Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Best Wedding night hotel in San Antonio?

Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

Ok, I have to admit that I grew up in San Antonio, but I now live in the Seattle area. I still have family in SA but they're not terribly familiar with the hotels there. So,I need some help here...

An old friend is getting married back in SA and is asking me for recommendations on which hotel to stay at their wedding night. They don't want a super high price hotel but are ok with splurging a bit (no $400/night rooms though). His fiance figures they're only going to be in the room from after the wedding (late night) until early morning next day when they have their brunch for out of town guests so she's not really looking for something super fancy, just probably a bit nicer than normal. And they're saving up to splurge more on their Bali honeymoon (I've already put them in touch with a virtuoso travel agent and made splurge recommendations for them in Bali based on other FT trip reports).

So far I've suggested the Westin Riverwalk and Hotel Valencia. Any others that folks here can recommend? I stayed at the Marriott Rivercenter recently and liked it, but it didn't seem all that worth what the rates are for their dates. I see Hotel Contessa is ranked #3 on TripAdvisor, is that a fair rating for it?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Downtown?

From the places you mention sounds like they want to stay in the downtown area, so the places you suggest would work. The Contessa is a good option - IMO, better than the wannabe trendy and over rated Valencia. There is also a new Grand Hyatt that gets decent reviews though I have not stayed there myself.
What about the Fairmount? or Emily Morgan?. Smaller, less touristy but still decent.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
The other options are the Hyatt Hill Country or the JW Marriott. Both are on the Northern side of town and not remotely close to the Riverwalk which might be perfect or terrible
Old May 28, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
What about Omni's La Mansin del Ro? That hotel at least has some historical character and charm to it. Have only stayed there once but I liked it. The older wing of the hotel was a school dating back to 1852 and built, of course in Spanish colonial style.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Second a stay at La Mansion.......lovely historical hotel right on the river
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
The one you get the most 'action' at!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.