Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW immigration wait time 2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
Im flying through DFW tomorrow and simply curious about the time it can take for Immigration here.

I mostly use ORD which is often appalling in terms of queues and length of time; Ive missed connections here before.

thank you.
For what it is worth, prior to getting global entry, every time I flew through DFW the immigration queues were nonexistent. Sailed through.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: MUCCI
Hi there,
My experience was bad but akin to other major US gateways....
If you get there when all the European International Flights arrive (ie mid afternoon) bank on 2 hours worth of queues....
FD.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:07 am

Best: 30 mins from plane door to taxi
Worst: 3hrs 20 for the same
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:30 am

As with anywhere, it will vary. For what it's worth the only time I've ever used DFW it was very quick.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Did it 2 weeks ago; if you have been to uS before in recent years and they have your photo and fingerprint stored, you can use the automated desks , took 2 mins. A pleasant breeze
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:55 am

3 days ago off AA49 - plane to curbside in 31 minutes. Not too bad at all.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SPG Platinum; Avis President's Club

Entering the U.S. through DFW has gotten significantly worse for me since the recent changes to increase the number of queues and differentiate incoming passengers more specifically - I enter under a work visa, so have to join the line for all the countries that don't have visa waiver privileges, even though I come from a visa waiver country... This is unsurprisingly the slowest moving line.

Used to be 10-15 mins (and sometimes less) coming off BA193, but am now frequently hitting an hour or more.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I'll be arriving on BA193 into DFW at 1445 on Monday 22nd December, connecting to AA2463 to LAX, departing at 1635 from Terminal A.

I'm hand-luggage only, UK citizen but let's just say likely to be profiled for secondary questioning at immigration and SSSS at the TSA check on returning airside. Judging by past experiences.

What are my chances of making this connection? Slim? As an ESTA arrival I believe I'm eligible to use the new automated gates at immigration. Do these typically have shorter lines?

It gets better. I then have a 50 min connection at LAX onto the last AA HNL flight of the day. I know, I'm a genius...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Teefaf
I'll be arriving on BA193 into DFW at 1445 on Monday 22nd December, connecting to AA2463 to LAX, departing at 1635 from Terminal A.

I'm hand-luggage only, UK citizen but let's just say likely to be profiled for secondary questioning at immigration and SSSS at the TSA check on returning airside. Judging by past experiences.

What are my chances of making this connection? Slim? As an ESTA arrival I believe I'm eligible to use the new automated gates at immigration. Do these typically have shorter lines?

It gets better. I then have a 50 min connection at LAX onto the last AA HNL flight of the day. I know, I'm a genius...
I found that there was nobody infront of me at the automatic immigration gates, and walked from aircraft to baggage reclaim in about 10 minutes.

As for the LAX connection, Ive no idea on that one.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I found that there was nobody infront of me at the automatic immigration gates, and walked from aircraft to baggage reclaim in about 10 minutes.

As for the LAX connection, Ive no idea on that one.
Hi mclachlan4321. Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my query and sharing your experience. ^

I've been digging around and it looks like things have been improving lately at DFW, although there's no shortage of people sharing their horror stories about wait times, either!

I'll be going hand-baggage only, and can therefore use the new one-stop 'Carry E-Z' desks CBP have set up instead. This line should hopefully be shorter, and there'll be no need to queue for customs.

Also, for the benefit of anyone studying this thread, I found this presentation about CBP wait times apparently put together by a DFW official. It claims average waiting times for CBP during the afternoon peak are now 14 minutes... hmm....
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by Teefaf
I'll be going hand-baggage only, and can therefore use the new one-stop 'Carry E-Z' desks CBP have set up instead. This line should hopefully be shorter, and there'll be no need to queue for customs.
I used this recently and breezed through.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:12 am

Hi Teefaf,

I'm in a similar situation for a trip in January, did you manage to make the connection at DFW?

I was planning on having checked bags but the lines downstairs can be pretty lengthy.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:26 pm

Hi andymac7, thank you for prompting me to come back to update the thread. I had been meaning to do so but had never quite gotten around to it.

The short answer is a very sweaty and slightly out of breath, yes.

The longer answer is below if anyone's interested:

I had 1hr 50mins to complete the transfer - on paper. So as you know, I was already nervous. On checking the flight's historic on-time performance I discovered that BA193 is chronically late, so I got even more nervous. Bear in mind the tales on the internet from summer '14 were of 2 - 4 hour waits at CBP.

