Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Arrow Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

I'm locked out of sending more PMs today. Is there a post threshold one must reach to become established or is it a matter of time?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It's the right place. I didn't know we had PM caps on someone who has been a member for just 2 days. Hopefully someone will be along with the answer.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:31 pm

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
ah ok, thanks - it's not a big problem but wondered what was going on
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:14 am

Too many PM's in on day?

You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is in error.

I looked to see what the limit was, couldnt find it....Lets say its 5, is that 5 from 12-12, or from when the first was posted in any 24 hour period?

When does this number increase? After so many posts, or over time?

Thank you.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Same question from a month ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ed-member.html
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:42 pm

I'm having the same problem and am unable to send even one PM today.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:27 pm

Whom should I email to get this problem resolved?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:51 am

I've received an email response from an administrator so help is no longer needed.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:18 pm

I am having the same issue - and clearly cannot even reach out to an administrator for assistance. Would appreciate insight into how to avoid this.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: co b kl b
Regrettably - the same has happened to me! My conversation has been severely truncated
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:10 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Certainly sorry if there is any inconvenience. As you may be unaware, FlyerTalk is under siege daily from spammers (a very unfortunate side effect of the Internet) as as such we have in place several different plans to limit their ability to immediately sign up an account and start to spam -- send unsolicited PM or email -- to our members, which many try to do. It is likely you were unknowingly caught up in one of those situations, though they would not impede on your ability to post normally on FlyerTalk.

If you like, even if you have problems accessing PM (private messaging) you can use the "Contact Us" form in the "Help" menu at the top of the page. That will get directly to us.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Originally Posted by Accurate
Regrettably - the same has happened to me! My conversation has been severely truncated
Originally Posted by countingpea
I am having the same issue - and clearly cannot even reach out to an administrator for assistance. Would appreciate insight into how to avoid this.
Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: co b kl b
Thanks Randy

Message sent via "Contact Us"
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: AP, AM
I know this may be bumping a rather old thread, but I wanted to say I was thankful for the search features on the forum because I had the same question a few minutes ago, and voila! My answer.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Beavertails
I know this may be bumping a rather old thread, but I wanted to say I was thankful for the search features on the forum because I had the same question a few minutes ago, and voila! My answer.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Glad you were able to find the answer to your question. I hope you enjoy FlyerTalk and participate regularly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.