Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Best Barbecue in Texas

Related Threads:

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

TEXAS barbecue, best in the world

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage
Houston

I really, really like Gatlin's in Houston although I have not been since they have moved into their new location.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by eltex
Not bad, but probably not top 10 in austin.

In austin, franklins, jmueller, stiles switch, micklethwait and blue ox are all really good. Lockhart has dropped in quality lately. Snows in lexington is good. Elgin bbq is average. A lot of places are good some days and not so good on others. Stick with the top spots for consistency, and try to go for lunch. Dinner might yield meat that has been sitting out for hours.
Went to Stiles Switch for dinner when I was in Austin two weeks ago. Really, really impressive food.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've done all the big names in and around Austin (Franklin's, Salt Lick, Kruez etc.) but what really surprised me by being as good as it was was The Pecan Lodge in Dallas. My party tried jalapeno cheddar sausage, brisket, burnt ends (first time seeing these outside KC), pulled pork and ribs and it was all absolutely amazing. Plus they have great beer and it's a fun atmosphere. I was very impressed.

Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
As I posted in the other thread I just got back from Dallas and went to the Pecan Lodge. My brother and I both declared it the best BBQ we have ever had anywhere. Go there now!

Everything we had was amazing. In two days we ate: the Mac n cheese with bacon, cole slaw, regular ribs (that were anything but regular), fried ribs with blue cheese crumples and chives on top, brisket, burnt ends, and sausage. I don't usually over eat but this was a great place to do it. Waited about an hour each day at lunch.

Funny side story while waiting in line over heard a group discussing the menu. One girl was a vegetarian and her friends were trying to tell her what her very limited options were. One of them said the mac n cheese was great and she could get that, oh wait, never mind its got bacon on it too! HA!

I thought it was illegal to be a vegeterian in Texas
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:46 pm

Snows bbq out in Lexington gets my vote. Only opens on Saturday mornings, and the brisket will change your life
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:27 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I am amazed nobody mentioned Ray's in Houston! The sides, brisket, sauce, I dunno where to begin. I have a menu from Ray's on my fridge here in cpt and I sometimes daydream and plan in my head what I'm going to order next time I'm in the iah

oh and Brisket House
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I read all the entries. we have tried everything within 100 miles of Austin. The only one not mentioned on this thread is Opies, highway 71 Spicewood. Its our go to place, second only to Franklins. We always get there at 11, since they run out about 2:30 pm, earlier if its hunting season. And now that Lake Travis is full, they run out in summer too. Half way between Austin and Marble Falls.

you are welcome.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:21 pm

I just tried CattleAck's BBQ at lunch today, holy cow wow!!!

CattleAck's is very very good barbecue. After eating there today I told my lunch partners that I just don't think I can ever eat at Rudy's or Dickie's or any other "just okay" BBQ joints again. I had the brisket it was some of the best brisket I have ever had, the jalapeńo cheese grits were pretty awesome as well.

Cattleack's is only open lunch on Thursday and Friday for lunch and the first Saturday of the month. The line isn't as bad as you would think, not nearly as bad as the Pecan Lodge line.

I did get to Hutchin's BBQ in McKinney and it is very good as well.

My new favorite BBQ list, Pecan Lodge is still number 1 on the list. The rest are pretty much tied for 2nd.

Pecan Lodge
Lockharts
CattleAck's
Hutchins
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I just tried CattleAck's BBQ at lunch today, holy cow wow!!!

CattleAck's is very very good barbecue. After eating there today I told my lunch partners that I just don't think I can ever eat at Rudy's or Dickie's or any other "just okay" BBQ joints again. I had the brisket it was some of the best brisket I have ever had, the jalapeńo cheese grits were pretty awesome as well.
A longtime favorite, I'll be heading there for lunch today, my final Texas BBQ before leaving the state.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by swag
A longtime favorite, I'll be heading there for lunch today, my final Texas BBQ before leaving the state.
Good choice for your final Texas BBQ, very good choice.

I also had the crumb cake which they advertise as life changing. Crumb cake was so delicious but if anything was life changing at CattleAcks it was the brisket.

Good luck on your move!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:39 pm
Suspended

I have middle brow regular guy taste, but I have always enjoyed Longoria's BBQ in Everman. They used to cater a dinner we attended and their brisket sausage was really good.

Arlington has David's BBQ. It was always pretty good.

I think BBQ is in the overhyped stage like beer and folks like to rank it to the point of absurdity and they like to have hard to get to places to make it a quest.

Heck, I get more excited about the 5 for $6 (may have gone up since last visit) chopped BBQ sandwiches at Risky's in NRH or on Azle Ave. in FW. At least I know they're worth what I paid for them even on a bad day.

If you want to brag about a place, it does make sense to have it be in the middle of nowhere so that people are invested in it being good when they have to drive 200 miles to eat it. Or if it is a place with a lot of social cachet, then people can brag about the "it" place they visited.

Clem Mikeska's on 35 was not too good the day I was there. It will seem tempting when I-35 is backed up and you are hungry, but it was a letdown.

PS Does anyone else distrust restaurants that sell tshirts?

Last edited by IcHot; Apr 1, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by IcHot
If you want to brag about a place, it does make sense to have it be in the middle of nowhere so that people are invested in it being good when they have to drive 200 miles to eat it. Or if it is a place with a lot of social cachet, then people can brag about the "it" place they visited.
This would all describe Snow's BBQ in Lexington pretty well, except I can assure you that their food is actually the real deal .

Originally Posted by IcHot
PS Does anyone else distrust restaurants that sell tshirts?
Depends on the place, generally yes if it is a place I'm not overly aware of otherwise (i.e. Franklin, Snow's, etc.). I'm much more concerned about restaurants in obvious tourist trap areas (worst restaurant experience of my life happened in Seligman, AZ, only meal I've had in the USA where I seriously considered not tipping a dime. Still my lowest tip ever at 10%).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I've had a lot of great beef brisket in different parts of Texas but I think that Tri-Tip is just as good if not better!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:15 am

I have been longtime friends of the wife involved with Heim Craft BBQ in Fort Worth. I highly recommend it and always go by when I am up in the area-it is worth the trip, and they are great people too IMHO.

In the H-Town area Killen’s is usually worth a trip; Gatlin's; Jackson Street is hit or miss but when a hit, really good; Burns; Papa Charlie's.

Up in the Lufkin-Nacogdoches Metroplex Lufkin BBQ is not bad for a quick roadside stop, and their fry rolls are very nice.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Five years later, the new Texas Monthly BBQ list is out.

Top 50, sorted by city: http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the...ints-in-texas/

Top 10, ranked: http://texasmonthly.com/s/the-golden-age-of-barbecue

Snow's is back at #1 .

It's nice to see my old local favorite CattleAck debut on the list all the way up at #3 . A few of the top 10 I've not heard of. But the biggest surprise may be who isn't on the list - for instance, just one place in Lockhart made the cut...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.