Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Toll Roads in Texas

Wikipedia: Toll Roads in Texas

TXTag: Map of Tollroads in Texas

Companies which manage/bill for toll road access (note one tag will work throughout Texas)

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Texas Tollways and Rental Cars

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Hmmm...

Now I need to double check. I called the rental car company (Enterprise in this case) before I got on the toll road, and they said that the ZipCash bill would just be charged directly to my CC. I asked, "So I'll only be billed for the toll amount?" and they said yes. I will be ticked if there is an additional fee.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Hmmm...

Now I need to double check. I called the rental car company (Enterprise in this case) before I got on the toll road, and they said that the ZipCash bill would just be charged directly to my CC. I asked, "So I'll only be billed for the toll amount?" and they said yes. I will be ticked if there is an additional fee.

Despite living and driving around Dallas, any rental car that I've ever used down in Houston which I've driven on toll roads has seen the toll amounts only billed to my credit card, via Enterprise, as a seperate item from the actual rental.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Ditto for me in Dallas and Houston - a separate bill.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Austin too!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any more recent experiences with this?

I have to visit Houston more often than I'd like, and they make it so hard to drive on their toll roads.

Hertz ripped all tags out of their cars nationwide since their big lawsuit last year.

I'd be willing to get my own tag and use it in rentals, but that's supposedly not allowed, and even worse, if I drive through and the tag doesn't get scanned, it becomes a fine.

All I want to do is drive on a better road and give $$$ to the state of Texas!
Old May 23, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
I'm also interested if anyone has current details on which rental car companies at DFW offer toll services, and what (sur)charges might be involved...
Old May 27, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Does the Ipass from Illinois work with this system?
Old May 27, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steve4031
Does the Ipass from Illinois work with this system?
No.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by ljwobker
I'm also interested if anyone has current details on which rental car companies at DFW offer toll services, and what (sur)charges might be involved...
Here is the info for Avis:
http://redirect.avis.com/services/eToll/
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by longhorn11
You should be able to use the sticker and just throw it on the dash. I kept a hard case tag before they forced everyone to switchover. They've never given me any grief on using it with multiple vehicles (personal cars, rentals, loaners, etc.)
This is what I did last time I was in DFW (last March) and it worked just fine.

I keep the TxTag in my backpack and brought it out on a recent trip to AUS. Held it up to the windshield on several tolls in the AUS/Lockhart area. Tolls never got debited from my TxTag account (it's been about five days). They also aren't showing up on the toll website's "pay by plate" function. Hopefully Hertz's fees are only a bit ridiculous instead of completely ludicrous, I guess.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by jackal
This is what I did last time I was in DFW (last March) and it worked just fine.

I keep the TxTag in my backpack and brought it out on a recent trip to AUS. Held it up to the windshield on several tolls in the AUS/Lockhart area. Tolls never got debited from my TxTag account (it's been about five days). They also aren't showing up on the toll website's "pay by plate" function. Hopefully Hertz's fees are only a bit ridiculous instead of completely ludicrous, I guess.
A friend of mine is a local cop, and that PD uses the Dallas area toll tags because they allow more flexibility on which vehicles they can be used in, not a 1-1 with vehicle like TxTag. And any toll tag from Texas works throughout the system, so a Dallas or Houston version will work in Austin.

That said, if you get charged through a rental car, I would expect a flat charge of $15-30, depending how much you used it.
For a $4 charge in Houston, I was charged $15 through Hertz, but at least that was paid by work.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
A friend of mine is a local cop, and that PD uses the Dallas area toll tags because they allow more flexibility on which vehicles they can be used in, not a 1-1 with vehicle like TxTag. And any toll tag from Texas works throughout the system, so a Dallas or Houston version will work in Austin.

That said, if you get charged through a rental car, I would expect a flat charge of $15-30, depending how much you used it.
For a $4 charge in Houston, I was charged $15 through Hertz, but at least that was paid by work.
Actually, mine is from the NTTA. I didn't realize it wasn't the same thing as a TxTag.

Hopefully the charges for a 7-day rental aren't obscene.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by jackal
Actually, mine is from the NTTA. I didn't realize it wasn't the same thing as a TxTag.

Hopefully the charges for a 7-day rental aren't obscene.
From what I've heard, NTTA still should do this, but I'll have to check when I'm back. If not, then that's bad news.

Charges would depend on how much you used the toll roads.
For me to drive from home to airport is about $5 on my TxTag (the 45 from the I-35 to 130, then the 130 down to the 71). I'd bet Hertz would charge me $25-30 for that.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
From what I've heard, NTTA still should do this, but I'll have to check when I'm back. If not, then that's bad news.

Charges would depend on how much you used the toll roads.
For me to drive from home to airport is about $5 on my TxTag (the 45 from the I-35 to 130, then the 130 down to the 71). I'd bet Hertz would charge me $25-30 for that.
I'm not finding much information on how Hertz in Texas handles tolls. Is it like the Northeast where they charge a daily fee ($2.95, $5.95, etc.) plus the undiscounted (cash or equivalent) cost of tolls, or is it a higher rate like $8.95 or $10.95 of something for unlimited toll usage? Or something else?

I don't know the exact amount of tolls we passed through, but I'd estimate that it's no more than $5-8(and probably less). If Hertz (or PlatePass or whomever they contract with) charges a reasonable daily fee and a not-too-obscene surcharge, it's probably OK. If they're charging $10/day, though, then I'm looking at $70 for the week-long rental, which would be very annoying to pay.

ETA: I see now that PlatePass is the provider for Texas rentals, too, here. So we're probably looking at $25 in service fees plus $12 or so in toll charges. That's not optimal but better than $70.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
You can avoid toll roads as there are parallel free roads going everywhere I can think of off hand. In some cases the traffic is heavier is all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.