Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

IAH Layover - what to do, where to go, how much time?

Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

IAH / Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport Layover
What to do, where to go, how much time? (Consolidated) (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

IAH Layover - what to do, where to go, how much time?

Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:45 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by notsosmart
I haven't been to IAH in a good long while, and never without lounge access. I have a four hour layover later today, and want to find a nice quiet corner to sit and read and do some writing.

I don't want to go to a bar, because that defeats the purpose, and I won't buy a daypass if I get charged for drinks too.

Can anyone suggest a quiet corner of IAH where I can sit and chill away from the traveling hordes?
Probably too late for you now, but the area in front of the USO around Gates D-1 through 3 are normally fairly empty (D-1-3 are actually more part of term C).

I go into the USO often and normally it is quiet outside; you just see one or two crew members taking a nap or TSA doofs wandering by wasting tax dollars, other than that it is nice.

kale73, The new terminal B south does have power stations BTW.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
If you don't wind up going into a lounge, take the train over to the Marriott. There are lots of very quiet nooks and crannies there either in the South Tower Lobby or if there is no meeting in the Tower Suites.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
If you don't wind up going into a lounge, take the train over to the Marriott.
While I used to clear security twice back when Term A was not joined like today to go to President's Club when flying US, I don't normally like to have to clear security again like you would have to do to come back from Marriott.

EmailKid
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:15 am

Overnight at IAH - Suggestions?

I am considering a redeye flight with a long layover, 12:00p-7:00a at IAH. I have passes to United Club and American Airlines lounges, but it appears the lounges will be closed by the time I get in. Any suggestions on the best way to get some sleep at IAH?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:23 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the FT Texas Forum.
Please follow there...
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:19 pm

Terminal D, aka International Terminal tends to be most private. Well other than the afternoon international flights
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:58 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/houston.htm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Terminal D, aka International Terminal tends to be most private. Well other than the afternoon international flights
Thanks!

Originally Posted by cblaisd
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/houston.htm
Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:34 pm

A follow-up to my question: would it be considered unacceptable if I brought along a sleeping bag for my overnight in IAH?

(I am guessing setting up an air mattress would be considered 'too much,' even though I will have one with me).
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:10 pm

I've seen people sleeping in sleeping bags at DFW IIRC. Not sure I've seen too many sleeping at IAH as I connect there these days, so normally not there that early.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Might not be a bad idea to try a Priceline, there's an on airport Marriott which would be good for a few hours.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Might not be a bad idea to try a Priceline, there's an on airport Marriott which would be good for a few hours.
Thanks for the idea, but I just booked my LAX-IAH-MSY flight where I will be there from 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., which is perfect timing to allow me to eat breakfast/nap/shower at the United Club lounge. Much better than sleeping in the airport! (although that would've been an adventure by itself...)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
7 hour overnight layover at IAH

I've got a 6 hr and 40 min layover at IAH. 11:20 pm arrival and 6:10 am departure the following morning. I'm asking for some advice of what you'd do. Considering it would take an hour from the time we de-plane until I could arrive at a close hotel and figuring 2 hours taken up in the morning getting to airport and going through security, my question is is it worth getting the room for 3 1/2 of sleep or is there a better option for that time staying at the airport?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:39 am

I personally think 3.5 hours of sleep is better than none. There is a Marriott essentially connected to the airport.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ercontinental/
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by n dakota
IConsidering it would take an hour from the time we de-plane until I could arrive at a close hotel and figuring 2 hours taken up in the morning getting to airport and going through security, my question is is it worth getting the room for 3 1/2 of sleep or is there a better option for that time staying at the airport?

Why an hour? Why not 40 minutes from deplaning to arriving at the Marriott? Why 2 hours to go through security instead of 1:15?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.