Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in Houston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:32 am
Original Poster

What to do in Houston

What there to do in Houston over Labor Day weekend?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
It depends on what you like to do. I would go visit the USS Texas and the San Jacinto battleground beside it. After that I would drive down to Galveston to see the USS Stewart and the USS Cavalla.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:18 am

Depends what you like to do. Off the top of my head

Great Art Museums
Theatre
Galveston-The Strand-Guidos for dinner
Kemah
NASA
Gilley's and do the cowboy thing
Great nightclubs
Its a restaurant town
Shopping-Gallaria/Neiman Marcus
Alley Theatre under the stars
Pretty good zoo
San Jacinto if you are into history
Galveston free ferry

Thats just the top of my head and is a long weekend of stuff
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:28 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by frog_dude
What there to do in Houston over Labor Day weekend?
yeah, first question is what are into. Outdoors-y stuff, history, shopping, clubs, restaurants, museums, shows, NASA, beach/waterpark...
Labor should be hot but there is a lot going on
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Treasures

Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA GfL
If I can glom on...

I have a quick business trip to Houston in October that will leave me with a weekday afternoon free. I am staying at the JW Marriott, and I had not planned to rent a car. What is there to do in that area?

Also, there is a group dinner planned at Goode Co. BBQ., which I can either join or skip. (I don't know which Goode Co. location it will be.) I do like BBQ, and "when in Texas" I prefer to eat the local specialty--should I go with the group? Or can I do better solo?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
The JW Marriott is across the street from the Galleria, an upper-crust mega-mall with Nieman-Marcus, etc and the usual array of restaurants (Oceanaire, etc).....so if whiling-away (?) an afternoon that way sounds nice, you're all set....

Otherwise, Houston is an drive-around city....maybe there's a car rental place near JW Marriott that does pick-up/drop-off, like Enterprise or Hertz-Local Edition.

The most unique things to do around Houston would be historic Galveston on the Gulf, the NASA complex, and the famed Menil Collection art museum (menil.org) with it's neighborhood of galleries and Rothko Chapel. (The Menil is much more on the radar of European visitors to Houston, actually!)

Supposedly, the BBQ in Texas is palatable.....perhaps ask if the chef/pitmaster learned their craft here in OKC......Just as Houston energy companies take their direction from OKC, so should BBQ-ers!

Last edited by peersteve; Aug 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm Reason: BBQ jibe
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by peersteve
The JW Marriott is across the street from the Galleria, an upper-crust mega-mall with Nieman-Marcus, etc and the usual array of restaurants (Oceanaire, etc).....so if whiling-away (?) an afternoon that way sounds nice, you're all set....

Otherwise, Houston is an drive-around city....maybe there's a car rental place near JW Marriott that does pick-up/drop-off, like Enterprise or Hertz-Local Edition.

The most unique things to do around Houston would be historic Galveston on the Gulf, the NASA complex, and the famed Menil Collection art museum (menil.org) with it's neighborhood of galleries and Rothko Chapel. (The Menil is much more on the radar of European visitors to Houston, actually!)

Supposedly, the BBQ in Texas is palatable.....perhaps ask if the chef/pitmaster learned their craft here in OKC......Just as Houston energy companies take their direction from OKC, so should BBQ-ers!
Easy now Pilgrim
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:06 am

Thanks, peersteve! That's very helpful. I'm not much of a mall rat, so maybe I will look into renting a car. The NASA idea sounds interesting--I'll look into what tourist activities they have, and how far a drive it is.

I will gather more opinions on the best BBQ. In truth I am looking foward to some Texas-style (or perhaps Oklahoma-style) 'cue, which I like. Mr. travelmad478 is from NC and seems to believe that the only thing that merits the name "BBQ" is a pulled pork sandwich on a hamburger bun, with cole slaw on top. To which I say, bleh! Give me some ribs!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:39 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Thanks, peersteve! That's very helpful. I'm not much of a mall rat, so maybe I will look into renting a car. The NASA idea sounds interesting--I'll look into what tourist activities they have, and how far a drive it is.

I will gather more opinions on the best BBQ. In truth I am looking foward to some Texas-style (or perhaps Oklahoma-style) 'cue, which I like. Mr. travelmad478 is from NC and seems to believe that the only thing that merits the name "BBQ" is a pulled pork sandwich on a hamburger bun, with cole slaw on top. To which I say, bleh! Give me some ribs!
There is no such thing as Oklahoma style BBQ; I can tell you what they do try to make is crap.

As for Goode company, there are some better hole in the walls than Goode Company but it should be ok for a quick meal
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
As for Goode company, there are some better hole in the walls than Goode Company
Can you be more specific? Anything within walking/easy cab distance of the JWM?

I will not wade into the TX vs. OK debate!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Can you be more specific? Anything within walking/easy cab distance of the JWM?

I will not wade into the TX vs. OK debate!
Too bad. So many Oklahoma related jokes just popped into my head.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Too bad. So many Oklahoma related jokes just popped into my head.
As this is a part of the country that I am almost entirely unfamiliar with, I will leave it to the experts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
There is no such thing as Oklahoma style BBQ; I can tell you what they do try to make is crap.
+1

Earl's Rib Palace? Slapping a name of a former ou football player/coach on a joint and calling it "good"? If you have smoked bologna as an option, you are in the wrong state.

Give me Franklin's, Mueller's, Snow, Lockhart, Smitty's or even Salt Lick any day of the week.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Ohhhhh, ms travemad, I'm sorry you have to get in the middle of this.....We Okies have a terrible inferiority complex about Baja Oklahoma (errr, Texas), and know that when Texas re-declares it's independence, our state will be immediately annexed, just to even-up the corners of their map....

Anyway, you will be fine in Texas, as long as you aren't pronouncing the city name as "how-ston" like a Manhattanite...... enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.