Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

got two nights in Austin; want BBQ and Mexican: where to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

I have two nights coming up where I am free to explore all that Austin has to offer, culinarily speaking. I, being a Northerner, naturally want good bbq and tex-mex.

Where would you send me? Not concerned about price (although at bbq and tex-mex joints, I would hope this is not a problem ). We'll have a car so driving is a possibility, although would obviously prefer to stay more or less around town (i.e. not in Houston).

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:39 pm

Oh. My. God.

For starters:

BBQ: Countyline, Salt Lick out in Wimberly, Rudy's

Tex-Mex: Chuys, the taco shack on Lamar (and my guilty fast food pleasure, Taco Cabana!)
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:44 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by runnerwallah
Oh. My. God.

For starters:

Tex-Mex: Chuys, the taco shack on Lamar (and my guilty fast food pleasure, Taco Cabana!)

Mmmmmmmm . . . Rudy's . . .
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I love the fast response!

Got a couple of places to check out online.. keep it coming!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: Miles N More, One World
Originally Posted by runnerwallah
Oh. My. God.

For starters:

Countyline is very good, just don't stuff yourself on the fresh baked bread otherwise you'll have a hard time with the big portions they serve.

Tried Green Mesquite and found it to be pretty good too but Cl is my choice.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
BBQ: Countyline, definitely
Mexican: Chuy's
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:28 pm

It's been years, but I had some great BBQ in East Austin at place called, er...Ben's? Don's? A little saucy, more 'southern' style. Worth going (if you can get a stronger lead on it than I'm giving you--sorry), just in contrast to Texas-rancher-style, all-meat-no-sauce BBQ you get elsewhere in the hill country.

And not strictly Tex-Mex (it seems too healthy), but Las Manitas--man, I still dream of the avocados there...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:33 pm

On second thought, I'm pretty sure the BBQ place was Sam's, 2000 East 12th Street. Funny--hazy on the name, but I can still remember how to drive there from the highway--looking on a satellite map, this looks like the right location.

Oh, and Salt Lick--great food, gorgeous drive.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I have two nights coming up where I am free to explore all that Austin has to offer, culinarily speaking. I, being a Northerner, naturally want good bbq and tex-mex.

Where would you send me? Not concerned about price (although at bbq and tex-mex joints, I would hope this is not a problem ). We'll have a car so driving is a possibility, although would obviously prefer to stay more or less around town (i.e. not in Houston).

Thanks!
Mexico
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
BBQ: Rudy's, The Salt Lick, CountyLine (in that order)
Tex-Mex: Trudy's > Chuy's
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
If you end up eating Mexican both nights, don't despair. You can get good bbq right at the airport (Salt Lick, and I'm partial to Harlon's) before you board your flight. Of course, the atmosphere sux.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If you don't want to drive too far (BBQ nirvana is found in Lockhart, 40 minutes south), my BBQ pick would be Cooper's in Round Rock. Very much an authentic east-TX-hill-country style place. Cafeteria style service. Huge smoker just outside the door. They do serve sides and sauce, but I wouldn't bother, just get brisket & sausage by the pound. I'm getting hungry just typing.

Call before you go, they close early, I think maybe around 8pm?

Last edited by swag; Aug 6, 2008 at 3:42 pm
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
El Chile is a different take on Mexican/Tex-Mex (visit the original location).

There is also El Arroyo which has a lot of construction near it but the food is decent, the drinks are good, and the atmosphere is Austin.

As for BBQ, I'd do Coopers or Kreuz Market in Lockhart or even Iron Works (though they've gone down hill IMO).

I've heard good things about Smitty's Market in Lockhart but have not been.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:42 pm
In memoriam

I think Lockhart - BBQ capital of Texas - is absolutely worth the trip from Austin (we got there in about 30 minutes - although I guess it depends on your location in Austin). Blacks - Kreuz - Smittys. You can actually eat at all 3 - since you order by the pound (1/2 pound of brisket) or the piece (2 ribs) - not by the meal. Do not miss the fatty brisket. It is heaven. Bring a bunch of friends if possible. And note that all of these places close pretty early.

Also - if the bats are "in season" when you're there - go to the bat bridge one night at sunset - and watch them. Their flight from the bridge is spectacular. Robyn
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:48 pm
In memoriam

There's lots of really good Mexican food in town too. Best choice might depend on where you're staying. What part of town will you be in? Don't miss the Whole Foods near downtown (the Austin store is the flagship store for the country - and it is really something to see - or have lunch at). Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.