Wiki Posts
Search

Considering 3 full days in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Considering 3 full days in Austin

what would you recommend an early 30's guy to do on his own and where to stay? Eating and drinking are some favorite pastimes, but prefer those in the evenings.
Are things open on Sunday nights?

Last edited by theshaun; Jan 3, 2014 at 10:12 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
6th street downtown (west of 35) contains a lot of bars. It's a pretty popular spot. Lots of good restaurants downtown as well.

I've stayed at the 3 DoubleTree properties in the area.

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin is the furthest from downtown. It's a former Marriott property. It's adjacent to Pappasitos and Pappadeux which are some pretty delicious mexican and seafood restaurants. The hotel has a shuttle, although I've never used it.

DoubleTree by Hilton Austin-University Area is closer to downtown, but not really within walking distance. The property itself is pretty miserable. I'd avoid it.

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Austin is downtown. The rooms were nice and staff was pretty friendly. If you're going to be doing a lot downtown, I'd suggest staying here.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
anyone with experience at the Hyatt Place downtown?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The Marriott Courtyard and Fairfield Inn downtown by the convention center are convenient to 6th St.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Eat a lot of BBQ. The East Sixth area (i.e. east of I-35) has a lot of action these days. Be sure to get there and not just the Sixth Street area in downtown.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:25 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by theshaun
what would you recommend an early 30's guy to do on his own and where to stay? Eating and drinking are some favorite pastimes, but prefer those in the evenings.
Are things open on Sunday nights?
I am far from my early 30's - but a trip to Lockhart for Texas BBQ is a must IMO if you're in Austin and like to eat ^. The famous places in Lockhart are pretty much "early" places - at best open for early dinner. So I recommend lunch. Note that since you can order everything "a la carte" (a piece of this and a 1/4 pound of that) - you can "graze" through several restaurants for a single meal (we dined at Kreuz' - Smitty's and Black's). Won't tell you what our favorite was - because I'm sure Texans have fought to the death about their favorite BBQ restaurants .

Austin is famous for its music scene. We went out for "music" a couple of nights during our visit (kind of unusual for us - but it was well worth it). Check out what's going on during your trip - and decide what you want to listen to.

If you're in Austin during "Bat Season" (spring/summer) - a visit to the "bat bridge" at sunset is a must.

We also liked running/walking along the Riverfront.

Finally - although it sounds weird - you have to visit the "downtown" Austin Whole Foods - the "mothership". One of the most amazing US "grocery stores" I've seen. Seems like everyone in the immediate vicinity eats lunch there too. Robyn

P.S. We stayed at the Four Seasons. It was a pretty "tired" property when we were there (about 8 years ago or so). But the location and service were excellent. And perhaps it's been renovated since we stayed there.

Last edited by robyng; Feb 18, 2014 at 3:30 pm
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Any outdoorsy activities near Austin?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Any outdoorsy activities near Austin?
A ton, the whole city lives outdoors on the weekend (and most weekday nights ). I would just do some searching, there are way too many options to have a simple list.

For starters...kayaking down Lady Bird Lake, heading out to Lake Travis, Barton Springs, running/hiking numerous trails, Zilker Park, and many outdoor music events.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by longhorn11
A ton, the whole city lives outdoors on the weekend (and most weekday nights ). I would just do some searching, there are way too many options to have a simple list.

For starters...kayaking down Lady Bird Lake, heading out to Lake Travis, Barton Springs, running/hiking numerous trails, Zilker Park, and many outdoor music events.
Any scenic drives? Wine country?
I will be there in May. Hope to see some spring flowers as well as the bats.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Any scenic drives? Wine country?
I will be there in May. Hope to see some spring flowers as well as the bats.
There are wineries throughout the Hill Country (area around Austin). Not sure how long the bluebonnets will last, but they're starting to bloom right now. Try this site: http://texaswinetrail.com

As far as scenic drives go, maybe some areas around the wineries. Hopefully some other people can chime in, but I've never encountered a truly scenic drive in and around Austin (except people watching ). Then again, my standards are the PCH, the Alps, etc.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Hwy 290 has about 5-6 wineries within a few miles as well as Texas' first bourbon distillery, Garrison's Brothers in Hye, Texas.

Tell Dan I sent you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.