Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 30, 11, 5:39 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Posts: 1,584
DFW for 24 hours - what to do?

Arriving DFW 10:00 a.m. Thursday on an international flight and leaving next morning at 9:00 a.m the first week of May. I'll probably priceline the Hyatt DFW North. I've never been to the DFW area before (other than overnight at airport hotels) and would appreciate any suggestions on what might be interesting to do and places to eat (BBQ/steak preferred).


Thanks
tkelvin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 11, 7:18 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: DFW; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA GLD 1.5MM; UA Silver; IHG Plat, Marriott Plat; OMNIPat
Posts: 10,590
Are you planning to get a rental car? Getting around DFW is hard without a car.

Near the airport, my BBQ pick is Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell.

For steak, there's a Bob's in Grapevine; I haven't been to that location, but the others are very good.

If you want to get away from the airport area, I'd wait until the date gets closer, and then check pegasusnews.com and dallasobserver.com to see what events may be going on.

There's some good shopping at Grapevine Mills Mall, just north of the airport.
__________________
This space intentionally left blank.
swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 11, 3:53 pm   #3
Talkboard Member & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/FAY)
Programs: AA, DL, UA General Member, BW Gold, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus
Posts: 15,364
If the Rangers are home, the Ballpark at Arlington is a fun place to see a game.
__________________
Woke up this morning, the world turned upside down
You know the things ain't been the same since the blues walked in our town
CMK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 11, 10:54 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,628
If you rent a car, go to Dealey Plaza or go to the museums in Fort Worth. Pick a city and spend the day there.
csufabel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 11, 11:00 am   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Arriving DFW 10:00 a.m. Thursday on an international flight and leaving next morning at 9:00 a.m the first week of May. I'll probably priceline the Hyatt DFW North. I've never been to the DFW area before (other than overnight at airport hotels) and would appreciate any suggestions on what might be interesting to do and places to eat (BBQ/steak preferred).


Thanks
It depends a lot of what your interests are. If you go to Hard 8 BBQ as suggested prepare to smell like a smokehouse the rest of the day. Great BBQ, I live and work not far from there, but I always plan on going straight home after eating there and not out socially afterwards. You have to walk directly in front of the smoke pit to order your food.

When visiting Dallas you need to be aware that we are in road hell construction in and around the airport. Updates can be found on this website http://www.dfwconnector.com/index_flash.php. If you are going to go anywhere west of the airport like Grapevine, Southlake, Fort Worth I highly recommend you allow extra time and check out the traffic updates. If you head east to Dallas proper or northeast to Addison or Plano it won't be much of an issue once you clear the airport.

There is live music every night of the week in Dallas of nearly any type. You can find who is playing where at Pegasus News mentioned by Swag. http://www.pegasusnews.com/

There are a lot of restaurants and shopping in Southlake Town Square, twenty minutes from the airport, two hours if you go at the wrong time of the day or when a lot of lanes are closed.
http://www.southlaketownsquare.com/
Grapevine has a nice downtown, restaurants and clubs, 15 minutes from the airport, again two hours if it is rush hour and the lanes are jacked up.
http://www.downtowngrapevinetexas.com/
If you want to venture further west to Sundance Square you can burn an entire afternoon and evening in the area. Shops, bookstores, movie theater, coffee shops, restaurants and night clubs for later.
http://www.sundancesquare.com/
If you like festivals that Thursday is the start of Mayfest at Trinity Park.
http://www.pegasusnews.com/events/2011/may/05/222928/
The Dallas Arboretum is always beautiful to go to and Asleep at the Wheel is playing there that Thursday.
http://www.dallasarboretum.org/
MissJoeyDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 11, 12:02 am   #6
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PHX, DFW, HNL
Posts: 9
North main BBQ in Euless is pretty good, its not that far from the airport but they are only open on the weekends
ikikstarbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 11, 5:31 pm   #7
Moderator: Budget Travel forum
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: DAL / DFW
Programs: UA 1K .9 MM
Posts: 6,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
I've never been to the DFW area before (other than overnight at airport hotels) and would appreciate any suggestions on what might be interesting to do and places to eat (BBQ/steak preferred).
Good suggestions already, but personaly I'm fond of Fort Worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csufabel View Post
If you rent a car, go to Dealey Plaza or go to the museums in Fort Worth. Pick a city and spend the day there.
Trinity Railway Express will get you downtown Fort Worth or Dallas, though you have to take TWO shuttles from DFW (one to south parking lot, another to TRE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW View Post
If you want to venture further west to Sundance Square you can burn an entire afternoon and evening in the area. Shops, bookstores, movie theater, coffee shops, restaurants and night clubs for later.
http://www.sundancesquare.com/
Downtown Fort Worth is great, and if you buy a TRE ticket, you can take a bus from there to the Museum District (I've taken the bus in the past and it's quite safe).

