Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nevaspb
Hi, I recently joined flyertalk and started exchanging private messages with a member but all of a sudden my private messages got blocked and I got this error message:

You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is in error.

What do I do? How do I fix it?
Thanks
When you have been here the requisite time and have the required number of posts, it will fix itself.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:49 am

Thanks, JDiver - so the person is sending me messages and there is nothing I can do in order to be able to reply to him?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:00 am

Thanks, JDiver - so the person is sending me messages and there is nothing I can do in order to be able to reply to him?
Unfortunately, not within the 24 hour PM time limit.

But if the member allows emails, you could reply that way.

It's an inconvenience- but as indicated in the Wikipost at the top of the page, this limit was imposed because we have had a few bad actors join and use the PM function to spam members.

You'll not have long to wait before your PM cap goes away.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:06 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Apologies for posting this (perhaps) in the wrong forum but..

I recently joined flyertalk and started exchanging private messages with a member who is helping me with MR but all of a sudden my private messages got blocked and I got this error message:

You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is in error.

How can I fix it?
Thanks
Post more. The clue is in the last sentence.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:16 am

Ok, I see it now.
I also sent a request to Administrator(?) via CONTACT US.
I hope they can override it in my case, as I am trying to find an itinerary to book today and I received a few PMs with suggestions yet I cannot even reply.
That member unfort does not accept emails...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:20 am

How much more?
Thats is totally counter-intuitive - the restriction is meant to prevent spam yet encourages me to post more (irrelevant) stuff?

How many more posts do I need?
I found a member who is helping me find a (last-min) MR for next week - and I cannot even reply. I am already in trouble bc I need to have the MR next week, otherwise I will lose my status...I cannot wait to book until tomorrow!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
How much more?
Thats is totally counter-intuitive - the restriction is meant to prevent spam yet encourages me to post more (irrelevant) stuff?

I found a member who is helping me find a (last-min) MR for next week - and I cannot even reply. I am already in trouble bc I need to have the MR next week, otherwise I will lose my status...I cannot wait to book until tomorrow!
Looking at this

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...hrs-limit.html

It seems the amount of posting needed is not publicised. If you need to contact someone about this I suggest one of the mods on the technical support board http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-feedback-386/
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
What do I do? How do I fix it?
Become a contributing member by posting in the public forums and eventually that cap will be taken off. Check the wiki at the top of this forum.

That member unfort does not accept emails...
Is there some reason those that are offering itinerary help can't post it in the public forum? That would seem to solve all your problems. Is there something secret like a fuel dump that they don't want to post publicly? You could ask him in the public thread to turn that feature (e-mail) on.

I would not expect the Community Director to override this feature just for you.

Last edited by tom911; Jun 22, 2016 at 9:47 am Reason: added a line
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:49 pm

How much more?

Admin is unlikely to release you or anyone from this restriction.

While it has created a significant inconvenience to you, we have had some serious issues in the past from new members who created accounts to spam or scam members. While it may seem a bit unfriendly and rigid of FlyerTalk to have this policy, I can assure you there's excellent reason for this one (as well as sending new members' posts to a moderation queue before members can see them if they contain certain key words, web or image links).

How about adding a post telling members in the thread you're participating they can email you? (And if this information that would be better shared with the community, requesting it be shared privately essentially goes against the purpose and spirit of FlyerTalk - where it's about sharing).
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:28 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Apologies for posting this (perhaps) in the wrong forum but..

I recently joined flyertalk and started exchanging private messages with a member who is helping me with MR but all of a sudden my private messages got blocked and I got this error message:

How can I fix it?
Thanks
Welcome to Flyertalk. You can remove the limit by making quality contributions (posts) to the site.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:23 am

As long as you're getting incoming messages, it doesn't seem like such a big burden to have to wait a little to reply.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
established community member

How do you become an established member? I cannot send private messages.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:24 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Hi there. Sounds like you may have sent the maximum amount PMs for new members. After doing so, you'll have a cool off period for about a day. However, just keep posting and your PM limits will lift. Hope that helps!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hi there. Sounds like you may have sent the maximum amount PMs for new members. After doing so, you'll have a cool off period for about a day. However, just keep posting and your PM limits will lift. Hope that helps!
Thank you
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:26 pm

Daily restriction on pm (to merge)

Hi. May I know what is the daily restrictions on pm, please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.