and my son and I both liked the sauce. Of course, good BBQ probably doesn't need sauce, but I'm sure you-all know that better than we do. Anyway, I'll never go back to that place again, but thanks to all those who took the time to reply/advise.
Unfortunately any airport BBQ is more than likely going to suck. I don't really like the Cantina Laredo in Terminal D either, but the food is ok. If you have time the next time through, go to an actual location (of any bbq restaurant) outside of the airport.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:28 am

I agree an airport restaurant is an airport restaurant. However, in the case of BBQ there is no inherent reason it should not be as good as that in the outside world. BBQ is cooked ahead of time, and then reheated in each case.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
I agree an airport restaurant is an airport restaurant. However, in the case of BBQ there is no inherent reason it should not be as good as that in the outside world. BBQ is cooked ahead of time, and then reheated in each case.
It is at least cooked onsite at most restaurants, it isn't in airports. Therefore, I would have to assume the way it is reheated at the airport makes quite a difference in the way it would taste.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:09 am

Could not say for sure. Based on my experience taking stuff in the backdoor of Sammies BBQ in the old neighborhood to be smoked as a kid, helping cook BBQ on trail rides, and observing how briskets are stored and handled in restaurants in looks to me like the process is as follows:

It is cooked for numerous hours over wood in a brick structure which may or may not be anywhere near where it is going to be served.

It is transported over distances from feet to miles to where it will be served.

It is wrapped in plastic wrap somewhere along the line.

It is stored in a unit that keeps it heated to a safe temperature.

It is removed from said storage unit, unwrapped, and set down ready to be cut.

I conclude from this that the distance from where it is cooked to where it is served is unimportant. Therefore, BBQ served in an airport should be exactly the same as that served at a restaurant where the cooking structure is just out back. YBBQMV.

Gosh I am really hungry now.

Last edited by Paint Horse; May 31, 2014 at 3:17 pm
Old May 26, 2014, 12:50 pm

That sounds reasonable for actual restaurants (you obviously know your stuff ), but for airports, I believe they have it frozen and then reheated before serving to customers. It would not shock me in the slightest if it somehow gets microwaved at some point.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:37 am
Original Poster

The brisket they served had about 3/16" of smoke cap, but no bark, and it was tough, and appeared to be very undercooked. Were it not for the sauce they served, I would have passed on eating it. No worries, we survived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.