Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Nice parsing

I'm sure you have something to contribute, somewhere. If everyone lurked and only posted when they needed something, then there wouldn't be any content on this site.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Nice parsing

I'm sure you have something to contribute, somewhere.
I absolutely have things to contribute. That's why I'm here-

The problem is that I don't have 15 "public" things to contribute prior to contributing in excess of 5 "private" things per rolling 24 hour period. It seems to me that life is rarely that predictably mechanical. In that sense, trying to use this site is starting to feel a lot like filling out forms at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Just a couple more approved forms of I.D.. I can almost taste freedom!

If everyone lurked and only posted when they needed something, then there wouldn't be any content on this site.
Absolutely true. But wasn't the PM limit meant to deter spammers, not to "incentivize" new users to contribute?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cincofone
I absolutely have things to contribute. That's why I'm here-
Aren't you profiting in some way from these credit card referrals, either in terms of extra Southwest credits or a referral fee from Southwest? Don't you gain some type of benefit from FT members that contact you by PM?

I'm just saying that it's kind of tedious to go through this forced participation just so I can respond to PMs.
No one is forcing you to post. If you find it tedious, by all means stop posting. You're coming across as a "victim" of a process that has worked well for FT for many years. Contribute more and you'll get those extra PMs. Aren't you only contributing today so you can get more credit card referrals out there? I just find it hard to be sympathetic here.

Last edited by tom911; Dec 31, 2014 at 3:52 pm Reason: added a paragraph
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:21 pm

Hi,

I'm having the same issues! I've got a lot of private messages in my inbox from other members, yet I can't respond!

I've contacted admin via email, but if someone someone else sees this who has the power to unblock, plz let me know!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:50 pm

You joined FT yesterday and you already have high-demand for uncapped PMs? How is that? You'll just need to contribute more to get the perks that come with membership.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:55 pm

Can't help my popularity

Originally Posted by tom911
You joined FT yesterday and you already have high-demand for uncapped PMs? How is that? You'll just need to contribute more to get the perks that come with membership.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:00 pm

I don't think that's going to work on the Community Director. She has 500,000 members here that are all popular.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pwdcj
Hi,

I'm having the same issues! I've got a lot of private messages in my inbox from other members, yet I can't respond!

I've contacted admin via email, but if someone someone else sees this who has the power to unblock, plz let me know!
That would be the Community Director, and though I'll not pretend to speak on her behalf, it's not likely a variance would be granted.

In this instance, patience is a virtue.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 7, 2015 at 5:10 pm Reason: Typo repare
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by tom911
You joined FT yesterday and you already have high-demand for uncapped PMs? How is that?
When someone made such a "public announcement" in MR Forum, I won't be surprised by the number of PMs he'll receive:

Originally Posted by pwdcj
I understand it takes hard work and perseverance to get a working 3x. Before I start digging, I just want to know how/where best to go about this! Please PM me.
(bolding mine)
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:48 am

Thanks for the information! I searched and found this!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hargobind
Thanks for the information! I searched and found this!
Goodonya! ^
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold; HH <>; IHG Plat; Hertz Gold.
Am I blocked from sending PM?

Dear Admin,
I am not sure where to find you so I am posting here.
It seems that I can receive PM messages, but not send.

"You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is in error."

Can you please check for me?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:26 pm
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

Thank you for your inquiry. New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system. We don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is very minimal. Your limit will reset 24 hours after you received that warning message.

Alternatively, you can partake in the community discussions to raise your post count, and ultimately, this will remove the limit on sent messages for your account. Happy posting!

Originally Posted by pigblackdog
Dear Admin,
I am not sure where to find you so I am posting here.
It seems that I can receive PM messages, but not send.

"You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is in error."

Can you please check for me?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBgkim
New members have a PM cap limit
good idea that seems to work well, limits spam without blocking entirely
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold; HH <>; IHG Plat; Hertz Gold.
Thanks for the info.

I tend to be "quiet" --- I only registered a few days ago (of course!), but that is after a few years of viewing posts on this forum -- or, after searching online and ended up here...

Anyway, I will keep posting - but definitely not to "spam"/flood the board... :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.