Search

DFW Airport Food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:57 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K AA
DFW Airport Food

Can someone remind the concessions people that DFW is in Texas? One of my favorite airports is Austin (TX), where most of the airport restaurants are local.

Having grown up in Texas and now living on the east coast, I make a few coast-to-coast flights with stopovers in Dallas. You think this would be a good time to get a fix of some of the stuff you can't get anywhere else. Some stuff I'm looking for:

BBQ - Dallas isn't Austin. But someone in Dallas probably knows how to make beef brisket. How about letting them on the airport?

Mexican Food - Again... dump the chain

Chili - Maybe some good chili. I'll settle for bad chili. I'll even settle for a walk-up version of Sonic.

Blue Bell - They might sell Haagen Daazs (which actually characterizes Dallas' personality well), but can we have a fix since we're within range on Brenham?

Coke and Dr. Pepper - DFW is one of the few places that I'll go to McDonalds because they are the only concessions that won't get strong-armed. It appears that all of the other concessions exclusively serve Pepsi (can't remember if they also serve Dr. Pepper).

Big Red - Again, I really could use a fix
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Remember that the food service operations at DFW are actually not run by their brand name companies, they are run by HMS Host on behalf of the DFW airport authority under franchise arrangements. Look closely at the name tags and you will see that they work for HMS Host even though the sign says Starbucks, TGI Fridays, etc.

As far as the food goes, there are some pretty decent options over in Terminal D. Cantina Laredo is fantastic, and Blue Mesa is pretty good too.

So, you're not limited to McD and Taco Bell....you just have to look around and be willing to travel a bit.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Cousins actually offers chopped brisket.

But this is a South (Texas) Forum issue, not specific to airlines, even if it is the AA hub, so this thread will be moseyin' on to that forum. / Moderator
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:07 pm

There are a few BBQ joints at DFW that are decent. As said, you have to walk a little bit:

http://dfwairport.com/shops/finder.php?type=restaurants
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:40 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
Cousins actually offers chopped brisket.

But this is a South (Texas) Forum issue, not specific to airlines, even if it is the AA hub, so this thread will be moseyin' on to that forum. / Moderator
I respect your opinion on this. But one of the main reasons that I raised this subject was because of the choices that AmAir made. I can't stand changing planes in AA's DFW hub. This is one of the reasons I don't fly on AA (and posted in the AA forum). In the meantime, I'm having a coke in Denver.

I'll try Cousins. But it better not have a microwave in the kitchen, hopefully some wood smoke coming from the chimney.

They could still sell Big Red in the newsstands. But HMS Host seems to have sold us down the river there as well by making them exclusively Pepsi (AA could still smack some sense into them)
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by IAD22066
I respect your opinion on this. But one of the main reasons that I raised this subject was because of the choices that AmAir made. I can't stand changing planes in AA's DFW hub. This is one of the reasons I don't fly on AA (and posted in the AA forum). In the meantime, I'm having a coke in Denver.

I'll try Cousins. But it better not have a microwave in the kitchen, hopefully some wood smoke coming from the chimney.

They could still sell Big Red in the newsstands. But HMS Host seems to have sold us down the river there as well by making them exclusively Pepsi (AA could still smack some sense into them)
If anyone is going to "smack some sense into" HMS then it would be the DFW Airport Authority, not AA.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Remember that the food service operations at DFW are actually not run by their brand name companies, they are run by HMS Host on behalf of the DFW airport authority under franchise arrangements. Look closely at the name tags and you will see that they work for HMS Host even though the sign says Starbucks, TGI Fridays, etc.

As far as the food goes, there are some pretty decent options over in Terminal D. Cantina Laredo is fantastic, and Blue Mesa is pretty good too.

So, you're not limited to McD and Taco Bell....you just have to look around and be willing to travel a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.