Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possibly moving to Austin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Need advice- Possibly moving to Austin

My wife and I are looking at Austin as a possible location to move to and were wondering what the best areas are to live in?

We want to know what the safer and nicer areas are. Hoping to rent either a single home or townhouse, max of $2k/month, easy access (walk, public transport, short drive) to shops, restaurants (preferably ethnic foods), markets, theatres, etc. We're not into the club/bar scene so that's not important to us.

We're both in our late 20's, no need to commute, and have no plans for children.

Any suggestions of areas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jasonz9238; Jul 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
As long as you stay out of East Austin, you’ll be fine. I’d also avoid the 35/Rundgren area as it’s seedy. (Basically, anywhere around Highland Mall) If you don’t need the club/bar scene, you could go out as far as Pflugerville or Round Rock if you wanted to. I-35 and Mopac are both a mess, so there’s no commute advantage to living closer to either. $2,000.00/month is a reasonable price range for a condo. I haven’t lived in Austin since college, so I can’t give you up-to-date hotspots, but I have many friends there and visit 6 times a year for Longhorn football games.

Ethnic food places are littered through Austin. The closer you are to downtown, the more options you will have. The Alamo Draft theatre is a big player and they have locations through the city. HEB, Whole Foods and Randall’s are the major markets in the area. Fiesta is a big player in the Mexican world for ethnic foods. Austin is a huge supporter of the local scene so you’ll be hard pressed to find chain restaurants over mom and pops joints. Obviously, the BBQ in the Hill Country is sublime. It's 1 hour to San Antonio, 3.5 hours to Dallas and about 4.5 hours to Houston. Bergstrom airport is nice and has enough direct flights to make it worthwhile.

Austin is a great place to live if you like outdoor activities. (Wakeboarding on Lady Bird Lake, biking throughout the Hill Country, tubing the Comal or Guadalupe river, several dog parks, etc.) However, it’s lost some of its soul the last 10 years due to the influx of hipsters and wanna be d-bags that frequent 6th Street these days. If I had the opportunity with work, and my wife could be convinced that I wouldn’t be a 30-something frat boy, I’d move back in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Though they may be touching your 2k level, I'd check some of the high rise towers in the West 5th/6th and Lamar area, easy stroll to food, etc., and reducing car usage. A good area and venues for an intro to Austin life.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spankytoes
As long as you stay out of East Austin, you’ll be fine. I’d also avoid the 35/Rundgren area as it’s seedy. (Basically, anywhere around Highland Mall) If you don’t need the club/bar scene, you could go out as far as Pflugerville or Round Rock if you wanted to. I-35 and Mopac are both a mess, so there’s no commute advantage to living closer to either. $2,000.00/month is a reasonable price range for a condo.
From what I've gathered the east side of the 35 is considered East Austin?

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Though they may be touching your 2k level, I'd check some of the high rise towers in the West 5th/6th and Lamar area, easy stroll to food, etc., and reducing car usage. A good area and venues for an intro to Austin life.
Looks like the area you're recommending is downtown right? Unfortunately downtown's are not townhouse,single house friendly, even though it's the most convenient/exciting areas.

Does anyone know anything or experience with areas like Tarrytown, Allandale/Brentwood, Oak Hill, Barton Hills, and Old West Austin?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
From what I've gathered the east side of the 35 is considered East Austin?

Looks like the area you're recommending is downtown right? Unfortunately downtown's are not townhouse,single house friendly, even though it's the most convenient/exciting areas.

Does anyone know anything or experience with areas like Tarrytown, Allandale/Brentwood, Oak Hill, Barton Hills, and Old West Austin?
IH35 remains the Berlin Wall for us old timers. Yes, inner West 5th/6th to Lamar is "downtown", but West of lamar has some interesting enclaves.

It's hard not to be enamored of Tarrytown and Old West Austin because of convenience and access to lifestyle. Hyde Park is another bit of the past cherished by folks like me (UT grad, many friends still in the city), but over the years real estate agents and owners became awfully proud of some of the old small houses. As for me, I always feel at home on Enfield....
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
You are good with anything along Mopac(loop 1). All the neighborhoods you listed are great but would avoid Oak Hill due to traffic and location. I would look for places along S. Congress, S. Lamar or S. 1st. The closer to downtown the better. Good luck with your search.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:19 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by spankytoes
and about 4.5 hours to Houston. .
Since it is Flyertalk I'll nit pick and note Austin to Houston is about 2.5 hours either via 71 to IH-10 or via 290

I left Austin in late 99 and haven't been back regularly since 2007. I hardly recognize the place now though. West Campus has really changed.
From what friends tell me it is still good to avoid the true West Campus area or southern Hyde Park unless you are a student.
Good luck!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

We'll be making a trip to Austin soon and I guess we'll just have to drive/walk around some neighborhoods and get a feel for them.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by TMOliver
As for me, I always feel at home on Enfield....
Enfield is indeed lovely. OP may also want to check out Far West area. Hyde Park can be expensive. Lamar Blvd. has potential and gives you easy access to local music & cultural scenes around South Congress. South Austin is another possibility.

Since OP is not into bar scenes, there's no need to reside anywhere near the 6th St. and/or downtown. I'd personally avoid West Campus and South Congress as well.

I would think Capital Metro makes Austin more explorable for those without cars. If you happen to like certain neighborhoods where UT Shuttles cover, life can be a little bit easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.