Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

IAH Layover - what to do, where to go, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

IAH / Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport Layover
What to do, where to go, how much time? (Consolidated) (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

IAH Layover - what to do, where to go, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:26 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ab007
There is a later BA flight (which also had F availability) which I considered when booking but it only allows 50mins between flights which may have been a bit tight for my liking depending on LHR departure, immigration queues at IAH etc.
50 minutes to go through Immigration, Customs, reclear security to go airside?

:-: Impossilbe :-:
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:06 pm

Looking for a place to meet with a client during a 4 hour layover at IAH. Are there any restaurants/ coffee shops outside security at any of the terminals?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:12 pm

You know I can't think of anything besides the airport hotel that is outside of security. You can get to it by underground train (outside of security). OK, using train rather loosely, but I believe that's how we normally refer to it
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:20 pm

I know there used to be a Starbucks (I want to say at Terminal B) pre-security, but I cannot remember if there was a place to sit down. The Marriott outside of security makes me a little nervous, as I have not used the train and am not sure how to judge the timing of everything. I am TSA precheck, which will hopefully help with security. Does the train from the Marriott go to Terminal A? Thank you for your help.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:48 pm

You might be right, according to fly2Houston, official Houston Airport web site:

Originally Posted by fly2Houston.com

Starbucks Coffee

Intercontinental > Terminal B > Ticketing Lobby near Continental Airlines counter
As you can see, they keep it up to date

The "train" goes to A as I recall, in fact it was the only way to get there until they extended the Skytrain (or whatever it's called).

While I used to fly ex IAH, I've only been outside of security two or three times in last seven years, and that was due to int'l arrival.

The train is in the basement and runs constantly - it has to, because the cars are so small
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:56 pm

I really do appreciate your time and insight. Thank you! I will aim for the Marriott.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by DrinkingCoffee
I really do appreciate your time and insight. Thank you! I will aim for the Marriott.
OK, just to reassure you, a reply to a post that verifies that the train is still running.

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
no UA ticket counter in use at TA, only a sign saying to check in at Terminal B if checking bags, which I was.
So... I had to take the underground tram to TB to check my bag.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:29 pm

I have a 3 1/2 hour layover at IAH in July. It looks like my arriving and departing gates are typically the same (C31, I think). TPA-IAH-LAX-FAT. Arriving UA1797 at 1:25pm, departing UA1639 at 5:00pm.

I have a lounge day pass.

I used to live in Houston (about 21 years ago) and I'd like to meet a former beau for some catch-up time since I haven't seen him in two decades.

I was thinking about hanging in the Marriott restaurant, or the Marriott lobby (are there chairs and sofas? Couldn't find any pictures).

Any suggestions?

I promise we'll behave. Mostly. Okay, maybe a little kissing. But otherwise, behaving like respectable people.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
The IAH Marriott is a sprawling hotel with plenty of sitting areas and alcoves between the main lobby and the South Tower.

I was last there in August. It was undergoing a pretty significant renovation to turn up the Feng Shui.

Have fun!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:37 pm

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:15 pm

I am @IAH and those interested in storage lockers, UA club T C & E has these .
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Where to meet a friend at IAH?

I have two hours to meet a friend/former business colleague at IAH. It would be nice to save them parking fees. Where should we meet and where to go?

I will be arriving at either terminal C or E. Because I think there's less traffic, I propose

1. Having them wait in the cell phone lot.
2. Calling them then meet at the departure level of Terminal D because there's less traffic.
***Is Terminal D just one level or are there separate departure and arrival levels?
***Is there a spot to meet at the roadway of Terminal D? Do they have airline signs, like "British Airways"? (I think not).

3. Where to go? I think there's a Taco Bell and Jack in a Box on JFK Blvd.

Assuming a flight lands at 12 noon. I figure I will be at Terminal D by 12:15. I figure that we will be at the Jack in a Box or similar from 12:30 to 1:10. Then to security at 1:20.

Another possibility is to meet at the Marriott but I think it takes time to get from the airport to the Marriott and it also it has paid parking.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Box10
1. Having them wait in the cell phone lot.
2. Calling them then meet at the departure level of Terminal D because there's less traffic.
***Is Terminal D just one level or are there separate departure and arrival levels?
***Is there a spot to meet at the roadway of Terminal D? Do they have airline signs, like "British Airways"? (I think not).

3. Where to go? I think there's a Taco Bell and Jack in a Box on JFK Blvd
Another possibility is to meet at the Marriott but I think it takes time to get from the airport to the Marriott and it also it has paid parking.
1. Good idea @:-)

2. From when I was flying ex IAH, D tended to be a cluster, if no other reason, because lots of infrequent travelers (and peopel dropping off / picking up weren't much better).

D is is ALL departures, as arrivals get to walk to E.

IMHO, E term is much better for someone picking you up.

3. Don't recall, but there's a greasy spoon at JFK and Loop 8 (or 12, I keep getting Dallas and Houston confused ).

The Kettle or some such thing. They used to have a couple in Galveston - maybe still one, and it's OK, probably better than what you propose, unless you really just want to meet and talk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.