Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

DFW - Dallas Ft Worth flight connections

Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
DFW / Dallas - Ft. Worth International Airport Connections (master thread)

Link to DFW airport website

See AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth Int. Airport & MCT / Connection (master thread) (AA hub airport guide in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum for expanded information).

NOTE: DFW Terminal Renewal and Improvement Program (TRIP): DFW is undergoing a fairly extensive terminals refurbishment program, and parts of terminals A, B and E have been under construction/ refurbishment, as are some parking garages, so changes in security screening, etc. are common. See here for further information and updates.

DFW all Terminals , SkyLink and DART Exit Map

Animal Relief Areas: Terminals A, B, C - Lower level grassy areas.
Terminal D - Lower level, outside the D30/D31 Baggage Claim area. Cross the roadway to the parking garage.

DFW is a fairly easy airport to connect though. If you have any difficulty, look around for kiosks / booths staffed by volunteer Ambassadors - they can usually be spotted wearing "ten gallon" cowboy hats.

.. ..
DFW Ambasadors - look for the "Ask Me" button

The skylink train connects all terminals airside (once one has passed through security). Ten minutes between gates is possible, even in different terminals. "Skylink’s bi-directional system connects all five terminals and is the shortest route to your stop while inside security."
  • Free service
  • Trains arrive every two minutes
  • Average ride time of five minutes
  • Maximum ride time of nine minutes between farthest points
  • Easy access to other terminals’ shops and restaurants

Can be boarded or disembarked at:
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D: Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E: Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32
NOTE: If you arrive from an international airport without US Customs and Immigration Pre-Clearance, even if connecting international to international, you will have to process through US Customs and Border Protection Immigration (Global Entry kiosks are available), recover your luggage at the indicated carousel, pass through U S Customs (Global Entry queue, e-passport visa waiver kiosks and express lane for people with GE and carry-on baggage only available), turn your luggage in at the luggage return counters before you exit. Then you will have to process TSA Security again, so you will need your boarding pass and identification.

(Note bottles of duty free liquor larger than 3.4 ounce / 100 ml bottle by volume will be confiscated, UNLESS they are enclosed in a Duty Free STEB (Sealed Tamper Evident Bag) with bottle visible and receipt inside visible or at least at hand as of early 2014.)

If you're not sure what you need to visit the US, use this page for TimaticWeb, which is what your airline probably uses. If you need an ESTA (Electronic System Travel Authorization), see here; ESTA and US Visa Waiver FAQ here. ESTA costs USD $14; you can get it online form the link here, and do not have to pay an intermediary a processing fee (e.g. TraVisa charges $39 for their services plus the $14).

The terminal link system (vans and busses) connect terminals land side (outside security).
  • Free service
  • No ticket or pass of any kind is needed to board
  • Van pick-up between the hours of 5 a.m. and midnight
  • To request van pick-up between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m., call 972 574 LINK (5465)
  • All vans are wheelchair accessible

Two, easy-to-locate green pick-up/drop-off areas are located outside bag claim areas of each terminal. Follow the Terminal Link signs to reach the nearest pick-up/drop-off area:
  • Terminal A: Between A15 and A16 and between A25 and A26
  • Terminal B: Between B12 and B13 and at B23
  • Terminal C: Between C12 and C15 and between C24 and C27
  • Terminal D: At D17 and at D24
  • Terminal E: Between E9 and E13 and between E18 and E21
Lounges:
  • American Airlines Admirals Club - A24, B5, C20, D24. (A24 has the best showers and a small gym.)
  • American Express Centurion - D17
  • British Airways First and Business Lounges - D21
  • Delta Sky Club - E10
  • Korean Air Lounge - D21
  • Lufthansa Lounge - D21
  • Priority Pass - D21 (The Club at DFW)
  • Qantas Lounge - D21
  • Qatar Lounge - D21
  • The Club at DFW - D21
  • The United Club - E7
On Airport Hotels (outside of security)
  • Hyatt Regency - Adjacent to Terminal C
  • Grand Hyatt - Terminal D
  • Minute Suites (hourly rental private microsuites) - D23 (Link) (coming to Terminal A)

Many nearby hotels offer free van transportation to / from DFW.

(Don't forget to ask for a "distressed traveler rate" if you are stuck at DFW because you missed your connection, your flight was cancelled, etc. You can get a distressed traveler voucher from your airline, but you can often get it from a hotel if you cal land can present proof of delay, etc. upon check-in.)

Link to Terminals/Connections page

Link to Connections Guide downloadable PDF

Link to Terminals and Amenities page 1 (links to terminals guides)

Link to DFW Flight Information page

Link to main DFW International Airport website.

FT thread: DART light rail to downtown opens station at DFW 8 Aug 2014 thread link

FT thread: DFW has modified two gates at Terminal D to accept the A380; I took QF A380 to SYD Nov 2014. thread link.

FT thread: Thieves targeting cars parked at DFW thread link.

Updated March 2016, JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

DFW - Dallas Ft Worth flight connections

Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Morning! Any experiences recently of arriving at DFW internationally and onwards internal (all AA) and is 1.25 hours enough at 14.20hrs ??
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
No need to exit security. Check in online or at an airside kiosk. The airside train connects ask terminals.

With that long a layover I'd also consider omitting the Waco segment and just driving. With a 5:35 arrival, you could get to the rental cars by 6:30 and be in Waco by 8:30.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Morning! Any experiences recently of arriving at DFW internationally and onwards internal (all AA) and is 1.25 hours enough at 14.20hrs ??
Will you have checked bags? Do you have global entry?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, WN Comp Pass, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

You should be fine. The only issue here is getting out of customs, and getting your checked bag, which can take a while at Terminal D.

