Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Dallas For a Day and Night

Dallas For a Day and Night

Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
There is the Mesquite Rodeo on the eastside of Dallas or the one at the Stock Yards in Fort Worth.

http://www.mesquiterodeo.com/

http://stockyardsrodeo.com/

The contestants in both rodeos are part timers for the most part.

The Mesquite Rodeo is easier to find as it is right on the 635 loop.
Mesquite is closer to downtown Dallas than the Stockyards (20 minutes vs 50), but the Mesquite rodeo is in a pretty blah part of the suburbs. If you go to the Stockyards instead, you could hang out before and/or after in downtown Ft Worth / Sundance Square, which offers a bunch of interesting restaurants and cool bars.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I agree that the Stock Yards is more interesting, but with the location, distance from Dallas, and all of the road construction along I35W, unless you know the area it is a little tricky to get to these days.

From downtown Dallas the easiest right now is probably I30 to one of the north south streets that will take you through downtown Fort Worth to the Main Street bridge behind the courthouse, then straight down Main Street to the Stock Yards. I do not know what the westbound I30 signs say about exiting to downtown Fort Worth coming from Dallas. If you can navigate to Commerce that would be the most straight forward way through downtown to the courthouse. You could come to Fort Worth early and stop by Sundance Square, which you would drive by, for dinner. This route will also take you right past my favorite Mexican food restaurant, El Rancho Grande, which is on the northeast corner of Main and Central Avenue. In the Stock Yards is the Lonesome Dove Western Bistro.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:50 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 466SHH
JusT an update to my January 2014 post. No need to mess with the TRE anymore. The DFW DART station (Orange Line) was completed some months ago and you can now pick up the light rail outside Terminal A.
Actually completed about a year ago, five or six months ahead of shcedule, unheard of here in slowest construction city in the world

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Trains are air conditioned but the stations are outside, so the wait (generally under 20 minutes) is not. I've taken it myself a couple of times now and it is very convenient. And the fare is $2.50 each way.
Orange Line runs every 20 unless late at in evening or at very early and late hours.

Most of the time there is a train waiting (at least IME), so it's not too bad. But yes, with temperatures expected to reach 100 degrees today it can be uncofortable if train isn't waiting.

And due to (probably poor construction) train often runs at speeds of 20-25 MPH in certain part, plus with the addition of a longish detour it uncessarily takes a full hour to get downtown. Starts out pretty fast, but slows down after Beltline and picks up speed after University of Dallas.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3*G, GE
Wow! So many helpful answers thank you!

I think I will be looking for a place in uptown. McKinney Ave sounds up my alley - or even Ft. Worth.
Probably will skip the shopping exchange rate less than favourable at the moment and dont really need anything. Sounds like theres tons of more interesting stuff to do.

Originally Posted by longhorn11
It really depends on what you want to see, Dallas is much more cosmopolitan as opposed to Ft. Worth which is more traditional. There are more out of the way, touristy "Texan" things in and around Ft. Worth compared to Dallas which is like any other big city.

Downtown and Uptown Dallas both have great restaurants, bars, etc. The downtown arts district is nice as well as the McKinney Ave. area in uptown. The new Perot Museum might be something to check out as well.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
Can't help on rodeos, as I've never had the desire to go to one. I'd go with Paint Horse's recommendations.
Hahaha. Ive only been to one and this was years ago in Chile I understand these are very different than US rodeos. Certainly not top of my list of things to do but my friend apparently had this on her bucket list. Itll definitely be something different so I am just going with it.

My friend had suggested the stockyards so I am glad that this seems to be the better place of the two. Deciding between two types of seats can you only drink in the VIP area? While I wouldnt mind a drink, Id like to be sitting very close to the action. Plenty of time for drinks before and after. Which type seat would you pick for the best experience?
Box Seats are the first 2 rows of reserved seats around the arena.
VIP Seats are located up stairs in the Bar, over looking the arena.

I will see if my friend is up for Mexican food that night as I am not too sure of the quality of the on-location places. That BBQ dinner sounded awesome, too, but we are hardly a group of 20 and then group catering is not always great.

And thanks for the heads up on the heat I dont mind I will probably enjoy it.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
If western/rodeo is what you're looking for, you should definitely do the stockyards in Fort Worth, and I would suggesting looking into staying in Fort Worth. Lots to do in downtown Fort Worth with Sundance Square, Bass Performance Hall, The Kimbell Art Museum, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:27 pm

At the rodeo you definitely want to be as close to the action as possible. One of the joys of rodeo attendance is ducking the dirt clods, especially when the barrel racers fly by. If the bulls bounce off of the fence in front of you watch out for the discharge from the nose and the other end as it slings around trying to dislodge the cowboy.

For Mexican food I highly recommend El Rancho Grande. If you drive from Dallas to Fort Worth using I30, and then through downtown Fort Worth up to the Stock Yards you will drive right by it. My wife and I have been eating there for over 40 years.

If you prefer BBQ, Risckys is right across the street from the rodeo.

http://www.risckys.com/locations-bbq-stockyards.php

I do not know if Jimmy Riscky still owns it. Someone told me he had sold it. The Risckys lived a few blocks from me when I was a kid in Fort Worth. The last time I was there the food was quite good.