My own flight landed a full hour late, giving me just 50 minutes to enter the USA, clear security and connect. I was almost resigned to missing the flight but decided to give it a go when they announced on the plane that anyone with a connecting flight within the MCT (I think its 1hr 25mins?) would be met by OW agents at the gate. So I made sure I was lined up to be the first one off the plane (sitting on the UD helps massively with this as the stairs down land right at the exit door).

I walked briskly through the gate, was handed an orange 'Express Connections' envelope containing my onward boarding passes by the gate agents (there were a LOT of envelopes there!) and then made my way straight to the massive immigration hall. Probably a 5 minute walk but felt a LOT longer in the circumstances.

Luckily the immigration hall was very quiet, but this was 22nd December so perhaps travel volumes were much lower than normal? I was unclear what to do here, as there are several categories of line and none was clearly marked for 'Express Connections'. I wanted to use the E-Z Carry lane as I was HBO, but the line guardian there saw my orange envelope and said I needed to go to another line. I was sort of waving my envelope around hoping someone would guide me.

I was directed to use a self-service machine, and then by someone else into another line for ESTA holders. I ended up in a queue, so again waved my orange envelope and caught the attention of a lady on the Global Entry line, where the queue was very short. I was directed by her to join that line, with no fuss made. Other orange envelops joined behind me, so I got the impression this was where we were actually supposed to end up.

I waited here for about 5 minutes, and the line guardian there gave me directions for where to go afterwards during my wait. Very fortunately immigration itself was a speedy affair - I'd been braced for worse but I was stamped straight through. Then it was down the escalator to baggage claim, and I waved my orange envelope once again at the exit line guardian who directed me down a side-lane for Express Connections. Two people were ahead of me here and I was out into Departures; up a level and just fifteen minutes from exiting the plane I had arrived at the TSA search area - not bad!

I didn't have checked bags to collect, but I noticed that by the time I'd gotten down to the baggae hall some passengers from my flight were already collecting theirs (must have been US citizens to get through so quickly). And as noted above, if you get an orange envelope you should be directed to a shorter line.

I again brandished my orange envelope at the line guardian (recurring theme here!), who directed me down the First Class line to which I was entitled anyway. A five minute wait to get my boarding pass checked! Luckily the lines from here weren't too long, and I was through within another five minutes. No SSSS this time either - God must have been smiling on me that day!

From here I walked/ran to the gate. This is where I had a doubly happy result to my race from plane-to-plane. My connecting flight had been moved from A gates to D gates, saving me a precious 5 – 10 minutes on the Skytrain. Boarding was well underway by the time I’d reached the gate, but I’d made it! The Priority line was empty so I was swiftly aboard. I was sweaty and dishevelled by the time I found my newly allocated seat, but was then delighted to discover the scheduled 757 had been subbed for a 777-200, and I would be spending the next three and a half hours in AA’s old international F seat.

Total time from plane door to plane door, via immigration, customs, TSA and myriad corridors and concourses? Just 30 minutes. You can tell I’m proud of that by the length of this account of my dash!

I think DFW are clearly aware of the issues with tight I-D connections and the long waits at CBP. The fact that there were so many line guardians, that all were pretty well versed in what to do with the orange envelopes and that there had been so much thought put into expediting tight connections means it’s much less risky than it was probably just a few months ago. I arrived during the afternoon peak period but there were minimal queues. Then again, maybe I just lucked out?

Oh, and in case you’re concerned about my sweatiness, I was able to rectify this on arrival at LAX. Plane door opened at LAX T4 at 1800, and my 1845 connecting flight to HNL was already pre-boarding just two gates over. I stood waiting to board then decided I had time to dash to the AA lounge for a quick shower. By 1820 I was back at the gate fresh as a slightly jetlagged daisy.

All good fun.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:00 am

Hi teefaf

Thanks for coming back and updating the thread it's greatly appreciated. I'll be on the 193 at the end of January and then connecting onto LAS on a separate booking, that leg hasn't been booked yet but I'm looking at the 17.15 or the 18.50.

My gut tells me the 17.15 might be a bit tight especially if I can't get my bag checked through and need to head back up to the check in area at DFW and change terminals if It's an A or C gate departure.

I've also got a 1 hour connection onto the 193 after getting off the flight from GLA so if I miss that connection it'll cause issues.

Hope the HNL trip was good, it's way up my bucket list!

Many thanks,
Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.