When I come in from wherever into D, (I live here in DFW), it takes me about 30 minutes total to get out. I have had it as bad as 1 hour if the line is really long and global entry is closed on the other side of the baggage claim.

AA will pick you off at the gate when you come in though so you are expedited through. Just look for the big orange stickers and a gate agent when you get off the plane.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Also, are you a USN, traveling on an ESTA, visa? Any immigration issues? Checked luggage, GE?
All of these are major variables in processing time.

Lastly, what is Plan B? If you misconnect, when is the next flight? If it's a 6-hour wait, that's unpleasant, if it's 1-hour, do you really care?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by swag
Since YYZ is outside the USA, that flight will depart from terminal D.
Not necessarily. I have taken YYZ bound flights from the last few gates of terminal C on a couple of occasions. These get dubbed the default Canada gates (as told to me by a GA - usually cause a minor headache with the duty free guy taking forever to get there at door closing).

Case in point - this afternoon's flight is departing C27. I have actually taken more flights to YYZ from gate C than gate D.

Either ways, as others have mentioned, 50 minutes still should be plenty.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by damaya
I'm looking at an American Airlines flight from LAS with a connection at DFW to the final destination of YYZ.

50 minutes seems short, but I've never been to DFW, so have no experience with American Airlines at this airport.
This is the definitive thread for American Airlines passengers connecting at DFW:
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, and HHonors
DFW Connection

Is 40 minutes enough time to get to terminal B for an Eagle Flight? The arriving flight arrives at 9:20pm. The next flight leaves at 10pm which is the last flight out where I am going too. Is there any chance that if I ask American if they can delay the 10pm flight in order to make the connecting flight?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xxwerftxx
Is 40 minutes enough time to get to terminal B for an Eagle Flight? The arriving flight arrives at 9:20pm. The next flight leaves at 10pm which is the last flight out where I am going too. Is there any chance that if I ask American if they can delay the 10pm flight in order to make the connecting flight?
40 minutes is sufficient, if your inbound is on time. If you are delayed, maybe not.

If you arrive late, you can ask the agent at the arrival gate to let the departure gate know you're on the way, but I wouldn't expect them to hold the flight. Just this past Sunday at DFW, I watched a late-connecting passenger coming in from London arrive at the gate for the last flight of the night to STL 8 minutes before scheduled departure. Despite the jet bridge still being attached, they didn't re-open the door.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If I had any choice at all, I would never book less than a 90 minute connection at DFW. But then I'm risk-averse.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by swag
40 minutes is sufficient, if your inbound is on time. If you are delayed, maybe not.

If you arrive late, you can ask the agent at the arrival gate to let the departure gate know you're on the way, but I wouldn't expect them to hold the flight. Just this past Sunday at DFW, I watched a late-connecting passenger coming in from London arrive at the gate for the last flight of the night to STL 8 minutes before scheduled departure. Despite the jet bridge still being attached, they didn't re-open the door.
With that being said I will book onto the earlier inbound flight so I will have enough time to get the connecting flight. I don't want to take any risks
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by xxwerftxx
I don't want to take any risks
In that case you made the right call.

I book 40 minute connections at IAH (yes, yes, not DFW) all the time knowing full well that I could be flying on the next flight and spend some quality time inside the airport.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Holding flights whilst waiting for connecting bags

I had a tight connection at DFW today due to my inbound flight being late. From gate arrival of inbound flight to advertised departure of outbound flight was just over 20 minutes and I was connecting onto the last flight home that night.

I got on the plane 14 minutes prior to advertised departure (after a lot of running). Another couple of people got there a few minutes later.

The door was closed several minutes prior to the departure time but we pushed back 2 minutes late. I was looking out the window and saw the countdown display counting down the minutes then at departure time it said HOLD. A little later a pick-up truck arrived, the connecting bags were loaded, the display went to -2 and we left.

I've noticed flights being held for connecting passengers but had never noticed them being held for connecting bags before. Kudos to AA for this. Is it common at DFW?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ChrL
I had a tight connection at DFW today due to my inbound flight being late. From gate arrival of inbound flight to advertised departure of outbound flight was just over 20 minutes and I was connecting onto the last flight home that night.

I got on the plane 14 minutes prior to advertised departure (after a lot of running). Another couple of people got there a few minutes later.

The door was closed several minutes prior to the departure time but we pushed back 2 minutes late. I was looking out the window and saw the countdown display counting down the minutes then at departure time it said HOLD. A little later a pick-up truck arrived, the connecting bags were loaded, the display went to -2 and we left.

I've noticed flights being held for connecting passengers but had never noticed them being held for connecting bags before. Kudos to AA for this. Is it common at DFW?
I had a connecting flight into DFW going to Waco,TX which is about a 20 minute flight total. My flight to DFW was delayed due to mechanic problems. It was arriving from DFW to my destination to take me to DFW. So i got re booked to a later flight and that flight ran on time. And i got re booked onto a later flight to Waco. As soon as i got off the plane in DFW I hauled to terminal B to catch the Eagle flight that i was originally booked for. Got put on standby for that flight and they said my bags would be out on the next flight to Waco which only has like 5 flights a day.they may hold for other passengers but it really depends on how nice the crew is and if there running on time or not.
Old May 21, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Hi, quick question. I am flying BA into DFW and connecting to Canada on a BA codeshare on AA.

It is not clear to me what this means (not is there anything on my BA manage my Booking) in terms of connections, so do I still need to enter the USA and collect my bags and check in again?

I am concerned because (though I have 1 hour 50 mins between flights, there are stories in the BBC News about very long delays due to lack of TSA staff.

Any insights/help much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.