Y'all drop by Fort Worth. It is the Texasmost and certainly where the west begins.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
If western/rodeo is what you're looking for, you should definitely do the stockyards in Fort Worth, and I would suggesting looking into staying in Fort Worth. Lots to do in downtown Fort Worth with Sundance Square, Bass Performance Hall, The Kimbell Art Museum, etc.
This is a good idea. Just let those Yankees in Dallas be. Most of them do not even know Dallas is in Texas. When my California Yankee brother used to drop by for a consulting job he had in town he used to stay at the Ashton.

http://www.theashtonhotel.com/

It is right in the middle of the action in downtown Fort Worth. I am sure with the heat the number of folks wandering around downtown will be reduced, but usually downtown Fort Worth is pretty active.

I do wonder about my ancestors. I sure am glad they moved to Texas. The story is they moved down here after the War of Northern Aggression. However, I still wonder why they didn't check the Weather Channel first? Did they not know how hot it can be. We are having a somewhat cool summer this year, but the other day I looked at the thermometer in the horse barn as I was working on something. It said 107 F.

Last edited by Paint Horse; Jul 28, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:18 pm

If you prefer BBQ, Risckys is right across the street from the rodeo.

http://www.risckys.com/locations-bbq-stockyards.php
I've eaten at downtown Risckys and it was very good. Margaritas excellent as well
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:22 pm

Thanks again for all the helpful tips.

With the short time to be spent there, we decided to stay in Fort Worth rather than trying to squeeze Dallas in. My friend who arrived earlier did some of that and I am sure Ill return another time.
It was indeed crazy hot more of a dry heat and quite bearable though compared to Toronto which gets extremely humid and quite tropical in July/August.

Friday night we went out for a couple of beverages on W Magnolia street. Fairly young crowd but still very pleasant. Lots of cute little cafes and restaurants. We stayed on the beautiful bearded lady patio and enjoyed a couple of pints of excellent craft beer and deep fried cactus. I wish I had been hungrier the menu looked excellent with very reasonable prices. Super friendly and knowledgeable server who even offered to have us taste a few different ones so we wouldnt end up with a pint of something we didnt like.

Saturday we went to the Stockyards. They put on quite the Western show lots of horses, cowboys etc. It was mainly families there and targeted towards that audience, but certainly nicely done. Managed to leave without buying boots. At that point we were starving and made our way to el rancho grande. Not the best Mexican Ive ever had, but decent and good margaritas for sure. Excellent service.

Had a quick visit in downtown Fort Worth a complete ghost town but not really a surprise who would stay in the city at 40 degrees on a Saturday afternoon. Dozens of kids were enjoying the fountains and the respective parents having a nice relaxing time sitting and chatting in the shade. That square has a nice set up and I can see the whole area being quite lively during a weeknight.

Saturday night was the rodeo. Yes, very touristy, but quite a spectacular show. We had the 22$ tickets and were in the front row right next to the VIP eats in the centre. Excellent choice as it was really close to the action the booking in advance definitely helped here I think. I was a bit scared for the cowboys with the potential for terrible injuries. The well trained horses were quite impressive I have to say. Went to the Risckys patio unfortunately still stuffed from the epic meal at the rancho so just went for some drinks.
Interesting bar scene, definitely very different. We went to Billy Bobs Honky Tonk (what a name) after which left me a little speechless for a number of reasons. In all fairness, the clubs I hung out in my teens/early twenties were probably not any better. It was certainly an experience.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ontario
who would stay in the city at 40 degrees on a Saturday afternoon.
Glad you had a good time.

And 40 Celsius is 104 F for our American friends
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:31 pm

We are certainly pleased you came to visit. Please come again, as visitors are always welcome. As to your comments on the visit, I say in all jest and good humor how anyone could think that El Rancho Grandes Mexican food is Not the best Mexican Ive ever had needs a taste bud transplant. My wife and I still eat there as we have for over 40 years, despite having to drive 65 km to get there from where we live now. I would also point out that when I asked before a visit to Montreal a few years back what a typical dish was for the area, poutine was suggested. Cheese curds? Really now. People do differ.

I was concerned that the weather would be a bit warm. On the bright side it could easily have been 46 degrees. Then again todays high temperature was 22.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:49 pm

Then again todays high temperature was 22.
One day anomaly

Tomorrow will be above average again, and with the rain we just had humid as well
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Ontario
Thanks again for all the helpful tips.

At that point we were starving and made our way to el rancho grande. Not the best Mexican Ive ever had, but decent and good margaritas for sure. Excellent service.
Glad to hear you had a nice trip. The one thing I'd note for others reading this thread (and for you next time) is try to do Joe T Garcia's instead for Tex Mex. Food will be a bit better at Joe T's, and it's a Fort Worth institution.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Glad to hear you had a nice trip. The one thing I'd note for others reading this thread (and for you next time) is try to do Joe T Garcia's instead for Tex Mex. Food will be a bit better at Joe T's, and it's a Fort Worth institution.
Agreed. Love Joe T.'s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.