Riscky's Barbeque downtown has good food and frozen margaritas to die for.

EmailKid
__________________
Training Specialist/Field Service Engineer looking for work
Found something for now, but still want a job in my field
EmailKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 11, 7:46 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth TX
Programs: AA EXP/3MM, UA 1P, Hyatt DIA, SPG PLT, 2.5 time FT Fantasy Football champ and FT general member.
Posts: 10,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailkid View Post
Downtown Fort Worth is great, and if you buy a TRE ticket, you can take a bus from there to the Museum District (I've taken the bus in the past and it's quite safe).
I'd tell you to take a bus to the Museum District (yes, it's super safe... it's where I live) and enjoy some time at any of the world-class museums there. Then walk across University to the newer W. 7th development where you can walk to a variety of shops (more than you'll find downtown) and many fabulous restaurants. There are several places along 7th where you can catch a bus back to downtown - or if it's a nice afternoon/evening and you enjoy walking, it's a lovely walk back to downtown crossing the river and such.
__________________
TMOliver:I consider Camp Bowie to rank among the world's best streets.It ain't the Ramblas or 5th Ave, but will do for me.
techgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 11, 10:11 am   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central Texas
Programs: AA, DL, CO, Marriott, HH
Posts: 6,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl View Post
I'd tell you to take a bus to the Museum District (yes, it's super safe... it's where I live) and enjoy some time at any of the world-class museums there. Then walk across University to the newer W. 7th development where you can walk to a variety of shops (more than you'll find downtown) and many fabulous restaurants. There are several places along 7th where you can catch a bus back to downtown - or if it's a nice afternoon/evening and you enjoy walking, it's a lovely walk back to downtown crossing the river and such.
From another FW fan, I'll vote for the same choices (but would prefer an auto rental and maybe finishing the day with a visit to the Stockyards and dinner).
__________________
El Pelon Sinverguenza
FT - A conniving cabal of corrupt and conscience-less consiglieri
TMOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 11, 2:59 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: TTT302009
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW View Post
When visiting Dallas you need to be aware that we are in road hell construction in and around the airport. Updates can be found on this website http://www.dfwconnector.com/index_flash.php. If you are going to go anywhere west of the airport like Grapevine, Southlake, Fort Worth I highly recommend you allow extra time and check out the traffic updates. If you head east to Dallas proper or northeast to Addison or Plano it won't be much of an issue once you clear the airport.
...
There are a lot of restaurants and shopping in Southlake Town Square, twenty minutes from the airport, two hours if you go at the wrong time of the day or when a lot of lanes are closed.
http://www.southlaketownsquare.com/
Grapevine has a nice downtown, restaurants and clubs, 15 minutes from the airport, again two hours if it is rush hour and the lanes are jacked up.
http://www.downtowngrapevinetexas.com/
I'm sure the exaggeration was intended but just so our out of town visitor is in on the joke: there's no way it would ever take two hours to go from DFW to either Grapevine or Southlake.

Even if the 114/121 freeway is all jammed up because of the major construction project, 45 minutes at most, and that's if there's a bad accident too.

Of course by departing the airport via Airfield Drive instead of the 114 freeway there's really no reason to fight the traffic and construction mess at all. Just take Airfield Drive westbound to Main Street and then head north (for downtown Grapevine) or keep going further west until it becomes Mustang Drive; cross William D Tate Blvd. on Mustang and keep going NW bound on Mustang towards Highway 26 and Southlake.
Herb687 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:58 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.