Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

banners too large and slowish acting site this morning

Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The banners ads to the right are too large. In many of the posts, I can't read the content cause it covers it. If i try to move it, i end up getting stuck being transferred into their site , then it's impossible to move back into Flyertalk without closing the browser down and reopening.

Also, it seems very sluggish. A couple weeks ago I couldn't access for a week, the site just wouldn't let me in.

Just thougth someone might want to have this feedback, in planning for future improvements.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:05 am

Thanks for reporting.

I'm not able to replicate this issue. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:04 pm

I have had this same issue occasionally - perhaps every two weeks with different ads obscuring the text on postings.

(I'm using safari for mac and IE6 for PC, it does seem more regular when I'm accessing from UK ip addresses rather than US or Asia)

The most recent was a Hong Kong hotel group promotion.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's those freakin' Disney ads!

I've also been having this problem, particularly when I have to use a slower connection. It is absolutely the worst on pages that have those $%^&* animated Disney ads which take forever to download. I hate those ads, I hate Disney, and I hate their interference with my participation on FT.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Use Firefox + ....... or subscribe to the FT premium. Haven't seen ads on FT for ages.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by holtju2
Use Firefox + ....... or subscribe to the FT premium. Haven't seen ads on FT for ages.
yes ^ and also "safari ......." as well
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holtju2
I use Chrome.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
Thanks for reporting.

I'm not able to replicate this issue. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?
Yes! I've been reading through several of the forums (using Chrome) absorbing the wealth of information on FT and am finding this happening more and more. I have a screenshot I can send you if helpful.

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:17 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
fwiw, i was using safari on osx 10.5.8 with ....... plus and had no problems until i upgraded to snow leopard (osx 10.6 & then 10.6.1) when everything started becoming very very slow with some pages not loading.

after having a major bald moment i realized i was seeing ads (and more often than not, the big disney ad at the top of the page), i checked my safai preferences and lo and behold, ....... plus had been removed during my snow leopard installation.

....... plus will only run (for now until it is updated) under safari in 32 bit mode so quit safari, do a "get info" on it, check the "open in 32 bit mode" box, re-install ....... plus and relaunch safari and you should see ....... plus in your safari preferences.

once i did the above, my "f/t page speed" was much faster so it does appear that the ads were causing the slowdown

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.