Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 13, 12, 4:37 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PLT, AA 2MM, AAdmirals Club
Posts: 8
Beer Trucks on the DFW Tarmac

While waiting to depart on a flight out of gate C31 just after noon today at DFW, I saw two, full-size beer delivery trucks driving around. First a white Coors Light truck, then a blue Bud Light truck a few minutes later. These weren't the single-chassis delivery trucks that deliver beer to your local convenience store; they had separate tractors but the trailers still had the multiple doors on the sides. (like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerwmdriver/4369305514/ )

I've flown through DFW hundreds of times and seen all kinds of vehicles, but never one, much less two, of these trucks tooling around _on_ the tarmac.

Is this how they have to cater Int'l flights now that beer is once again complimentary in Coach?????

(Mods, please move this thread if there's a better/more appropriate home for it.)

Last edited by AUSFTer; Feb 13, 12 at 4:38 pm. Reason: note to mods
AUSFTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 4:47 pm   #2
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Lifetime Platinum, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Travelers Aid JFK Volunteer
Posts: 9,751
Looking for Steven Slater?

Oh wait, no B6 at DFW.
ESpen36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 4:49 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA, SPG
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSFTer View Post
Is this how they have to cater Int'l flights now that beer is once again complimentary in Coach?????
how many question marks do you use for urgent questions?

just playin - they are stocking up with the glorious protection of the BK
Nighthawk168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 4:51 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFO/SJC/SQL
Posts: 1,391
I need to find the pic but one beer truck on the ramp sighting led to inadvertent comedy. Around pushback time, the Captain announced a delayed due to the lavatory tanks being full. He said a lav service truck was on the way and would be there monetarily. As he finished the message, a Coors Light truck pulls up next to the plane. I remarked openly that the stuff going into the toilet tanks should be better than what was coming out. Got a few chuckles.
WChou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:16 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 6,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by WChou View Post
I need to find the pic but one beer truck on the ramp sighting led to inadvertent comedy. Around pushback time, the Captain announced a delayed due to the lavatory tanks being full. He said a lav service truck was on the way and would be there monetarily. As he finished the message, a Coors Light truck pulls up next to the plane. I remarked openly that the stuff going into the toilet tanks should be better than what was coming out. Got a few chuckles.
Is that when the truck would appear in your budgetary spreadsheet?
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:24 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MCO/FRA
Programs: None anymore
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSFTer View Post
While waiting to depart on a flight out of gate C31 just after noon today at DFW, I saw two, full-size beer delivery trucks driving around. First a white Coors Light truck, then a blue Bud Light truck a few minutes later. These weren't the single-chassis delivery trucks that deliver beer to your local convenience store; they had separate tractors but the trailers still had the multiple doors on the sides. (like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerwmdriver/4369305514/ )

I've flown through DFW hundreds of times and seen all kinds of vehicles, but never one, much less two, of these trucks tooling around _on_ the tarmac.

Is this how they have to cater Int'l flights now that beer is once again complimentary in Coach?????

(Mods, please move this thread if there's a better/more appropriate home for it.)
Not related, BUT the pictured truck is exactly what delivers to all the local C-Stores in Brevard, Fl.
Flahusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:42 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: san jose,calif
Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Posts: 473
Perhaps they are getting ready for the next Megado???
retirementdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 5:50 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ORD, LAX, LHR
Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 974
Stocking up the ACs?
__________________
FT Irish Blessing: May your delays be brief; may your gates be open whenever you land; may all your upgrades come through!
2millionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:20 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Ex Platinum, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSFTer View Post
While waiting to depart on a flight out of gate C31 just after noon today at DFW, I saw two, full-size beer delivery trucks driving around. First a white Coors Light truck, then a blue Bud Light truck a few minutes later. These weren't the single-chassis delivery trucks that deliver beer to your local convenience store; they had separate tractors but the trailers still had the multiple doors on the sides. (like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerwmdriver/4369305514/ )

I've flown through DFW hundreds of times and seen all kinds of vehicles, but never one, much less two, of these trucks tooling around _on_ the tarmac.

Is this how they have to cater Int'l flights now that beer is once again complimentary in Coach?????

(Mods, please move this thread if there's a better/more appropriate home for it.)
I can't answer the question, but I can confirm the sighting of the blue truck tooling around Terminal B when my flight from ABQ pulled into D27 shortly before noon. Remember thinking it was a bit odd...
txrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:29 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Posts: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSFTer View Post
While waiting to depart on a flight out of gate C31 just after noon today at DFW, I saw two, full-size beer delivery trucks driving around. First a white Coors Light truck, then a blue Bud Light truck a few minutes later.
You do realize that local breweries/distributors cater/stock the restaurants/bars in airports don't you?
__________________
Comments by Sluggo are his Opinions.
They are NOT the Views or Policy of AA
sluggoaafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:34 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin Texas
Programs: "But, I'm a diamond guest...."
Posts: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa View Post
You do realize that local breweries/distributors cater/stock the restaurants/bars in airports don't you?
Distributers only here in Texas.

Too bad they didnt actually have good beer.
austin_modern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:35 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,552
A common sight on the DFW tarmac.
dayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:38 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_modern View Post
Distributers only here in Texas.

Too bad they didnt actually have good beer.
The distributors for the three major breweries also distribute most of the "good beer."
dayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 6:42 pm   #14
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Lifetime Platinum, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Travelers Aid JFK Volunteer
Posts: 9,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa View Post
You do realize that local breweries/distributors cater/stock the restaurants/bars in airports don't you?

But aren't all the DFW airport restaurants/bars/shops operated by HMS Host under licensing/franchisee agreements? I didn't think any actual brand-name restaurants operated their own facilities at DFW. (maybe Cantina Laredo is the exception because it's local?)

Catering would all be Sysco or similar industrial foodservice corporations, right?
ESpen36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:43 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere I need to be.
Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementdreams View Post
Perhaps they are getting ready for the next Megado???
Or for KillAAkeg
__________________
RIP AA. 1934-9 Dec 2013.
AA_EXP09 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:00 am.